iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this??

Started by flip, March 02, 2009, 09:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Co worker brought this chunk in for ID.  Very stringy and hard to split with ax.  I think elm but not sure.

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Dodgy Loner

It's elm :).  Looks like winged elm.  You're right at the edge of its range.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Looks like American elm, even that thin bark. Is the outer bark corky with alternating brown and white layers? I'd have to wade snow to the shop with a flashlight to get a sample. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

flip

Heavy as all heck, center is hard as a rock, bark is very hard and rough wood is very stringy.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

SwampDonkey

Not American then, it's not too heavy when dry. Rock elm then?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Definitely sounds like a hard elm.  Winged elm is a hard elm, but you may have rock elm (Ulmus thomasii), the hardest of them all.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

pigman

flip, I don't know what kind of wood you have, but I would suggest not trying to split the block on the desk.  ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Quote from: pigman on March 06, 2009, 05:11:19 PM
flip, I don't know what kind of wood you have, but I would suggest not trying to split the block on the desk.  ;)

I agree.  At least set it on the floor  :).  I try not to mess with elm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Make sure it's concrete floor.  ;D :D

Thank You Sponsors!