iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bundled Camp Firewood We don't get payed enough

Started by Gearbox, May 17, 2019, 10:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

It's evolved into  a bunch of stuff .From the old pot bellys like warm morning or round oak to plate steel with circulation fans and catalytic converters ,for what ever good they do, to corn burners and pellet burners .Then along came outside boilers that keep the mess outside,heat the water, heat the house devour firewood .
Then you have a select group who buy the bundles for a weanie roast or a romantic evening watching the fire in the fire place or outside. A lot of players here if you add them up . :)

barbender

A lot of players, and I'll sell them all wood for the right price😊
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 22, 2019, 06:25:57 PM
Granite state
Drive up with you dump trailer
I will load you up with all 4ft to 6ft dry pine you want.
Bruno, 
I got to make it to your side of the State sometime soon.  I really want to take a walk through one of the "Running's" stores over your way!  But first I got to sell more wood, so I can afford to buy the stuff I wore out making wood  :(
Pulled my pine / hemlock campwood add weeks ago.  I've still got one or two cord to do up for the same campground that bought up most of the stuff I had.  The next cord should go ok, all processor wood, the last one didn't cost much, but it ain't gonna be fun, big & ugly, like me!  As my buddy that dropped it said, "price is right (way right!) and begger's can't be chooser's!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: barbender on May 23, 2019, 12:29:36 PM
A lot of players, and I'll sell them all wood for the right price😊
barbender,
I like that, but with a few caveat's!
  First, I don't processes anything under 15in in length.  My neighbor burns 14in-15in stuff, not a problem, takes only a bit longer than 16in, but he's the only one I'll do it for.  We used to have a customer that wanted 12in long wood.  It took FOREVER to make a cord, and time is money!
  Second, I deliver to you, please be home when we set up the drop off time, and when I tell you I'm a truck with a dump trailer, please keep in mind I won't fit between the house and the garage if you can't get the mower between the two!  Also, if you don't know where the septic is, this guys truck and trailer ain't going looking for it for you!  :o 
  I'm sure there's more, but they are all escaping me at the moment!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Corley5

I've made the cost of wood less than 15" prohibitive for buyers 😉😎. Last short wood client was 10".  He passed away and his widow left.  Done with that client.  She came back to town.  One more time.  She passed away.  Done again.  I told them both to get a real stove.  Their place sold and someone gave them my name for firewood.  Still the same stove.  I priced wood really high.  He said it's fine.  I told him to get a real stove.  I still didn't want to be bothered with it and told him I couldn't get to it until after the Holidays and we'd make contact then.  He didn't call and neither did I 😀👍
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

We made 200 bundles in 2 hours and 15 minutes the other night.  That includes time switching two rolls rolls of wrap.  We started with a partial roll and ended with a partial roll.  The firewood machine needed a fresh chain in that time too.  That gave Brandon time to catch me.  Should be good on bundles now until the week before the Fourth.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GRANITEstateMP

Corley5,

I too got caught on the upping the price to try and drive them away deal   :-\.  After a second year of making the miserable 12in wood, I told the fella, he'd either need a new stove or a new wood supplier, his wood was taking almost 2x's as long as a normal cord, and even if he paid me 2x's as much, I still didn't want to make it!  Well, the next spring I got a call, guess who got a new stove!

I only tell my clients about new stoves when they'll take a 20 - 26in stick, then my built in eye-chrometer measuring stick don't need to be as accurate! ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

Too bad you guys can't make a little kicker to reroute those short chunks you end up with at the end of the log for those customers😁

GRANITEstateMP

Barbender,

I take all the shorts and toss them in a few bins I have near the processor.  All that stuff goes up to either my in laws, or my wife's uncles outdoor boiler.  I'd rather GIVE those shorts away vs make a whole cord of em! ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

Well I'm saying, you're making them anyways- without even trying! Trying to save up a cord for a customer might be like saving pennies, though😊

Rebarb

I cut firewood for a local State park and get called quite often, they sell a lot and pay me respectfully.
The park ranger wants all the trees of heaven cut first, claims invasive species. Lol

I wouldn't want to bundle, sell and deal with the public.....just cut.

Gearbox

I got rid of the first PU load. I figured I made a $ 1.75 an hour . Well maybe a little more before delivery gas . Its a good thing I got a steady pay check coming in or I could never afford all this fun .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Bruno of NH

I made up a bunch of bundles of kindling wood yesterday. 
Got more to make and some camp bundles. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Granite 
I stay out of Runnings 
I spend to much money in there. 
I haven't been in since I can't walk very good.
It's a great store much better than tractor supply
Better quality stuff
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hedgerow

Quote from: Gearbox on May 25, 2019, 11:05:21 PM
I got rid of the first PU load. I figured I made a $ 1.75 an hour . Well maybe a little more before delivery gas . Its a good thing I got a steady pay check coming in or I could never afford all this fun .
Its paying as well as bean and corn farming has the last several years. You need a full time job so you can afford to farm. 

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: hedgerow on May 26, 2019, 10:12:32 PM
Quote from: Gearbox on May 25, 2019, 11:05:21 PM
Its paying as well as bean and corn farming has the last several years. You need a full time job so you can afford to farm.
That sounds more profitable than dairy farming in NH too! Let me ask my brother in law... He said if there is a + in front of the price vs a -, then your doing good! ;D

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Al_Smith

:D When I sold firewood I had a lady with a free standing contraction that looked like an upside down funnel that would only take about a 12" piece .I would just cut right down through a 16"  face cord stack and sell her 8" pieces .She was happy and bought about a cord a year at $30 a face cord .That funnel gizmo with a screen around it most likely wasn't a good heater ,just for ambiance .At the time I was getting $80 a cord . 

Ianab

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 29, 2019, 05:52:28 AM
:D When I sold firewood I had a lady with a free standing contraction that looked like an upside down funnel that would only take about a 12" piece .I would just cut right down through a 16"  face cord stack and sell her 8" pieces .She was happy and bought about a cord a year at $30 a face cord .That funnel gizmo with a screen around it most likely wasn't a good heater ,just for ambiance .At the time I was getting $80 a cord .
I used to live in a house that had one of those. I swear when you lit it, the house got colder  :D
All the funnel did was collect warm air in the room and use the heat from the fire to suck it all out. 
It soon got deep sixed and a better free standing wood burner fitted in it's place. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!