iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying logs

Started by Jeremy2200, October 13, 2012, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

Got a quick question. I've always cut and sawn my on logs or went to someone else's site and sawn their logs. I was driving around town the other day and a tree company was removing some big straight oak trees. I pulled in and asked who was in charge. I was directed to an old black man and I asked him what he was going to do with the trees. His response was sell them to me if I wanted them. He told me to make him an offer and then mumbled some price per 1000 but I couldn't understand what he was saying. My question is what is a decent price for buying timber. Say a 20' long 24" diameter oak log. And same size pine. Just kinda need a ballpark price so I'll know what to offer if I wanna buy some logs one day. Also what was he talking about per 1000 per 1000 what. Do they sell it by weight or bdft or what.

customsawyer

Sounds like he was talking per BF. To offer advice as to what price will depend on what scale you use and if the logs are delivered or you pick them up.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

beenthere

Offer him what YOU want to pay for them, and what they are worth to you. If you are happy with that price, and he is, all is good. Both happy.
If he won't sell for that price you offer, then he keeps them or you make a counter offer (or get a price from him)

No one else knows "what they are worth" or a decent price.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

for me personally (as a hobbyist) i'm not gonna pay more than around 25 cents a bf when i pick them up.  therefore a 24" by 20' log scales around 500bf so i'd be paying around 125.  if he says no? i don't really care, there's plenty of logs in the world.   like beenthere said you gotta come up with what it's worth to you, then shoot him an offer based on that.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

bama20a

He's in the tree removal business,So he's been paid already for a job,Now he has got to remove the trees he's cut.
So to be able to sell the logs & get them out of his way is just an extra bonus,I'd go with a low ball price to start with,You can alway go up if you really want the logs.Mark,,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Sawdust Lover

I buy from 3 different tree companys. I pay around $25.00 to $50.00 per log. 24" x 14' average. Some of the larger logs are free if I can get them picked up asap because they are to big for them to handle. If they have black stains on the ends they are usually free because they have nails in them. Offer as little as you can, if they say no make sure you leave them a buisness card. Most likely they will call you back. Some of the tree experts have to pay to get rid of the trees they cut but some of them cut it for firewood.

moandrich

Are you sure he wasnt brown?  We were never allowed to describe people in that manner when we were growing up.  Did it really matter?
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

beenthere

We had to use the term "Negro" when I grew up. It keeps changing.
Prolly will change again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moandrich

I don't know why you would even mention someones color or race, and why it would be pertinent to the price of the logs,
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

beenthere

Maybe only because it happened. Why make a point of the fact that he mentioned it? I had the thought that "hey, there was a colored person in charge" and that is a step up from years ago. Different points can be made.
south central Wisconsin

moandrich

As long you also say "that white guy over there".
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

captain_crunch

ifn I get 1000 per thousand  out of your post RUN you would not recover anything that be about what kilned dried lumber is worth
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Woodey

Trees around houses are subject to having nails and foreign objects in them. I will pick them up sometimes for free.

Some of the tree service people just pay the local dump by the cubic yard to dispose of them, that cost is already figured in the price they charge for removal.

I hate seeing nice trees go to the land fills.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Magicman

Quote from: Jeremy2200 on October 13, 2012, 08:23:03 PM
I pulled in and asked who was in charge. I was directed to an old black man and I asked him what he was going to do with the trees. 

Simply read what was said.  The fact that the OP was directed to "an old black man" was very pertinent.  The OP did not say it.  The person doing the directing gave specific directions as to who was in charge.  There is no problem with this conversation unless we try to make it something that it wasn't.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimGA

TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

slider

al glenn

moandrich

Your right, I apologize.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Magicman

So did you make an offer?  I have never paid more than $100 per Mbf for downed or salvaged trees/logs.  Mostly in the $50-$75 range. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

Probably wont be much help, but down here logs like this fall into "salvage" classification for logs, that being said salvage runs about $40-$50 per cubic metre and you remove it from site - am I right in my remembering that 474 bft to a cubic metre?
Always willing to help - Allan

DouginUtah

Quote from: sigidi on October 14, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
... am I right in my remembering that 474 bft to a cubic metre?

IIRC, it is 423 bft to the cubic metre.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

logboy

A word of advice when buying yard trees. Over 90% of the yard trees I cut have metal or foreign objects in them. In fact, cutting a yard tree without metal in it is a rarity for me. I never pay top dollar for them, even if the metal detector says its clean. It wont catch ceramic insulators or rocks.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

sigidi

Just found out..... 1 cubic metre = 423.776001 board feet

so 424 would be pretty DanG close methinks so down here that would mean salvage logs are about 9c-11c per bft...
Always willing to help - Allan

drobertson

sounds like some good size logs, If you want to be generous offer a fair price per scaled bd/ft. .20 would be a good price.  Look for stain in the oak, the pine often heals without sign of metal. Very tricky to tell.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Wenrich

Galvanized metal will not turn blue in oak. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

From what I understand from some of the posters on here,I would not pay much. Most have to haul it away, which cost time,money,than pay a disposal fee at the land fill,more money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!