iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low cost molder recommendations?

Started by Osric, May 18, 2007, 10:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osric

I'm debating on buying a low cost, relatively light duty molder.  Anyone know of a brand that is low cost? 

I have a Jet 15" planer, but support said that they don't work as molders.  Can I buy blades for my planer from a 3rd party that would let it turn double duty?  I'm really only looking at milling a couple hundred linear feet, so I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg.  Would just like to use the wood I've cut and dried for baseboards and door casing.

Homer

Osric; What about a molding head for a table saw.Delta and craftsman to name 2. Homer

tomboysawyer

I bought a used William & Hussey on eBay.

http://www.williamsnhussey.com

There are many reasons to buy high quality used equipment not the least of which, a 20 year old W & H is as good as a brand new anything and it isn't depreciating any more.

That means all you pay, for however many board feet you are going to cut, is the cost of shipping the machine.

Besides, all us woodworkers know when we say we are "only" going to do this much that it turns out that we liked this so we try that and before you know it, you're doin' 4 times that much and maybe we don't want to sell it afterall.

TexasTimbers

I have to chime in with tomboy. Used American made is where it's at in my book in most cases. My wife and i drove to Tennessee to buy a 1947 Oliver 270D 16" table saw and try putting any of the Grizzly stuff up against it and it's no contest.

For a moulder I "settled" for a 25" used Woodmaster planer/moulder/sander/gang rip. I got 18 sets of pattern knives with it, 3 gang rip blades, extra planer knives, sandpaper, slick bed kit, variable speed feed roller kit, all that for less than a new cheap Grizzly.

Be patient and look around. You can always find old American made (and some still new American) and nothing made elswhere can stand up to it IMO.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

tomboysawyer

Maybe I should also say I bought a used W & H for $1000 on eBay. The shipping cost me $75.

I know I'll buy a few knives for it, but W & H still makes their knives in New Hampshire. You can check the web site, but a new one runs about $2500.

Whenever possible, I find buying used is friendly both for the environment and the wallet, but I have to second kevjay on the general idea of buying American - new or used.

I know that tomorrow I can put my W & H back on eBay and get my $1000 back. If I put pictures of all the great stuff I molded, maybe I could recoup my shipping. I can also sell my blades. My machine came with a set of new planer blades.

I actually went to an auction JUST to bid on a used 16" circular saw. I got an older, all metal case Makita (I know, not American - but no American company makes a timber circular saw that I know of) for $300. The newer one went for almost what you can buy a new one for - which is about $600. I bought a lot of other used stuff too.

It takes time and knowledge to buy used. In the process of buying used equipment - dozers, backhoes, woodworking equipment, 2 sawmills, a power nailer... I learn a lot about the equipment too. I also know it isn't convenient to buy used. But the time invested in learning and the money you save for a better piece of equipment has tremendous rewards.

Cedarman

When we built our house in 92 we made all are own trim for doors and windows. We used a router and router table.  Now nothing fancy.  Just 3/4 round for the edge and 3 grooves down the boards starting about 3" from each end.  I made all the stiles for our porch and stairway using the same router.  I planed the pieces to 1 1/2 square and chopped to length.  Then made a little jig for the router table and used a shaping bit and cut a fancy groove down the center of each face.  Then changed to another fance bit and did the corners. 

We have a small Dominion moulder now, but it always takes me 2 or 3 hours to change over. Some of that time is sharpening the knives.  Once I get the moulder set up I like longs runs. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

srt

Ditto the Williams and Hussey Molder.  I've used one for about 10 years to make custom trim as part of my business.  Check the rollers aren't eaten away.  When you're done with it, you can get your money back, and then sell the cutters separately on EBAY.  They're nice folks to deal with also. 

Thank You Sponsors!