iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What fuel is everyone using

Started by Whiplash1, March 04, 2019, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiplash1

Been running 100ll in my saws and trimmers for 20+ years but latestest trip to stihl dealer has me wondering, in the process of checking out my 290fb and a 251 I was trading due to me needing to thin out some of my saws the mechanic starts shaking his head and saying this fuel will kill you.. I laugh and say what won't these days and he gets even more retarded telling me all the bad things that's in it and quit running it ASAP! I pretty much ignored him after that, haggled a little on the price and ended up bringing a new 261 cm home. Which rips btw.. can't count the number of carbs I've replaced for people running 87 ethenal fuel and don't wanna go that route but don't have any shops near that sell ethenal fuel near me. Options?

lxskllr

I'm personally not that comfortable running leaded fuel. Lead's more of an issue for children, but I still don't like the idea of it exhausting a couple feet from my face. I have alcohol free gas ~30 miles away, so I pick up 10G at a time, and it lasts sufficiently long enough to make the trip worthwhile. It that wasn't available, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd probably do some reading on removing the alcohol, and more importantly, boosting the octane once the alcohol was removed. It's all fairly straightforward, but it might be more hassle than I felt like dealing with. So... Not really sure. Leaded gas isn't completely off the table, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

upnut

I buy boat gas, specifically Valvetect Marine Fuel, at our local oil company bulk store. If it looks like the saws may set for very long I fill them up with Stihl Moto-Mix. The boat gas also goes in the ATV, snowblower, roto-tiller, wood splitter, etc. 

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

hedgerow

Were lucky and straight unleaded is just three miles down the highway from were I live. That's all I run in all my small engines,saws and old tractors. Have had zero issues with it. It is 25-30 cents higher per gallon. 

thecfarm

I use the highest grade of gas that I can buy at my local gas station. Got one of those Chevy Colorado trucks,that runs better on high test too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gearbox

Av gas is an option if your near an airport .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Inaotherlife

I wouldn't even know where to find pure gas.

I buy the canned mix on occasion. But usually buy super unleaded with 10% or less ethanol and use name brand oil made for outdoor power equipment.
Recently I've been spending the extra dollar a bottle for the Red Armor because it says that it stays good for a long time once mixed if kept in a tightly sealed container.

Allar

I run basic 95 octane pump gas on my equipment.
95 octane and 98 octane is what they sell on gas station, i'm not sure which one is  better for chainsaws.
I THINK i heard my husqvarna dealer say to run 98 octane, he did say that about lawnmower, not sure about chainsaw.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

RaulP

I use aspen. It is alkylat gasoline. It is very expensive but I can not stand regular exhaust gas from chainsaw anymore.

Al_Smith

8) Oh goody now more of the gas wars in conjuction with the great never ending on going epic  oil debate .If I had an airplane I'd run aviation gasoline .If I had a fully restored Rolls -Royce silver cloud I'd run pure non ethanol leaded gasoline .If I still owned my Harley chopper I'd run Cam II .All I have is a shed full of chainsaws,old tractors ,a few lawn mowers,a Ford Ranger and big Mercury automobile .They all seem to do just fine on pump gas   .Even my old Jeep that was brand new in 1965 .I was brand new in 1948 and I'm still running fine .I run just fine on black coffee ,Budweiser,fried chicken ,bacon ,and beef steak and potatoes .No grits for ,Yankee you know . :D :D

HolmenTree

VP fuels sell good gasoline everything from non leaded and leaded all the way up in octane over a 110. From 5 gallon pails up to 45 gallon drums or bigger.

Their quart 40;1 50:1 non ethanol non leaded goes for
$6.33 Canadian ($4.74 USD)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

scsmith42

Pure-gas.org and Buyrealgas.com are both good websites that list local stations that well ethanol free gas.

I buy 5-6 gallons at a time and use it to make my mix.  Works fine.

It is not leaded gas - just ethanol free.  Marina's usually sell ethanol free gas too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

knuckledragger

I use stihl timbersport fuel, I advise my clientale to do the same. If I can't get the stihl timbersport fuel then I will buy 93 mix that with orange bottle stihl oil. The timbersport fuel has a distinctive smell when a saw is tuned properly. I love that smell. I know fuel is expensive, however, the alternative is more so. That's just my opinion of course.

Drew62

Bog standard unleaded petrol @5 litres+100 ml of stihl orange mineral oil for ever,just lately switched to the semi synth green oil @ 40-1 with the same standard petrol.Never had an issue I know of running  multiple 2 stroke machines of a wide age range over 35 years.Honestly, I spend more time worrying about keeping chains and blades sharp,regularly cleaning/replacing air filters,changing out fuel/air filters and spark plugs etc.If your doing big hours these items should just be changed,maintained regularly.NOT when they fail,it should be part of your maintenance schedule.Apart from doing my own stuff,a lot of my customers ask me to service their mowers over Winter-which is handy over my quiet spell.Typical scenario:Nice top quality honda ohv mower you have here-how old is it?5 year old now.Me-when did you last change the oil/spark plug or air filter and ever balance and sharpen the blade?Umm, never replies the customer.Crazy when you think this could well be a £1000 mower.I mean,do you wait for your spark plugs to fail before you replace them on your car!?Otherwise intelligent people never fail to astonish me.
A slave to the machines.

Drew62

My favourite chainsaw,I like to run on vintage champagne with a heady slug of organic truffle oil  thumbs-up
A slave to the machines.

sablatnic

Aspen Alkylate Petrol. 
Because it won't hurt the engine and probably not me either, and my clothes won't stink. 
It is about twice the price of normal oil mixed petrol, but it is money well spent.

Inaotherlife

Quote from: knuckledragger on March 05, 2019, 02:18:38 PM
I use stihl timbersport fuel, I advise my clientale to do the same. If I can't get the stihl timbersport fuel then I will buy 93 mix that with orange bottle stihl oil. The timbersport fuel has a distinctive smell when a saw is tuned properly. I love that smell. I know fuel is expensive, however, the alternative is more so. That's just my opinion of course.
Depends on how much you use.
Say you use a little more than the average occasional user. Just a gallon or so of 2-stroke a month on average.
I know I can keep all my 2-stroke equipment running for 10 years on my home brew. 
So in that 10 years I saved about $15 a month. That's $1800. Enough to get a new pro saw or two every 10 years.

beav

Sorry for this off the wall answer but it is true!  I live off the grid with solar power so my 58v 16" echo truly runs on sunshine. However I do have to dump bar and chain oil into it

Air Lad

With so many different ideas and formula's it is hard to lock in on a favourite brew that will be 1. accesible 2. suit all machines 3. affordable 4. not be detrimental to engine life ( as a hobby/collector this one is important.. cause we love these little machines)
Please somebody come up with the perfect formula
Currently using 91 oct /unled /semi synth/40:1/and a fuel stabiliser
fishin-smiley

Allar

I did some research about the pump gas in my country.

Since may 2018 95 octane gas had 5% etanol and 98 octane gas had 0%
But in April 2019 the 95 octane gas will have 10% of ethanol in it and 98 octane gas will remain at 0%

So can you guys tell me, should i start using the 98 octane pump gas?
Or is the higher octane somehow going to damage my chainsaws, lawnmowers etc.

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

lxskllr

Quote from: Allar on March 06, 2019, 05:49:57 AM

So can you guys tell me, should i start using the 98 octane pump gas?
Or is the higher octane somehow going to damage my chainsaws, lawnmowers etc.
I don't think there's any harm in running too high octane. It can cause engines to run sub optimally(speaking more of cars here), but won't cause any damage. I'd be thrilled to find 98 octane corn free gas near me.

btulloh

Running 93 octane corn-free gas with Stabil has really helped my small engines and old engines.  Before I switched I was always cleaning carbs.  I use both 87 and 93 octane depending on the use.  Old tractors don't need high octane.
HM126

timberking

I can go to my local Wal Mart and get non ethanol 85.  Go down the road and get super non ethanol.  Goes in boat, lawnmower, blower, and chainsaw.

wild262

Quote from: timberking on March 06, 2019, 09:51:46 AM
I can go to my local Wal Mart and get non ethanol 85.  Go down the road and get super non ethanol.  Goes in boat, lawnmower, blower, and chainsaw.

Exactly what I do and have done for over 3 yrs.  Just bought 3 gal yesterday of the 85 oct. to start my winter wood cutting for next winter.  My fuel line, carb issues deceased.  Anyone with these issues needs to at least try this method.

Inaotherlife

Quote from: beav on March 05, 2019, 09:26:57 PM
Sorry for this off the wall answer but it is true!  I live off the grid with solar power so my 58v 16" echo truly runs on sunshine. However I do have to dump bar and chain oil into it
Far out man, far out

Thank You Sponsors!