iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice fishing

Started by gary, December 19, 2010, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

If I can get to the pig roast this summer, I'll be coming a day or two early to test out these Michigan fish.  I'll need a litlle help with a guide, but I'm sure that info is not too hard to come by. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

I'll be sending you to my Sisters where they can take you out on the Pontoon boat. I caught 60 keeper size bass there one time in one day.  I'll not have time to guide that close to the pigroast, but we'll find someone that can. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Thanks Jeff.  If I can come out early, maybe I could fish a bit and help with the piggy prep.  I'll bet you could find something for me to do.  No, I was not planning on bringing my surgical kit.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

Doc,

My experience coming to the Pig Roast was that the ice was a little thin that time of year  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

Good point, and, unlike some of my colleagues, I know I can't walk on water!

But a canoe or car topper and a finger pointing in the right direction might be nice.  A guide....even better.  I can tell you one thing I've learned in my fishing travels:  fishing new water is fun and challenging, but professional help is enlightening.  Each area of the country does things a little differently when it comes to fishing.  So I have adopted the "When in Rome...." mantra.  I can't tell you how many techniques I have come home with and applied to our lakes.  Part of the fun.  

Jeff

My favorite method here to catch decent bass, and it's because I catch em and eat em, is with real night crawlers.  Hooked through the head, and twitch/lay on the bottom with just a split shot up the line about a foot to aid in casting.  You tend to hook em deep that way, so its not a good catch and release method, but it will out fish any rubber crawler or artificial most anytime. Its just that crawlers are getting so expensive.  I may just have to pick up a bunch this spring and get me a cooler to keep em in so we have some about that time.

jim king

In Decenber of 2009 I welded up a chisel and made some ice fishing poles and took off for the high Andes.  When I got there I told them what we were going to do.  Go out and make a hole and fish.  They thought I was crazy and I told them "no" I was from Wisconsin.

We caught some nice trout to their amazement.  Camera lost in the snow with all the memories.  A really fun trip.

doctorb

It's artificials for me.  Catch and release, unless you won't have any pork left over after the roast.  Then I'll be honored to put dinner on your table, if I am so lucky.  Are these largemouth or smallies?  From the nightcrawler rig, I am assuming that you're fishin' for bucketmouths.  Do you catch bass through the ice or is it mostly panfish and pike?

Jeff

Bass season closes on January 1, so if you get good ice before that, they are fair game. On my sisters lake its large mouth, mostof the lakes right close here are large mouth other than Houghton Lake, 30 minutes north of us where you will find either or. Houghton is the largest inland lake in michigan. It was made mildly famous as one of the ice fishing lakes mentioned on Tim Allen's Home improvement show along with Saginaw Bay, not too far to our east. About an Hour drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXJoyUVfRL8

Thank You Sponsors!