iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood choice for turning

Started by Gipper, April 18, 2007, 12:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gipper

Any you turners out there ever used wood from the Paw Paw tree for turning?  My wife's aunt is having a large one taken down and ask if we knew of any use for it.  I've never used any of them for anything, and since I got into this turning thing thought I might get some of it if it's workable.  In March, I saw some segmented type bracelets, containing small pieces of the wood,  at the Appalachian Wood Expo in Johnson City Tennessee, but only got to talk to the gentleman briefly.  Did not get to ask about it's turning qualities.  It was a real nice looking wood!

Also, what about turning quality for Persimmon wood?  I know it's a very hard wood - just recently sawed some small ones, and an older gentleman has three nice ones he wants me to saw.  Thought might get some of the bigger branches and discards if it's good for turning! ;D  It's nearby and I've already looked at it.  Actually, I will be hauling the logs here for him.  (He's nearing 80 years young and I've know him for nearly 50 years.)  The tree is already on the ground, but not limbed or bucked to length yet, but will definitely give at least three ten footers.  Yep, you guessed it - I'll be doing the limbing and cutting to length, but I just couldn't say no to the old guy.  I'd sure hate to see him trying to use a chain saw.  He told me I could have all the rest of it if I wanted it, so naturally I thought about turning possibilities, since I'm now hooked on that form of sawdust. :) :)

Thanks in advance!  Gipper

TexasTimbers

Persimmon is not worth spittin on. If you send it to me I will make sure it gets properly disposed of.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

I have not had good luck trying to dry thicker (3"-4") persimmon boards.  They cracked and checked so bad they ended up in the firewood pile. :(  If turned green and thin, you may have better luck with it.  It "spoils" quickly, though.  So get busy and let's see what you make with it! :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

dundee

Guy's, I think you will find Persimmons and Paw Paw is very different
Paw Paw also known as Papaya (Carrica paypaya), as opposed to Persimmon (D.virginiana).

I have seen Papaya turned in Borneo when I was working there, it looks OK, although quite bland figure-wise

Richard

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: dundee on April 19, 2007, 12:57:54 AM
Guy's, I think you will find Persimmons and Paw Paw is very different
Paw Paw also known as Papaya (Carrica paypaya), as opposed to Persimmon (D.virginiana).

I have seen Papaya turned in Borneo when I was working there, it looks OK, although quite bland figure-wise

Richard

I'm afraid that your definition of "Paw Paw" doesn't work on this side of the pond.  What we call pawpaw is actually Asimina triloba.  It's typically a small tree, so you're lucky to find one big enough to work with.  The wood is on the soft side, but the heart will usually be multi-colored, with shades of brown and green.  I'd hop on that right away if I were you.

Persimmon is also a nice turning wood--although it's hard, it turns very easily.  Though it usually lacks heartwood (it usually takes 100 years to develop a significant amount), the sapwood is very pretty as well.  It'll start off bright yellow, but as it dries it turns a rustic-looking grayish brown.  Very interesting when you look at it close up, because you will often see ripply marks on the wood, and the vessels are dark and contrast with the lighter background.  And remember, free wood is good wood! 8) 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!