iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spline vs. scarf

Started by bigshow, June 06, 2007, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshow

Ok,  I got another one:

Plates and Principle purlins running the length of the structure:

Splines - shorter timbers, much quicker to cut, easier to assemble (well i suppose thats relative - but swinging around one 14' 8x10 or 8x12 seems more appealing to me that a scarfed 42' 8x10 or 8x12 comprised of a 16' and 26' timber.  hmmmmm that all of a sudden doesnt sound so bad.)
If i keep my timbers to 16' or less, i'll be saving quite a bit of money from my sawyer.

I'm torn - my research seems to indicate a scarfed continuous plate or principle purlin is more desirable.  But i see benson has some frames that are darn near all tension joints...

Any input??

thanks...
I never try anything, I just do it.

Jim_Rogers

I'd have to look at your full frame design again to make a guess. If the plates and or purlins are on top of your posts then scarfs are the answer if your plates and or purlins are going through a post then splines are the answer.....

From what I can see in your gallery, it looks like scarfs are the answer.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bigshow

Jim,

thanks for having a look. 
I never try anything, I just do it.

fjc

I like to use scarfed plates whenever possible. You can still "swing around" shorter members and assemble the plates together on the frame. Although it is not that diffucult to control a long scarfed plate in the air.

Make sure to have a good idea of where you want the scarf will be when you order timber, over the post or over the brace etc... Also be sure to get enough length for the joint.

DangleSnipe267

I have been looking around for some information related to this and happened upon this old thread. Is anyone here able to explain to me what the advantage of using a scarf joint on your top plate is as opposed to using a spline joint? Is it stronger or is it just easier to install? 

I am planning a 28 X 42 structure with 14' bent spacing and I can only mill 20' long timbers on my sawmill so it seemed to make more sense to me to use spline joinery instead of 2 scarf joints. Everything I have read thus far seems to recommend using a scarf joint but it isn't very clear to me why this is the case.

Jim_Rogers

First of all scarf should never be over a post. Lots of information here about why, do some research and find the reasons.

And your answer was in the previous post:

QuoteIf the plates and or purlins are on top of your posts then scarfs are the answer if your plates and or purlins are going through a post then splines are the answer....
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!