iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carpenter bees again

Started by Ironwood, April 30, 2009, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Tis' again the season, and things are buzzing. My buddy asked if anyone has better sucess w/, say oak soffit vs. pine for keeping the darn things from boring?

Any experience w/ them in hardwood or do they avoid it?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

PineNut

Only success I have had is to cover the wood with metal. They will even work on treated wood.

Tim/South

They have been buzzing around here for a couple of weeks now.
The only thing I have found that works is a tennis racket. It ads a new meaning to the term slice and dice.

Ironwood

Thanks, metal (YUP)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

blame

old man use to spray the boards in the machine shed with used motor oil, it was a yearly process.  but not very eco friendly  but thats what he did 

Ironmower

Wrap with metal, thats the only eco-friendly cure I know ;) I also knew a fella that treated his log cabin with old motor oil every year, no bees.....A couple other log homes in the area are completely infested to the point that the bees chewed clean through the place :o Some of the homeowners opted to get their homes "tented" and bombed. Not sure of the exact cost, but I beleive it was over 5 grand :o :o. Still don't keep the bees out >:(
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

jrdwyer

I made the mistake of using some untreated 2x4 SPF for the braces under my open sided woodshed. It's candy to wood/carpenter bees. I did fill a previous years hole with latex caulk, but the following year they just preceded to make a new hole. As it is away from my house, I am just letting nature go.

A logger told he that a wood bee sting is very painful. Based on the size of the bees, I can believe it.

I did read an article in our local paper stating that oil based paint or primer is not to the bees liking. I have not tried this myself though.

The new Timbersil product on the market is supposed to be rot/bug proof. It is SYP pressure treated with a glass substance. Not a whole lot of distributors yet and not many people have used it. It does look very promising and could even bring back the use of wood shakes and shingles. I am thinking about it for a wood deck redo in a few years.

Dan_Shade

is there a wood the they prefer over other woods?

if there is, a sacrificial block hung out somewhere might work.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Stephen1

I have included a link from Schroeder log home supplies for a carpenter bee trap.last year was the 1st time we have seen them here, I have not seen them farther north than Toronto yet! At least not at my log cabin in Muskoka.

http://www.loghelp.com/info/buginfo.html
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dodgy Loner

They seem to prefer the spruce and white pine lumber around here.  Yellow pine has much fewer problems.  I've never once seen them in treated lumber.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Lanier_Lurker

If you want to see them chowing down on pressure treated SYP, just come to my place.  I'm not sure what to do.  >:(

Last year I chased them around and sealed as many as I could into their holes using a tube of construction glue.  Of course, the one that was able to chew his way out before dying came right out of the top cap on the railing and left a huge ragged hole.  I also think some of the eggs hatched inside the sealed tunnels and the little ones ate their way out.

Perhaps an eco-friendly pepper spray or something?

Scuba_Dave

One of the only pests thaqt I spray with insecticide
I kill them anywhere I find them in the yard
I do need a tennis racket

bck

My treated wood looks like swiss cheese.  Before they changed the formula they wouldnt mess with treated wood. 
They like my yellow pine too.

Handy Andy

Beins as the wife works at walmart, I buy some foaming bug spray there.  Just spray it in the hole, and it fills the passage with that stuff.  Then I drive a plug in the hole.  Never seen one of those bees come out again.  Like the idea of a tennis racket though.  Our coop manager uses bird shot, sits out in the door of his shed, drinks beer and shoots bees with his pistol.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ironmower

Quote from: Handy Andy on May 01, 2009, 10:21:59 PM
  Beins as the wife works at walmart, I buy some foaming bug spray there.  Just spray it in the hole, and it fills the passage with that stuff.  Then I drive a plug in the hole.  Never seen one of those bees come out again.  Like the idea of a tennis racket though.  Our coop manager uses bird shot, sits out in the door of his shed, drinks beer and shoots bees with his pistol.
:D :D I like this method, sounds like fun; bird shot, beer & bees ;D  there's a new country song  8)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

thedeeredude

They absolutely do not bother our hemlock siding.  They've come inside after poplar parts, but never bother with the hemlock siding or framing.  Was also told that borax treatment doesn't prevent, but after the bee bores in the wood, it has a death sentence.

fishpharmer

I used to have a  little log home, when I was single.  DanG bees loved it more than I did.  They had some kinda colony going on in the logs right next to my beds headboard.  The buzzing would wake me up in the morning. 

But I did something similar to Handy Andy.  Mixed up some Diazinon, strong like too.  Put the nozzle in the hole and sprayed till it dripped out.  Usually no bees made it out alive.  Then after it dried out I filled it with the best color matched caulk I could find.  Never saw one come thru the caulk.  I figured it was just a maintanence thing for southern log homes.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Slabs

I saw a first yesterday.  A bee hole in my OSB siding on the woodshop.  They've been working on the pressure-treated fascia for years.

This is not to say that they've been getting away unharmed.  The bee-bat score is quite high this year.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Don K

Driving down the road you can tell who has bee problems. You see a guy out in the yard in his shorts no shirt or in his bathrobe and slippers swinging wildly away at the air with a trennis racket or one of those kids plastic ball bats.   :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don, the bee swatter
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

petefrom bearswamp

They like my EWP shop soffit and facia, but don't bother my WRC sided house as yet.
Beer ,Firearms and Bees not to mention close proximity to a building. What could possibly go wrong??>
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!