iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wage question

Started by nhlogga, February 15, 2014, 06:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlogga

What is a reasonable wage for a guy who has 10+ years experience on a grapple skidder, can run a slasher ok, has a little experience on a wheeled feller buncher, do some mechanic (fix hoses, change out parts incl engines) pm on equipment and trucks, make hoses with hose machine, maintain chipper incl sharpening chipper knives, go get parts as he knows where most dealers and hyd shops and aftermarket parts places are, has own truck with own basic tools up to 3/4 dr, has own chain saws and has completed logger certification. Said guy works 10-12hr days monday thru friday and 6-10hrs on sat? What is a reasonable hourly, daily, weekly wage?
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

CCC4

Is this a trick question?  :o Are you wanting to hire him? All I can say is that if he is legit...you better have deep pockets. If you land him and he is what you expect...take care of him!  That's quite a resume....almost tooo good.

JoeB

Yea, what CCC4 said, plus bonus @ Christmas.

POC

Quote from: CCC4 on February 15, 2014, 06:27:11 PM
Is this a trick question?  :o Are you wanting to hire him? All I can say is that if he is legit...you better have deep pockets. If you land him and he is what you expect...take care of him!  That's quite a resume....almost tooo good.
Me thinks OP *IS* that guy.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

pine

Quote from: POC on February 15, 2014, 06:41:05 PM
Me thinks OP *IS* that guy.

I do believe you are correct in your thinking

NWP

Sounds like he must be self employed in the wood industry.  ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

nhlogga

I am "said guy" and currently recieve a check for $700 as a sub. I take out my own taxes. I work for a cranky guy in his 70's who can't pick up a 1/2" air gun above his waist. All his equipment is falling apart around him. Patch it up and go. I get told how stupid I am daily plus other Ax Men like expressions. I feel overworked and underpaid. I think it's time to move on!
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

beenthere

I would say that you are correct in your thinking.

Good luck to you.

Pick up and go, or stay only if you become THE "boss" - period.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Maine logger88

Well if you work 60 hours a week and make 700 that's only 11.6 dollars per hour before taxes that's not much for a experienced man
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

redprospector

I had a rather large/over weight guy tell me a few years ago that he couldn't run my skidder for less than $35 an hour. I told him "you're right, you can't run my skidder". He definitely didn't have all the qualifications that you mentioned though.
At $700 with those qualifications, you may quite possibly be under paid. Just make sure you don't make yourself "un paid" without having something else on the hook.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

nhlogga

Quote from: redprospector on February 15, 2014, 07:54:35 PM
I had a rather large/over weight guy tell me a few years ago that he couldn't run my skidder for less than $35 an hour. I told him "you're right, you can't run my skidder". He definitely didn't have all the qualifications that you mentioned though.
At $700 with those qualifications, you may quite possibly be under paid. Just make sure you don't make yourself "un paid" without having something else on the hook.

I am looking. Possibly in another line of work. Got a couple interviews this week for warehouse and manufacturing positions. Been in the woods since I got out of high school in '97. If I stay in the woods I was thinking $20/hr might be a reasonable rate as a sub.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Nemologger

You should hire on by the foot....then the sky is the limit.
Clean and Sober

treeslayer2003

Quote from: nhlogga on February 15, 2014, 08:15:33 PM
Quote from: redprospector on February 15, 2014, 07:54:35 PM

I am looking. Possibly in another line of work. Got a couple interviews this week for warehouse and manufacturing positions. Been in the woods since I got out of high school in '97. If I stay in the woods I was thinking $20/hr might be a reasonable rate as a sub.
nh, don't you work with family? I may be mistakin....that can be complicated.
far as your wages, plenty of weeks I don't have that left over. just depends on what broke.
if you need to talk or BS pm me, i'll listen.

nhlogga

Yeah I work with family member. I know what the going pay rate is around here. As a sub it's $150/day which figures out to 18.75 on 8 hrs. Some pay up to $25/hr. The big companies that take out taxes pay $12/hr and up to operate a grapple skidder and you work long hrs but are usually living in a motel all week or traveling up to 1 1/2 one way to the jobsite which eats up your paycheck in gas. It definately is not easy.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

lynde37avery

warehouse jobs usually have a benefits package i have had those before. most i ever made was 12/hr at packing grocery pallets. but it was a nice work area in the building. i did logging for my self on the weekends. firewood etc. make a good 800-1000+ if a guy wanted to that way.
and you are very qualified for any woods job it sounds. i dont even know how to do all that king of repairs and equip op.
Detroit WHAT?

cutter88

up here my employee (only one) cuts and skids 9 hours a day has little to no mechanical skills he has some expierence bucking up and I have to give him a ride to work daily he makes $20 an hour and gets about 47 hours a week
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Ryan D

I give my guys the option of hourly or by the cord for every job. $15/hour or somewhere around $25/cord. A lot of the work we do is early thinnings and TSI so they normally choose hourly. They have their own saws, trucks and tools. I provide fuel, oil, bars and chains for the saws. When working hourly I do a load bonus so there is still some incentive to give that extra little push.

We only log in the winter time. Normally we are doing PCT work which is paid by the hectare.

clww

$700 per week is more than I make, after taxes, but I'm not expected to perform that large a variety of tasks at the job site either.
If it were me, I'd start looking elsewhere, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

plasticweld

I am a firm believer the only way you are going to ever get what you are worth is if you are on a percentage or quota based pay. My guys can chose either one. they have chosen the daily rate just so they would know what they could count on every week. I could never work that way myself so gave them the production offer. I guess this is the difference between and employer and the help. I gamble every week what I will make knowing that I could make a lot of money or lose my shirt. I have seen the bottom of the mountain and the top in this business and I guess I enjoy the journey as much as the destination. For you; what makes you happy? A steady pay check or a chance to do better than the other guy. I know as a business man I reward the guy who is willing to take a chance with me than one who is willing to play it safe. Experienced guys are almost impossible to find, I end up doing all of the training. I would be spoiled if I could just tell a new guy there are the trees put them in a pile to picked up by the log truck

nhlogga

Quote from: lynde37avery on February 16, 2014, 09:33:37 AM
warehouse jobs usually have a benefits package i have had those before. most i ever made was 12/hr at packing grocery pallets. but it was a nice work area in the building. i did logging for my self on the weekends. firewood etc. make a good 800-1000+ if a guy wanted to that way.
and you are very qualified for any woods job it sounds. i dont even know how to do all that king of repairs and equip op.

This is exactly what I am looking to do.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

loggah

Sounds like you should be working for yourself!!!  then if your lucky you will be making just about the same after a week of logging,repairing, hunting for jobs ,chasing down your checks for the logs and dealing with landowners!! the only difference is your your own boss !!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

MEloggah

Where in nh are ya. All these boys round here get is 14-17 an hr

nhlogga

Quote from: MEloggah on February 16, 2014, 03:18:13 PM

Southern NH. I would not complain about $17/hr
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Dave VH

Yall live in a different world than what I'm used to.  I have a couple guys that I pay 20 an hour and one that I pay 25 an hour.  They are all carpenters, but we do some logging.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

dgdrls

Quote from: nhlogga on February 16, 2014, 04:16:44 PM
Quote from: MEloggah on February 16, 2014, 03:18:13 PM

Southern NH. I would not complain about $17/hr

I feel for you,  by description you have a solid experience base to work from,
perhaps other reasons are holding you at that job and in that area?

I remember in college one of the Prof's used to say "more often than not, you have to go to where the work is
or tolerate what you have where you are"

Best
DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!