iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wedding cookies - secondary ops?

Started by Downstream, October 07, 2018, 12:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Did not want to hijack the what are you saying thread with this question from recent post by Resonator.  He talked about putting some cookies through the planer before giving to customer for wedding cookies to give nice smooth finish.  My assumption was always that most people sell wedding cookies as rough sawn without sanding, planing, or other secondary ops.  I did a quick search of cookie threads and don't really see any specific comments.  Do most use/sell as rough sawn?
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

kelLOGg

You surely can't plane end grain and sanding it green is a slow-go proposition. Leave it rough. A well set band can saw it pretty Dang smooth.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

I would be terrified to put cookies in my planer but it is just a lunch-box unit.

I loan my stash of Walnut cookies for parties, etc.  Some are still rough sawn and some are sanded and oiled.  They were sawn from a very dead/dry limb so there is no white sapwood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Maybe I was just lucky my cookies didn't explode, the planer did growl at me when I ran them through!  I was however only taking LIGHT passes, (1/64" - 1/32") at a time. Most of what I've seen on here they are just rough sawn. I was just trying to get rid of purple sawdust spots by planing. (I didn't think the cookies looked good enough to serve to my customer.) 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Downstream

Thanks for the comments.  I have ros sanded some I use for coasters but only after they have dried.  I agree with resonator that exceeding customer expectations is the way to go.  I would probably sand a few select cookies that are being used for main cake or show piece, but not on bulk place-setting pieces.  When customer asks for quote I tell them price is for rough sawn pcs only and tell them they will probably crack long term so I usually saw them week of the wedding if possible.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

WDH

With my spiral head planer with 96 carbide inserts, I can plane green cookies no problem.  If they are not green , there is too much damage on the back edge of the cookie.  Tears it out.  With a knife planer, it would not be feasible. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

opticsguy

Sanding end grain - belt sander is the only way.  ROS would take way too long, at least in my experience.
Another option if you really want flat and parallel surfaces is with a drum sander.

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Magicman

Just know that if you add a finish most likely the cookie will turn much darker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

If I wanted to sand smooth a large batch of cookies to rent out for weddings, I would look at using an abrasive planer. A couple places I worked at years ago used a large industrial machine that could sand up to 36" wide, maybe find a cabinet shop that would let you use there's for an hour. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

tule peak timber

We use a wide belt sander on 80 grit initially to smooth , then a big random orbit to fine sand. Cookie table sets, cookie tables, cookie doors, cookie walls, cookie counters, cookie furniture , cheese boards, book covers, and on and on..... It takes two men a long time to fine sand cookies and this time is by far the most expensive part of the process with vast amounts of epoxy the next biggest expense. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!