iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

80 year old Hazelnut trees

Started by redbeard, November 06, 2010, 11:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

I picked up several loads of Hazelnut trees from a local farmer his orchard has suffered a blight problem, I left the root ball attached hoping to find some burl. Learning curve on the first one, but it turned out alright they showed some promise this one was hallow in the trunk figured it would be good for practice. The dark staining is from clay pockets going to have to clean better.

Normally Hazelnut grows like a bush so to find trunks this big makes these 80 plus years old. You can spot some of the juvenile trunks in the piles, I had to take all that he ripped out of orchard that was part of the deal.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

backwoods sawyer

You can spend a lot of time pulling boards out of orchard trees. I have a walnut orchard job coming up where I will be just milling the best logs that can be found to make flooring. The orchard has been in the owners family since before it was planted. All of the nut trees have wood that can be worth the time and effort to mill up. Good to see you putting that truck to good use.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

Tell the truth, how long did that take to dull the blade. Well worth it even if you got a dull blade or 2.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

TreeBones

Sometimes you just never know what you get until you open it up. I Have found some nice hollow spots from orchard trunks and burl wood root balls. I look forward to cutting more orchard wood next spring.

Okrafarmer

Nice stuff, keep us posted. Are hazlenuts the same as philberts?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redbeard

I did a little web surfing on it and they use to make staffs for kings and magical wands for magicians, so maybe some magic can rub off on me that would be nice. Yes they are in the philbert family.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

SwampDonkey

We only have the beaked hazel variety up this way. Pretty hard to find one larger than your thumb. ;D

Looks like some interesting wood you have there.

I've seen staghorn sumac used and it looks a lot like butternut. But, it's not so easy to find it big enough.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 08, 2010, 03:46:34 AM
We only have the beaked hazel variety up this way. Pretty hard to find one larger than your thumb. ;D

Looks like some interesting wood you have there.

I've seen staghorn sumac used and it looks a lot like butternut. But, it's not so easy to find it big enough.

We have the shrub here also, doesn't get very large but those little nuts sure a are good. I can't ever seem to get any though as soon as they start getting mature they disappear in a hurry around here. Very hard to compete with the squirrels for them things they are about the best tasting nut there is around these parts.

SwampDonkey

Our last hazel crop around here was 2006. There was a guy cutting brush for me and his woman picked a whole burlap sack full on one of our thinnings. If there was hazelnuts then we'd find them if there were any decent crops because we cut millions of them. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

The hazelnut crop was a darn good one around here this year.  Wished I had some pics of picking them this year.  We just decided to go for a walk and check on a few beaver dams that were backing water up.  We ended up going to get a few pails and filed em up in short order. The moose really love em and they don't last long as they can graze over a large area pretty quick. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Okrafarmer

Those moose have to get fat for the winter.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Coon

Those moose don't need to fatten up for the winter... they need to fatten up for my freezer.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!