Sponsors:

sharping chain?

Started by minesmoria, October 29, 2004, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I bought a dremel  stone tool.

It says to use pink stone for 3/8 pitch 7/32

blue stone 5/ 32 for 3/8  low profile lp

I dont know if i have lp chain or not, should i just try both and see which one gets it the sharpest?

SasquatchMan

I think it's more to do with how well the stone fits inside the curve of the cutter....
Senior Member?  That's funny.

tony_marks

its probably to late now .. but if u use that stone.. a little bit goes a real long way..
 mabe u can donate one chain to learning how to use the new tool..
 then just a little bit should bring the edge back,on the next chain..
jmo

jokers

What model # is your chain? provide us with any identifying numbers and someone will help you determine what size chain you have, it`s really key to use the right diameter stone or file.

Russ

minesmoria

The chain is 3/8 .50 guage oregon 72 i dont now if it is lp or not.

jokers

If it is 72, it`s standard 3/8 and the 7/32 stone would be correct until you are ground back about half way on the tooth, then switch to a 3/16 stone to maintain the correct sideplate angle.

Russ

rahtreelimbs

Lose the Dremel (junk.....big time) and learn to hand file. ;)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

sigidi

My 2 cents worth and by no means an expert opinion...

I've sharpened chain about 10 times now - the first sharpen was done by a dealer using a grinding machine - wasn't really impressed and was spurred on to learn myself really fast. ($12AUS for an 18" bar chain)

It's probably taken the first 5 hand sharpens for me to be happy with how it cuts and it's cutting much better now - at least it travels straight through the cut now!!!!

I'm using a Sharpboy Precision Filing Guide each sharpen - it is a bit to set up (5-7 mins) but it gives good results and I don't use the saw much, just trimming logs for the mill so I can sharpen at home of a nighttime.
Always willing to help - Allan

Minnesota_boy

I hit a bunch of steel with my chain (my fault) so I took it to the dealer to be resharpened.  Cost $10 for the resharpen, same as a new chain for that saw.  Guess who will sharpen his own or just replace from now on?  ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!