iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-mizer sawmill workshop

Started by JV, February 25, 2012, 07:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I attended a sawmill workshop at Wood-mizer Indianapolis.  Dr. Dan Cassens from Purdue spoke about grading, pricing, and determining log volumes.  Jeff Settle from IDNR spoke about current market conditions and certifying lumber sellers.  Between seminars we broke off into groups and reviewed mill alignment and maintenance.  Time very well spent.  The last thing was watching attachment demos.  I had to use my best salesmanship to convince my wife the need for a couple of attachments.  Might have convinced her on one, that's a start.  The highlight of my evening was to watch the new 1000 saw a huge log.  If I had a spare $55K+, I could have owned one.  Maybe in my next lifetime.  I had a chance to talk to Dr. Cassens about having another tree and log grading class at one of Purdue's northern Indiana locations.  He took my name and hopefully he will hold another one.  I attended one several years ago and it was well worth the time.  I told him about the Forum hopefully he will join us as he is a wealth of information.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dave VH

If he has a class in northern Indiana, please notify me, either through the forum, or im, whatever, maybe just post it on the forum.  I almost went to the open house today in indy, but my youngest wasn't feeling well.  I wish that I had known about seminars yesterday.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

JV

Dave, I will certainly contact you and post the information if he decides to have a class.  The last one I attended was at their ag center near South Whitley.  Day one was classroom and then go to the woods and look at some trees they selected and grade them standing.  The trees were felled and you had to grade the log and decide how to buck it to length.  Next day was sawing the logs with a Wood-mizer and figuring the yield.  We had to figure the yield on the logs the first day and compare the next.  I lost my shirt on a hollow oak log by overfiguring the yield.  I told Dr. Cassens that there should be quite a bit of interest in the area for another class.  He has a Wood-mizer and sells lumber on the side along with Christmas trees.  He is really sharp on the subject and has a good sense of humor.  He has a book out now available through Purdue called "Manufacturing and Marketing Eastern Hardwood Lumber Produced by Thin Kerf Band Mills."  I just ordered a copy.  Hopefully he will come on board.  If I hear anything I will let you know.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

chipperwam

I was also at the class on Fri.  I can't wait untill I get Dan's book.  It looks like it has alot of info and will be put together realy well.

It was nice to meet some wood-mizer folks and get to see the demonstrations.  I am glad they decided to fire up the 1000.  Not sure what I would do with it but it would be fun to have. :) :D

MHineman

I attended the Wood-Mizer class too.
  I also attended one of the lumber grading classes east of Muncie in 2006.  It was very helpful and I recommend everyone attend one if they get the chance.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Busy Beaver Lumber

JV

Count me in too and please let me know if he hold another class in Northern Indiana. I wanted to go to Indy as well this past weekend, but daughter gave birth on Friday and had to rate my priorities and be there for her.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Mooney

I know there's going to be a grading class up at Purdue early summer. I'll try to dig up the details tomorrow.

Dan's new book (around 380 pages) can be purchased in PDF format here for $25: https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?item_number=FNR-435-W. However, the physical copy of the book is currently being printed, and will soon be available for $35.

I have to tell you guys, I take my hat off to Chipperwam. He and his girlfriend left Iowa at 4 in the morning and drove all day to attend the seminars!   :o  It was a pleasure to meet many of you while handing out name tags that evening!  ;D Our other locations should all be holding seminars this year, so stay tuned for when they'll be holding theirs.  :P

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, chipperwam .   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Would any of you folks happen to know the ISBN # for the book?
Thanks in advance.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

JV

The book will probably only be available through Purdue, so I'm not sure about an ISBN number.  Purdue's publication store is available here:

https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/category.asp?CatID=14

Many of the publications are available free for the downloads.  Lots of good information.
John

Dave VH

thanks JV, that class sounds like exactly what I need.  I will drop about anything to make it. 
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Mooney

Here's the program info for two grading programs that Purdue/NHLA is putting on. Attached is a press release for a Walnut Lumber Grading short course. Also attached is a press release for a full summer course from June 11-August 17. These programs are put together by NHLA in collaboration with the Indiana Hardwood Lumbermen's Association and Purdue University.

Dan's book will soon be available through the Wood-Mizer store as well.

JV

I just spoke with the store at Purdue and the book should be available at the end of this week.  You can purchase a download for $25.00 now and download it to your computer or purchase the book for $35.00 plus shipping.  I got the download and burned it to a CD, lots of info on grading logs, trees, lumber; sawing grade, stresses, drying, etc.  Years of research and experience in 375 pages.
John

bikedude73

I was in the class also it was great and feel like you all have said.  Lots of good info and wanting Dan's book too.  Thanks for all the great stuff on here love it!!!!! 8)

Mooney

Dan Cassen's book on sawing, drying, and marketing lumber just arrived hot off the presses! They had some printer issues, and ended up having to get the order reprinted, which pushed back the finished product!  >:(

His book can be purchased through Purdue here:
https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?itemID=20490

Or through Wood-Mizer. The part number is P863.
https://www.woodmizer.com/webgateway/OMshopDetail.aspx?category=wedu&title=Educational

The book is 368 pages and here are the chapters/topics covered:
1. Why Thin-Kerf Band Mills?
2. Lumber Conditions and Statistics
3. Wood quality and characteristics
4. Hardwood lumber pricing and grading
5. Softwood lumber grading
6. Log and tree scaling techniques
7. Forest service hardwood log grades, tree grades, and yields
8. Hardwood logs and trees for fine face veneer
9. Bucking, sawing, edging, and trimming techniques
10. Wood residues and potential markets
11. Wood moisture and drying
12. Insect damage to trees, lumber, and finished products
13. Stain in logs, lumber, and finished products
14. The structure of the hardwood lumber industry
15. Trends in marketing wood products
16. Sales Techniques

Those of you that get the Wood-Mizer Way magazine, be looking for an excerpt from his book in the mag!

sawmillhand

where do you find the information on these classes and seminars i live down south in louisiana and would like to plan a trip up to indy soon.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Mooney

We probably won't be having another seminar in Indy again this year, but our other locations are currently scheduling their Workshop events. I would check in with our Mississippi and Texas locations and find out when they're planning their workshop events. That'll be a lot closer! If you do make it up to Indy though, give me a PM beforehand, and I'll arrange you a tour!  :)

When the workshops are scheduled, they will show up on our Upcoming Events page.
http://www.woodmizer.com/us/ResourceCenter/UpcomingEvents.aspx

sawmillhand

Thanks mooney i sure will.   I think it would be pretty awesome to see where the orange beast comes alive at.  I will diffidently let you know.  8)  8)
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Nomad

Mooney, I've been to your headquarters in Indy before but never had a tour.  I figure to be back up that way in May or June; I'd sure like to get a tour!  As to attending a workshop; I'd love to!  I'll have to keep watching for one coming up within 800 miles or so.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!