iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire wood market

Started by Peck, February 04, 2004, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peck

Can anyone tell me what a 16 in diameter Pin Oak on the stump would be worth for fire wood? I have approx 250 14 - 22 inch low-grade Pin Oaks that I am looking to have cut .  These trees are tall and straight. Loggers have given me prices in the $10 to $20 each range to be used for pallet wood. I would think the trees would be worth more than that to somone who sells fire wood, maybe not.     Thank you

Ron Wenrich

Probably not.  Firewood is more labor and energy intensive than sawing into lumber.  Also, the firewood market is very cyclical.  You don't sell much between February and August, so you have carrying costs.

Cordwood volume is probably about 1/2 cord per tree (more on the larger trees), plus there would be more in topwood.  Or, there is about 1.5 ton of cordwood per tree.  I'm not too certain what the pulpwood prices on the stump are in your area.

You're being quoted about $75/Mbf.  That sounds low, but I don't know your markets or your logging conditions.  Pin oak isn't a very high value wood.  Its uses includes pallets and railroad ties (a much better market).

Get more than one opinion.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ed_K

In my area I pay $5. to $7. a cord on the stump. Go with the pallet logger, it'll pay a little more. And you can salvage the cordwood after for extra.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Up North here stumpage for hardwood pulp is $25 -$40 CDN a cord ($70/MFBM pallet). $10 to $20 USD per tree seems a little low. Why fuss over the per tree value for low value species ( to much conflict). Why not go by volume in cords ($30/cord) or weight in tons ($12.50/ton) or scale it ($70/MFBM)?

Just lookin from a different perspective. Hope you get the best deal possible. Long time to grow them trees. :)

regards

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

I always figured firewood is worth $5.00 / cord on the stump, so go with the pallet wood.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Peck

cdn, mfbn, mbf? All Greek to me. Can someone define these abbreviations for me?  Thank you

woodmills1

Makes you think.  Five a cord on the stump, 25 to 35 on the landing, 50 to 65 delivered.  100 to 140 cut split delivered and 150 to 200 cut split dry and delivered.  I think I will stay where I am with mr sun putting in some value added.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frickman

cdn - Canadian
mbf - Thousand Board Feet
mfbm - I have no idea
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

I am sure you could earn a lot more by selling it to individual "cutters" as firewood for $40+ a cord green and uncut.

Though you would have to police each cutter and if one does something extremely stupid, such as killing themselves or  putting a hole in a fuel tank and dumping 30 gallons of gasoline in a protected area, you will end up owing money.

Get a release form signed.

For the relative small amount, $25x250 = $6250, you are earning, what shape the property will be left in afterwards would be the main concern. I would hate to clean up the tops of 250 oaks. If the property is going to be 'clean' without a chipper that is about 1800 hours of work (250*7) or 43 solid weeks of work.

Plus, what shape will it be in to plant more tree$ afterwards?

For a professional and tidy job, $20 might be about the best you can earn. Like anything, 3+ quotes with one from outside your area. I would consider someone small that is more likely to pay more if they can turn it into lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!