iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bitter Cherry and Big Leaf Maple Questions

Started by Whit Spurzon, November 28, 2008, 09:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit Spurzon

I recently cut down a Bitter Cherry (Prunus emarginata) and would like to know if there is something I can do to keep the stump from sprouting.

Also I have some Big Leaf Maples (Acer Macrophyllum) that is shedding sections of bark.  It doesn't appear to be mechanical damage.  The patches appear mainly on the trunk sections.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Onthesauk

Don't know about the cherry, but my experience with the big leaf maple has been when something changes with groundwater or runoff, i.e. logging or clearing upstream or above them.  May take a number of years.  They just seem to be sensitive to changes in water.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Norm

I treat cut stumps with Tordon RTU. It's best used within a couple of days after felling.

Stephen_Wiley

Whit,

If you only cut down 'one' cherry:  cut stump to ground (lowest level of saw); than cover with 1.5 feet of soil. If 'suckers' appear beyond stump on lateral roots either treat same way or take ax, grub or pulaski and cut roots.

Concerning the 'A. macrophyllum' loss of bark is an indication of several bacteria and fungal diseases. Some more serious than others.  Need to have a qualified pathologist trained arborist or forester examine the trees.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

thecfarm

What I do when I cut a tree that I don't want to sucker out.I cut a bowl into the stump and keep it full of rock salt and water.If it needs water I put the water to it,salt all gone I fill it back up with salt.I use this on any of the poplar,(aspen).These will really sucker out not from the stump,but from the roots.The ground will be covered with shoots.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!