iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help please on a 3-53

Started by rick f, January 30, 2014, 05:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Ok cold weather last week, the engine ran well on the yard warming up, start into the woods and it would bog down . It was like it was running out of fuel, it would start sputtering , dieing out then clen itsefe out and run fine. Let it idel while cutting a twitch, ran and sounded fine. Climb on step on the pedel and she would sputter and almost die then clear and run fine. There is no black smoke or anyother color. I changed both fuel filter, used 911 , blowed the fuel line back into the tank and still the same thing. I'm going to try some atf today and see if that helps.
Since this started I've seen some oil dripping out the air filter box, air filter is clean. Any ideas what that is all about?

Thank you rick
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

plasticweld

Mine did the same thing a couple of winters ago. I had either ice or a clog in the fuel tank pick up. I brought a small air tank to the job and blew the lines from the engine  back to the tank, both the return and the pickup. I did it when the engine was warm so it would start up again easily. I am not sure what the blockage was but it solved the problem. I had done all the things you mentioned first with no results but this worked..Bob

David-L

Dido, sounds like a fuel restriction. The oil part could be from lots of idling( Blower seals )? My machine has a drain on the fuel tank and in warmer weather I drain a handful out once and awhile.

David
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Woodboogah

Sounds like the identical thing that just happened to me with my 4-53.  It ended up being bad fuel in the tank.  I put an auxilary tank on top of the hood and piped it in the primary fuel filter.  Started right up and ran fine.  Drained tank, and flushed I have been good to do go since.  There is a post "My 4-43 quit on me today".  Hope that helps some.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

rick f

Just an update
Found the oil leak in the air filter, it was the nut that backed off the oil pressure gauge.

I replaced a line that looked bad, it wasn't. It still did the same thing. Today I ran it out of fuel then took the valve off the tank, it was full of snit and a small piece of stick, cleaned it all out, refueled with 5 gallons, checked the filters for fuel still full, so I fired it up barked real nice. I brought the hitch to the yard with no problem.

I think life will be better now, or until next time.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

rockwall

All right, way to go! At least it won't be too warm today! -5 here

lynde37avery

usually that sound i found out is one of a few things. something in the fuel tank "stick, sawdust piece" or water/ice in the fuel. mine was water. i used some power service stuff. and after running 15 fresh gallons of heavily treated diesel it has been fine for 2 loads of logs worth "20 + hrs of work"
Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!