iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling large trees with equipment

Started by livemusic, January 01, 2017, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I don't see anyone around here logging wood with chainsaws and skidders anymore. I wonder if there are any old school guys left. Got me to thinking... I see these automated gizmos that grab the whole tree and cut it and then lay it down. How big a tree can they handle? I was looking at a 36" pine in my yard (yes, I measured it, lol) and thinking, wow, it would take a heckuva machine to pick that tree up. How does the modern logger get these big trees?
~~~
Bill

thecfarm

I think the guy that logs for me,his havester can cut a 28 inch? I suppose bigger,by moving around the tree. He does have a chainsaw for the big ones. I had a lot of white pine that went over 36 inches easy. Some even 4 feet. Took a couple tanks of gas to limb them things out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

I think the biggest hotsaw going is a 28 inch single pass.  There are photos out there of 60 inch stumps done with a hotsaw.  Nice work on some of them.  Our bar saw timberpro will do 34 inch one pass cut I think.

chevytaHOE5674

Biggest tree I've personally cut with a 21" bar processor head is a 34" White Ash. Takes a bit of jockeying around to get it on the ground and once down you don't lift the tree you run the head down the trunk and buck it up. I don't try to lift anything until i get up into the smaller top wood.

Maine372

not much wood that size left on industrial ground.

OntarioAl

Around here The operators notch the big trees  with the hot saw on the side they want them to fall.
Maneuver around cut from the back side then push them over.
Some operators do a great job almost like being done with a chainsaw others not so good
Al
Al Raman

quilbilly

Satco and southstar have large bar feller bunchers. They'll do 3ft plus in a singe cut
a man is strongest on his knees

BargeMonkey

My timbco is "designed" to cut 33" but your asking for trouble. I hand cut anything over 24-26" unless it's a real ugly piece of pulp. Lately if I've got one I need to push I will bore cut it with the saw, leave a heavy tab and line the timbco head up and finish the cut. Broke a cylinder last yr trying to cut something way to big and joined the BBFC  ;D in the process.

Spartan

Our timberjack will cut up to 30"
however the operator can go larger if he's skilled enough.  But as barge monkey said, you're asking for trouble.
On fir that size, even in the 30" category, it can lose it if its trying to pick it up.  I stood by and watched my skidder almost get smashed by a large one that went over backwards on it.  We have bent one grapple arm also.  Not worth it.
Hand cutting the large stuff is way more practical and safe.

tmbrcruiser

I buy timber for a local hardwood mill and work with 3 to 5 logging crews at times. Everyone uses a feller buncher with carbide. As a rule I ask if a tree is over 20"-22" DBH it be cut with a saw. Problem is even with several cuts the last wood to be cut is near the heart and this is the worst place to have stump pull. That does not mean you can't cut larger trees cleanly with a feller buncher. One crew has an operator that does a great job on trees up to 26"-28" DBH without stump pulls or lifting the saw head to high on the stump. I think as has been already said, stay away from large trees with a cutter use a chain saw.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

enigmaT120

Chainsaws on steep slopes.  No skidders though!  I've been watching an operation on a canyon side across the Little Luckiamute River from my place.  Man those guys doing the falling and limbing on that slope, and the guy who attaches the cables from the tower on the landing to the logs (choker setters) are supermen.  Even the tree planters who will come later.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

CCC4

An average Hydro Ax with hot Saw has a 29" throat. A good operator can cut massive trees but he has to cut from 2 to 4 sides. Then sometimes you have the boss that leaves you to fall the remainder with a chainsaw. That's always awesome!! But yes, timber up to 4' can be cut with tree cutters.

Mike_M

Now they are even using these machines on steep slopes. Its called tether assist and uses a feller buncher with a grapple saw to fell and bunch trees. They are cutting stuff up to 36" in diameter. Usually there is a machine that stays put up on the road or landing and has one or two drums that hold the tether line. The stationary machine is either a dozer or excavator converted with drums. Its all computerized and remote control. Started in New Zealand and now becoming popular in the Pacific Northwest.

Thank You Sponsors!