iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some insight...

Started by CCC4, December 14, 2016, 06:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

So...the USFS is doing a pretty major project and I can't figure out what the goal is. From just what I can see, about 100 acres has had all the ERC and the Juniper cedar cut and slashed. Some is fairly large diameter and marketable. All is being slashed and just left. The percentage of the two cedars in this area probably totaled to somewhere around 65%...so this is a pretty major job.

Question is...what's going on?? My boss thinks its for the bats....I have heard it's mach fire. If you think about it...neither make sense.

#1 If it's for the bats...why remover their natural habitat? There is a specie of bat that I call the red bat, it is the largest of about all bats in the US. They primarily live in ERC...also the Grey bat lives in ERC. So what benefit would bats have by getting their habitat cut?

#2 If for fire...wouldn't the slash left in such large amounts be more fuel for fire? Everybody knows the hottest quickest fires come from dead ERC

I just can't figure out what is going on. Feel free to leave me some ideas on this. Thanks!

thecfarm

Is it a experment to see how the other trees will grow better?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

Idk, USFS generally wants the ERC removed from around their blessed pine stands. This ground is pretty rough, no real good stand of pine and the oaks look pretty scrubby. It's possible though thecfarm! Good idea!

LeeB

So they aren't harvesting any of the cedar at all? what a waste.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CCC4

LeeB, Sir they are just leaving all of it. I was driving by today and would say its waaaay over 100 acres of primarily cedar been cut and slashed...you can see sawlog size all over the place up through there! Hey, are you familiar with the Sylamore gun range on highway 5 S going into Mtn View?? Right there surrounding the gun range is where this work is being done. It's worth a look see! Holler if you ever out this way and we can grab a bite to eat in Mtn. View...nice restaurants down that way.

azmtnman

USFS almost completely cut 100's of acres of Utah juniper (some alligator) here. It is in a wildlife preserve area in the Apache-Sitgreaves NF. It was all chipped up and hauled away (I'm sure it was sold.) Don't know where it went--maybe a factory that makes cedar plywood?
   They have always been sensitive about that area. They would completely close it to ANY activity during the slightest risk of fire. When our fires here reach a pinion-juniper forest, that's when they catch up to them and put them out.
   I have seen juniper dramatically thinned to eliminate water usage.  ???
Are they selling harvest permits?
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

LeeB

Quote from: CCC4 on December 15, 2016, 05:52:33 PM
LeeB, Sir they are just leaving all of it. I was driving by today and would say its waaaay over 100 acres of primarily cedar been cut and slashed...you can see sawlog size all over the place up through there! Hey, are you familiar with the Sylamore gun range on highway 5 S going into Mtn View?? Right there surrounding the gun range is where this work is being done. It's worth a look see! Holler if you ever out this way and we can grab a bite to eat in Mtn. View...nice restaurants down that way.

I haven't made it to MV yet. Farthest I've on of 5S is to Norfork. Been living in AR 10 years now and still haven't been anywhere.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

shortlogger

They do WSI work like that all the time here around my area of the Ouachitas, they slash pine and all under a certain diameter and most all the hardwood and cedar regardless of size . To open up the woods for endangered woodpecker they are trying to save . My district won't sell commercial salvage permits on it but they will sell you a private fire wood permit . It's a shame because there is lots of wood just rotting that would be marketable instead they pay someone to cut it down just to leave it lay .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

LeeB

What are the specifics for harvesting as private firewood? Can you take it out in the log or does it have to be firewood length? How much can you take?

CCC4

LeeB, it's a 25$ permit here, in pretty sure it's clean up post logging on most sites. Hey, if you were in Norfolk, you were less than 20 miles from me...I'm cutting in Mtn View right now and I live outside Calico...so we should meet up!! Lol! I'm jus a little crazy not too bad!! Lmbo!!

LeeB

I like crazy. Makes me feel like one of the crowd. Haven't been to Norfork in some time. I live in Yelleville now. I'll try to make it down your way sometime though. Haven't seen that area yet.

ChrisIsThis

This sounds like a habitat restoration project. It could be for an endangered species, or just a threatened habitat. I've seen, and helped with, glade and barrens restoration which sounds similar.
The larger the island of knowledge; the longer the coast of mystery.

Riwaka

Perhaps someone in the local USFS Hq heard about the use of roxarsone in farmed hogs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxarsone
and decided to open up some rooting ground where they could catch some organic  free range wild hogs out of the timberland?

Thank You Sponsors!