iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scenic Landscapes

Started by Furby, January 16, 2004, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

California Coast line Sonoma County.
I like how you can not tell the difference between the waves and the coastal mountains 8) Great place to visit (Redwoods are near by too ;D)

Front yard in fall Great place to live :D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Furby

Well the nice thing about digital cameras is that filters are not 100% needed. Digital editing allows you to change the pic pretty easy and adjust the color as you choose.
Having said that, I'm one that would rather take the pic as I want the final image to appear, the less messing with the pic later the better!
For my 35mm I carry a basic "kit" that has served me well.
Something like a UV filter/protector is something everyone should use if possible. There is really very little loss in the image when using one, and if it gets a scratch, it's a ton cheaper to replace compared to the actual lens piece.
I also carry a Circular Polarizing & 812 or 81A Color Warming filters.
The circular polarizing filter can be rotated to adjust the affect, but is affected by your angle to the sun.
The warming filter is one I like to use to bring out a bit of color once in a while. I have a pair of sunglasses that are a close match to the warming filter and can get an idea what a pic will look like without even using the camera.

Link
That link is to a sample kit, shop around! ;)

I tend to play around a lot, most times shooting the same scene with each filter and then change the composition and go through each filter again.
With 35mm, that gets exspensive! Digital makes that easy as you can simply erase what you don't like after trying something.
Play around some, both with your filters and editing software to see what it can do. You may or may not want to actually use filters.

SwampDonkey

I have UV and polarizer on my digital. They were an add-on from Tiffen, and came with a special mounting bracket. I had no idea at the time of purchase what they are for, but I left'm attached. I'm no expert camera person by a long shot. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Just remember, there is almost always a bit of light loss when using a filter.
The UV have probly the least amount of loss as it is just a clear lens.
Basicly, using a filter when it's not needed, in this case using a polarizer say.... indoors, should make your pic darker and harder to see.

Sam

Thanks for the info! I do have a UV filter and put it on this weekend. I'll check the kits out.

Sam

Furby

As I travel around, I try to keep the digi camera in my bag.
Some times I get a fair shot or two, but most times I get a pile of junk.
So far I have missed four awesome shots in the last week or so.
Here is one of the better ones that I did get though.
It don't really fit this thread, but don't know what thread it fits, so it's going here!

Anyone wanna guess where it was taken?

pigman

From the cab of your truck ;D
Bob.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Bob...... The smart ash! :D

isawlogs

Where it was taken ,...   I dont know but from all those lights flashing at you , you should not have stopped there to take it .  ;D

Nice pic , where ever it is , theres one tall building there . those where fun to put together before they started to make them outa ciment .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Max sawdust

Quote from: Furby on October 03, 2006, 08:38:59 PM

Anyone wanna guess where it was taken?

First off Furby, that is a great photo.  And through the rearview mirror to boot :D
The angles and skyline are not right for one of my favorite rear view mirror scenes, Which is entering the tunnel after you crossed the bridge leaving Pittsburgh.

Hmmm been most everywhere twice but can not quite nail this one down.  you are crossing water I think, and you are from Michigan, so going to say looking looking back at Detroit on the way to Windsor?  If I am wrong tell me if it is a sun set or sun rise, by traffic I am guessing sunset.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Furby

The hint....
I leave very early each morning! ;)

Marcel, you crack me up! :D :D :D
What makes me mad was just up the road a bit, I missed a couple shots that were even better then that one. :-\

pigman

I go it figured out. 8) I reversed the picture so the mirror image was back to normal and I recognized the city as Grand Rapids as you are leaving the city. Of course I have never been to Grand Rapids. ;D
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

::) :D :D :D :D

Next hint........
Tall buildings, one taller then the others. ;)

SwampDonkey

Too much traffic for me Furb, I'm stayin home with my 1 car an hour traffic congestion. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

I mentioned on the sky shots thread that I had taken some pictures of the fall colours around my summer place, I didn't want to fill the thread, but here's one that I think qualifies as scenic landscape anyways.

This is just south of Algonquin Park in central Ontario.

The dark area to the right is a wall of rain I was dodging.  :D 

I spent most of the day zig-zagging around rain storms.  :)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Tom

It must rain up there a lot, Murph.  Look at all the puddles.  ::)

Joshua

Murf

Shhh, don't tell nobodies but dem puddles is full of Trout & Bass, and dem's good eatin!!!!

The puddles dat don't have a road to 'em, dere full of fishies dat's so hungry dey prettinear jump out atcha!!  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Furby

That is an awesome pic Murf!

sawguy21

Wow!! Murf, that is really special 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

We stopped on the way to work this morning, I like this view. I'm in a field of Fraser fir Christmas trees. Cave Hill is in the foreground, Dry Run creek is at the base of the steep side. Cave hill, dry creek bed... ;) If the creek is full you don't want to be in the cave  :D.

Don P

We took some friends up to Grayson Highlands last weekend, the mountain ash were as pretty as I've seen.

We passed by some of the wild ponies that live there

Up near the top of the world for us, Mt Rogers, VA's highest peak is in the background. The boys had to try a little bouldering, hard to believe the youngest is in high school.

SwampDonkey

Must be pretty high up if it's scrubby growth in Va. Our highest peak in the Maritimes is only 2983 feet ASL at the peek of Mnt Carleton, give or take. It's granite and shrubby growth up there.  Mount Kitahdin in Maine is twice that height. The Maritimes aren't really that high in elevation, alot of lowlands in the south and east NB.

Don P

I thought it would look familiar SD, it's our little lost piece of Canada  :D.
I think the elevation is 5729'. Mt Mitchell down in NC has the highest peak in the Appalachians at 6684'.
We hiked in on Wilburn Ridge. He was a famous early hunter and trapper hereabouts. The legend is that he wanted a bear for a pet and so wrestled one from the top of that mountain to the bottom before the bear agreed.

Paul_H

The picture of the Grayson Highlands almost looks like a painting.
Is there a bit history behind the wild Ponies?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Here is the day time photo of where I was bear hunting. One of the evening photos below that is in sky scenes.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!