iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Successful Deer Season!

Started by Kirk_Allen, November 03, 2004, 07:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Took this week off and went bow hunting with a friend who came up from Texas.  Got this 8 Point two days ago. Also got a doe this morning.  

EZ

Good job on the deer hunting, Kirk, you must be doing something right or your luck is alot better than mine.  ;D
EZ

beenthere

Have to add to the thread (success or good luck, whatever). First chance I had to get out, didn't make it to one of my stands until late, with just a couple hours left in the day. Waited for something to show, and it started misting, so I was ready to pack up and head home. Out of the corner of my eye, this one caught my attention. Shot was about 25 yards, and it ran half-way back to my home. Scaled weight was 187#  dressed, 2 ½ yr old. The rack was broken at the tip fork, so only a 7pt instead of the original 8.  

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kirk_Allen

Scent Lock, Scent Lock, Scent Lock.  Ever sence I purchased the scent lock clothing the hunting success has been overwhelming.

More than just the success is being able to be upwind from LOTS of deer and be able to watch and learn without ever being detected.

Watched a small 8 point yesterday for over an hour 20 yards behind me.  He smelled the doe urine I put out but couldnt find her. He stayed downwind walking back and forth following the scent but just couldnt locate her.  What amazed me the most was that at one point he stood perfectly still for 10 minutes.  I just happen to look at my watch when he stopped 5 yards behind me and he did not move for 10 minutes.  Thats a long time.  Puts a whole new perspective on still hunting.

Jeff

Alls I can say is SAVE A PACKAGE FOR DA PIG ROAST. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

Jeff,
I will bring as much deer meat as you like.  Let me know how much you want and I will take care of it.

RMay

I got this little 7-pt. the second day of muzzle loading season this year.                                                                              

RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

WV_hillbilly

Congratulations  Kirk and RMay   .  

Those are 2 nice looking bucks .  That is a real nice hat you got on there too Kirk . Did you get that one in MI ?
Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

Hillbilly you win a bag of meat for noticing that Pig Roast Special Hat 8)

Jeff, you get one to ;)

WV_hillbilly

I won I won .   ;D

That hat looks familiar as I got one just like it . Did you wear it while hunting or  just for picture taking ? Cause If you wore it while tagging that deer I'm going to wear mine and maybe have good fortunes too.
Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

I wore it walking to the stand but once in the tree I put it in my pocket and put on a scent lock hood.  

Kirk_Allen

Wow, What a weekend.  My brother and a friend came down to deer hunt.  My brother got a small spike and his friend did a stalk on a doe and shot her at 15 yards.  He was pumped.  The wind was perfect and he got real lucky.  She weighed in at 145 lbs.  

My friend from Texas had one last chance this morning before he had to head back home.  SCORED!  He is pumped.  200 lb basket 10 point.  

After the morning hunt we also were able to bust two coyotes.  One with a 220 swift at 340 yards and the other with 270 at 100 yards.  Smoked them both!

Jeff

So, Kirk, whats the chances of booking a hunt next year? ;D I'm hoping to be able to draw my bow again someday. :)

Kirk_Allen

Your welcome anytime Jeff.  We wont gaurantee a deer but to date, NO ONE has ever left without a deer 8)

We have been hunting the same farmland for about 15 years and we have multiple deer stands set up at all the key points.  

If your looking for meat, shouldnt take more than one or two sits to be eating some venison.  

Looking for the big buck?  Well, David, the friend from Texas sat in the key stand for 7 days and .......................missed the monster.  Shot over his back.  Two days later, last day to hunt he settle for the one in the photo.  

bitternut

Finally got some revenge with one of the bucks rubbing my trees. This guy even had some fresh bark on his horns. He will be in the canning jars in a couple more days.

Buzz-sawyer

bitternut
Good shootin, how do you put up deer ........explain a bit....cold pack??
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

bitternut

Buzz......my wife does it with her pressure cooker I think. She isn't home right now or I would ask her. My job is to get it, skin it, cut it up and bone it. She does the canning. Problem now is I left my meat saw at camp and now I will have to get one for home. Thats the problem you run into when your camp is 100 miles from home. Everytime you need something it seems to be at the place you ain't. Seems to happen more and more as the years go on. Senior moments I guess they call it.

Murf

Bitternut, up here we refer to that as suffering from CRS Syndrome.

"Can't Remember Sh__ t Syndrome"  :D

Nice buck too...
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Timber_Framer

Nice deer guys!
As soon as my little brother sends me the pics I'll post the Nine pointer I got on Sunday he dreesed out at 218lbs with a 16" inside and 24" outside spread. Best hunt I've had in over thirty years!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

VK540_1

We also had a great hunt up here this year. This is first time my son deer hunted, he got this nice 10pt on the 3rd day.

Timber_Framer

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Furby

DId anyone hear about the guy in MN, I think it was, he got a 27 pointer? Just caught a couple of seconds of it on the news.

Kirk_Allen

Didnt hear about that one but did see photos of a 16 point typical that was a bow kill one county north of us.  Green score makes it the new world record by several inches.  They said it had a 32" outside spread.  Looking at the photo its pretty awsome.  Dressed out at 290lbs.

If its true it will be on all the hunting shows shortly.

Busted this critter with my 220 swift at 400 yards according to the range finder  8)8)
That makes the 8th one this year!  With any luck we may put a small dent on them and start seeing some birds come back.

Dana

I got a nice 8 point the second day of rifle season. Hoped to post a picture but I cant figure out how to compress the picture to 15 K.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Bro. Noble

Met my Dad on the road this morning before daylight as I was going to the milkbarn.  Said he believed he'd see if he could get a deer.  Met him as I was going from the milkbarn to the sawmill.  He got his deer.  Dad just turned 81 and had bypass surgery a year ago.  He missed deer season last year ,  but got an antelope in Colorado both last year and this year. 8)

I shot at a coyote,  but missed ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Corley5

A buddy of mine has missed two bucks and he freely admits it because he shot and killed a coyote that was on a dead run.  He says that makes up for the two missed bucks.  His wife killed a really nice eight point.  He's not gonna hear the end of that for a while ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

Nice way to start off a Monday. :)

I've been using my front end loader to peel the hides, makes it go really fast. I was still at work by 8:30

Timber_Framer

Nice buck!
I wonder if I can talk my wife into gettin me one of those front end loaders for hide peelin also ;D

Jeff

I skin from the other end. I find its easiest, the blood never pools and there is never any hair. Hang from the neck with the front legs free. I make cuts around the hide at each knee, cutting the tendons. 4 quick twists removes the front and back legs. Cut the hide all the way around the base of the head. Then brush off all the loose hair before continuing. Cutting from underneath, continue your field dressing incision on up until it meets the cut around the neck. You can now start working the hide down, when you reach the front legs, pull it off like you would a sock, Dont cut up the side of the leg! You can continue down without ever making another cut in the hide. The hide will pull off the back legs, and even the tail will skin out.

Working this way you can remove a quarter at a time to butcher. Back quarters, then front shoulders, then loins and ribs and neck. Tammy and I used to butcher deer for years and had a select clientel. People came to us and paid more because we never laid a saw on a deer and boned and trimmed every ounce. You can certainly tell the difference in the taste of the meat doing it that way. Tammy got real sick one year and blamed it on all the deer work so we quit it.

Norm

If I'm close to the house I don't field dress before skinning, that way you don't have all the hair from that incision.

TF have your wife help with skinning a couple of deer out by hand and then causually mention how you could do it by yourself if you had a tractor with a front end loader. ;D

Ron Scott

Norm, very nice Iowa deer.  

Jeff, A good efficient skinning method. Another skill I didn't know you and Tammy had. I could have used your help the last few days.

Do you do the bear the same way?  

~Ron

WV_hillbilly

Nice buck Norm .

I' ve  been chasin one about that size for a few days now . He is a sneaky one . He likes to sneak out 10 minutes before or after shootin time .  
Hillbilly

RMay

I skin the same as Jeff but when I get the neck down i use a rock under the hide and a lope of rope over it hook the rope off and back the tractor up the hide will just roll off  ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Timber_Framer

I also skin from the neck down and have used the rock (or baseball) under the hide trick a few times.
Last year on opneing day it was -10°F below zero and the deer froze solid. ::) I had four frozen deer to skin.
I only got two of the hides off in one piece :-/ That was the hardest I've ever worked to skin anything!
Brigette was hardly happy either because I had to put the quarters in the bathtub to thaw enought to debone them!
What a mess!!!!

Bibbyman

No wall hangers here.   I got a fawn and doe the first weekend and son Chris got another doe this past weekend.  We'll probably start seeing the bucks again now that the regular gun season has ended.

I didn't hunt much.  Last Saturday morning I went out at sunrise and left Mary setting in her easy chair sippin' coffee and still in her house coat.   I told her to just set and read and watch her cookin' shows and enjoy the morning.  I got out to my hunting spot - about 100 yards from the house - got setted in when I heard the Terex start up and then the mill.  I staid out about another hour and then went in to help her.  I proped the old Marlin 45/70 in the corner of the sawshed and kept a lookout in case something came by.  Nothing did but it was just as likely a place as any.  Besides,  we got 1,500 bf off 6/4 walnut cut out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

We had our second gun season this weekend.  It was slow but we did manage to put a total of 4 more deer in the freezers.

I took this doe yesterday. She weighed in at 180lbs.  She also was toothless.  DNR projected she was upwards of 6-7 years old.

My taxidermists grandson hunted with me and also took a nice doe.  My brother and his freind took a doe and a small 6 point.

Lots of meat for the pig roast 8)

craigc90

Today was last day of Ohio gun season there were 5 bucks and 3 does in the field infront of my house all day. There is no hunting pressure. They dont know its gun season. I heard a shot and looked and my neighbor dropped this 10 point I helped him field dress it and tag it in.

Blake22

I killed a 7-pt the 1st day, a nice 10-pt the 2nd weekend, a big fat corn eatin' doe the 3rd weekend & a 8-pt this past Friday.

One of my buddies shot a big 10-pt on a county rd Friday. Dirt road less than a mile from his house. Bout 4 hours later 3 game wardens pull in his place. Somebody turned him in. This is a remote area for sure.But they threw the book at him. He was arrested & charged with 3 felonys. $11,000 bond. They took the deer & his rifle. I'm glad I didn't see that deer because I'd be in the same trouble.
Blake

sawguy21

Second week of deer camp and all the guys are here.
We shoot da guns, we shoot da bull but we don't shoot no deer.
The only time we leave camp is to get more beer.
Second week of deer camp, my favourite time of year. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

Well this is where you are all at with the hunting ::) ::)
 I just couldent figure out why nobody was posting any pictures  ???
 I hunt with my family.We had a great time , all of us got a deer , had 3 doe tags between us ,The smallest buck was a spike and the larger was a 10 point the rest where 2 of each 4point 6point and 8 point.
 Even if we wouldent had gotten any deer its always a great time when I'm with those nephews of mine . they like hunting as much as I do and are quick to learn.
 I use a 270 pump remington. My son also has the same gun , they both have a 3x9 scope with seetrought mounts, I bought a pump after my shoulder injury back in 91 used to shoot from the left shoulder with a bolt action 270 , But the shoulder would not take the recoil real good ,well actualy not good at all it hurt like h----, So I did the next best thing .... learned to shoot from the right but having a lefty bolt didn't help much.....so's thats how I got me the remington and learn to close my left eye  But thats another story ;) ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

EZ

You guys are really something. Been deer hunting almost all my life and have never gotten deer like the one shown here. What am I doing wrong. ;D Norms deer hanging up looks like a couple sides of beef. :D Good job men.
EZ

Mike_Barcaskey

it may not have horns, but it's my daughter's --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v605/mikebarcaskey1/PB300006.jpg[/IMG]
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

beenthere

Great experience. Remember well when my two son's each shot their first deer at 12.
Now, right after that picture was taken, is when the 'fun' begins and the lessons more intense. "roll up your sleeves, son"  "next time, better shot placement will make this experience a whole lot more pleasant"
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timber_Framer

Mike: Give her an atta Girl from the guys at FF. 8)

beenthere: I seem to recall my dad saying those same words a little over thirty years ago ;D

Mike_Barcaskey

Timber Framer, how about a "double" Atta-Girl

beenthere

She gets a double A +++ in my book. Just the fact that this lovely girl completed (sure appears that way) the 'hunt' is impressive. That's not the most fun part of it either.
For sure a double atta-girl.  

south central Wisconsin

Norm

Way to go on your first deer! Good to see dad taught you that part of hunting is processing the kill. 8)

Congrats to you too Mike, never had the pleasure of a daughter (two sons) but you can bet if I did she'd be out there with the reast of us on opening day. :)

Wannafish

My youngest at 21 got his first deer this year - a 4 point.  He has passed up several bucks because he couldn't get a good shot at them...including an 8 pt that mounted a doe 50 yds in front of him but was behind a big maple.  Said he just couldn't shoot it while he saw enjoying himself (the buck that is), and when he was done he just kinda disappeared into the swamp.

Anyway, he's  happy hunter now. ;D
May God bless all of you -
Rick

Timber_Framer

BIG DOUBLE Att-Girl!
It's good to see a young hunter taught properly.
It sounds as though Wannafish has a well taught young hunter on his hands also.

Mike_Barcaskey

beenthere, not only did she gut her deer completely, she did mine the day before  ;D
it's going to be hard giving her away when she walks down the aisle  :'(

VK540_1

Got this swampdonkey on the last weekend of the season. :-*

Weekend_Sawyer

I just started using the golf ball under the neck skin this year. Works REAL good. Chris got an 8 point that was so stringy it broke the rope!

I came home with 2 tender spike bucks this year.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kirk_Allen

OK Jeff, we can officially add Venison to the Pig Roast menu.

Got a 165lb doe this morning.   An elderly lady west of us hit it last night coming home.  Broke its neck.  Not a thing wrong with the rest of it.

Its hanging now and cooling in the breeze.

If this keeps up I may have to get a bigger freezer.  Mine is officially full.  

WV_hillbilly

Kirk  if that one hangs too long in this weather you just may end up with a deercicle .   ;D
Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

Got lucky on this one.  It in the 40's today and looks like our lows are in the high 20's for the rest of the week and highs in the low 40's.  Perfect weather for aging this critter!

Buzz-sawyer

Kirk
that makes 2 mega does you got this year , eh? :)
What other species did ya take while in Alaska? ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

Yes that makes two really big does.  Anyone nearby that wants some venison feel free to give me a call and come pick some up.  I cant eat all this in a year so I have some for the pig roast and lots to give away.

While in Alaska I was blessed to take the following:
1 37" Dall Sheep Ram - Self Guided 18 day hunt of a lifetime ;D

3 Caribou - one was a trophy that is shoulder mounted and hangs in my office.

1 moose - One is enough.  To much to pack out ;D
Dozens of Black Tail Sitka Deer
1 Black Bear
Freezer full of Ptarmigan

Things I still want to get:
Brown Bear
Mountain Goat
Wolf

Had to pass on a big 9 foot plus Grizzly in 1992.  As I was puting the cross hairs on the beast three cubs came out of the brush near her.  Had to sit and pray that they did not wind me, as I was only 40 yards from her.  Cant shoot a bear with cubs.  Even though these cubs would have gone 6 foot, they were still with the mother.  I did get to watch this bear drag a full size cow moose uphill by grabbing its neck in her jaws.  She drug it at least 300 yards into a thicket at the base of a mountain ridge. Powerfull animal to say the least.

I have seen dozens of Mountain Goats but never let an arrow fly.  

Watching a wolf in the wild is a site to see.  Just know that they hunt you the same time you hunt them.  They are not stupid animals.  I have had wolf tracks in my foot prints within 30 minutes of crossing a muddy mining trail.  Makes your hair stand up knowing they are around but not seeing them.  

Buzz-sawyer

Kirk
I had a similair situation with a big ol tom cat (MNT LION)
I was hicking up on icicle creek in wanachee nat forest , had just warned the little one not to lag, or she might get nabbed as a straggler, welll, on our decent I saw a huge cat track directly on top of mine.....they , like most predators usually see us before we see them  :o :)

I have a quest to kill a elk, bear and a mnt lion.
Means more to me than meat or a thrill, to hunt.....its spiritual.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Those friction primers are just what I was looking for. ;D ;)

Thank You Sponsors!