iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Robins is Spring near?

Started by Dana, February 22, 2006, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

For those who believe Robins are the messagers of Spring. Today, my son and I saw not one, but four. 8) They were checking out a spot where I had just turned over fresh dirt while snowplowing.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

crtreedude

The only thing I know that is spelled that way is an Ice Cream place (Baskin Robbins) - isn't that a sign of summer?  ::) - couldn't resist.

One of the many weird things about down here is that the national bird is a Robin. Go figure, we have Toucans and Quetzels and Harpy Eagles, and like 800 birds - and they picked a grey colored robin.  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dana

Robbins, bobbins ;D I guess I could, I should, have used spell checker. Back to the post to modifiy my spelling. ::) :)

beenthere

The bluebirds showed up this morning, and checking over the bluebird house. There is still snow on the ground, so don't know if they will stick around because they can sense it will be in the 40's the rest of the week. Gonna be a heat wave! :D 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

What is really weird about picking a Robin for a national bird, we don't even HAVE a spring...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dana

I believe, they are still the "official" bird of Michigan. They are not even true full time residents. :D Beenthere any photo's or dimensions on the bluebird houses?

sawguy21

Lots of Canada geese moving in. AHH yes, the sound of spring. Right after I left Alberta it turned cold and started to snow. I left my (unused) snowthrower with a friend and from all accounts he is getting lots of use out of it ;D -29C there last week. I will most definately not miss that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

I saw two robins Saturday and heard one today 8) 8) 8) 8)  Maybe it's going to be spring after all ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

solodan

well it aint spring here. >:(
got 12" of  snow today, 2 " saturday, 18" Friday, 18" the sat before,and a few 8" storms in between and a few feet the week before and the week before.  when this post started in february it was 70 degrees. :-\

isawlogs

If the robins plan on coming here they best bring shovels and there lunch bag with them .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bill Johnson

Don't forget the snowshoes and fur coat Marcel, they're liable to freeze their tail feathers off ;D.

Seriously, though no robins yet, but there was a skunk out wandering around in the driveway last night, and we've already had a nuisance bear reported.
Bill

Minnesota_boy

I don't think we have nuisance bears here, just a few more packages in the freezer. 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

A hungry bear with cubs is not fun to play with. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

solodan

there was a skunk around my place last night too, and even though we have recieved 10 feet of snow in the past three weeks, most of the bears in the low and front  country don't hibernate here. snow is melting quickly here , and  it's supposed to get into the high 50's today.

Norm

The robins have been here for a few weeks as well as a bunch of migratory waterfowl that use the pond for a resting spot. My favorite one that has just shown up is the bluebirds. For some reason we have a bunch that nest at our place, over at our old place it was rare to see them stick around. In the summer after they hatch out the babies they sit up on the power wires then swoop down to grab grasshoppers and crickets off the driveway.

SwampDonkey

Still no robins, black birds or killdeer here yet. But....but I say, I did see a Northern Shriek today hunting for mice and little birds. It sure is an aggressive bird for being no bigger than a jay.  ;D We only see them in migration here, they go up further north.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

Since I am close to Lake Ontario and quite a few apple orchards we have robins all year. They hang around the brushy areas and live on unpicked apples all winter. They also do quite a job on my mountain ash berries. They stuff themselves on berries and then roost in my pine trees. Every summer I have lots of little ash trees sprouting under the pines. They are planted and fertilized by the robins all in one motion.

Lots of geese and swans flying around and the other day I saw a real sign of warmer weather even if it is still colder than normal. Saw a buzzard circling and I know if they show up it is going to be warming up soon.

beenthere

Dana
Sorry to take so long getting back on the bluebird house. I took some pics right away, and then they just sat in the camera.
Here is one of the house (on a pole to discourage the racoons and cats and works real well). It has a side panel that hinges up for cleaning. An extra block over the hole to make it more difficult to reach in with a paw (before the pipe pole).

Looking back at my house where observing the bluebirds is a favorite passtime.

I built that fence in 1965 from lumber (white oak posts and red oak boards) in the summer of 1966. When I lose a post, I store the boards for making picture frames where I want a weathered look. Has held up well over the past 40 years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dana

Thanks for the photo's Beenthere. What size is the birdhouse hole? Do they need a certain size nesting cavity?

beenthere

The hole for bluebirds is 1½" diam, and the height of this box is 10", and about 6" square. The side panel opens (hinges on the screws) for cleaning (which I do after each hatch leaves which sometimes is three times a summer season). 

I only have to battle the sparrows that sometimes can pester the bluebirds, but .22 bird shot does it well.
south central Wisconsin

Furby

Spring is HERE!
Actually got a heavy sweat while working AND.........
The flying bloodsuckers are out! :o >:(

Dana

Two more signs of spring. Friday, the honey bee's were checking out the red pine I cut on the sawmill. The peepers came out Friday evening also. Peepers are small frogs that "peep" early in the spring. The smelt usually start running when the peepers are peeping.

Corley5

The honeybees were out Thursday afternoon over here.  They were having a wonderful time and there were so many in the maple sawdust at the firewood processor that I found something else to do instead of cleaning up the sawdust.  It was safer for all parties  ;) ;D.  We lost a bunch of snow yesterday too.  Still quite a bit in the woods but the fields are pretty much bare now 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Robins and black birds arrived wednesday. NO sign of grackles or killdeer yet.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

solodan

Still snowing here.
It is sunny right now, but we had a few inches this morning.
Forcast shows more snow everyday for the next few weeks.
We have lost alot at the lower elevations in the last week due to rain, but I would much rather have 2 feet of snow than 2 inches of rain at 33 degrees.

Thank You Sponsors!