iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

wwsjr

Good to see you back on the Forum brother.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

WDH

Walnut always motivates me  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Another desk rubbed out today, Claro Walnut.... Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scully

I look forward to sawing anything I can get my hands on . I have a small stock pile of cherry and hard maple that I don't know what I should do with ,but if I can swing it I am going to saw out a barn for myself .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

Since "Next Year" is "This Year", I modified the Thread Title and we can share what we are sawing today or this week or whenever.   8)

I plan to go back to the Cabin next week and postpone any sawing until the following week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

outlawcowboy

those are some nice ERC magicman looks like a job. Ive got about 30 ERC right now that the big end is 26" and in the process of getting more for my cabin floors and ceiling.
1999 ford F-350 7.3 diesel
1961 Massey Ferguson 65: 50hp diesel
Stihl MS391
Stihl MS192

Stephen1

I am involved in sawing wood for the city of Toronto, we have 3 yards, meaning storage yards. We are converting to lumber, cants, slabs and firewood. We fill 20 yard bins with scabs, and small logs for firewood. Cants are going to a resaw for pallet wood and such. The ash on the mill I turned into live edge, book matched and we sold it for $500. We hope to start sorting the logs for grade and type. Right now we are in a race to salvage what we can, as the tub grinder is close to coming and grinding what we can not saw. It is an interesting experiment as we try to prove the city can make more money sawing than grinding.

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

Today I have been sawing some red oak for planks and trailer decking.

The planks are going to be 1 7/8" x 10" x 10' 6" for a company that installs concrete burial vaults at cemeteries. These planks are what is under the carpet that looks like green grass beside the burial spot. The Pall bearers walk out on these to set down the casket. I've been sawing these for this company for 20 years. They use them up and/or they split or something and they need more. Sometimes twice a year, sometimes more.

On the way to making these planks I'm cutting 1 1/2" planks for the trailer decking job I've got.
It's great when you can cut for two orders at the same time.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tule peak timber

This morning I bought a couple of truck loads of Almond logs. They are very short at 3 feet and about 18 inches in diameter. Call me crazy , but I think this stuff is very pretty wood, we shall see..... Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sawwood

Saturday I was able to go to the sawmill as I have a Sycamore log I needed to trim
down to fit our Norwood mill. The log is 10' long and 26" on small end and 30" on the
big end. I just cut one side down so it will fit the mill. The flat side I will put on the
back stops and trim it so I turn it to flatten the side I cut with the chainsaw. Our mill
will only cut a 17" wide cut so I may cut it into to quarter saw it. I also have some
White Oak logs I picked up from a tree service I need to trim to fit and I took some
photos of the logs. The Sycamore had been down about two years and it is spaulded
real good. Should make some nice lumber to sell.

Sawwood

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

francismilker

I've got a 500' live edge cedar siding job to do Saturday and other than that, I'm taking it easy. The broken ankle I suffered this past July doesn't like it when it gets below 32 for now so I'm letting it stay backed up to the wood stove as much as possible these days!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

hunz

I just started off the week going mobile. A 32'x32' barn for a local guy is what's on the cut list. I just wrapped up all of the 1"x11"x10' board and batten today. Just a tad over 2300 bd/ft tallied today. Tomorrow we start on some yellow pine 2x4 framing. Hopefully tomorrow goes as smoothly as today did!
The customer plans to be installing the lumber within a month, and insisted on stacking the lumber this way...who knows, different strokes for different folks.

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Darrel

Water oak, black oak, madrone, ponderosa pine, Doug fir, lodgepole pine, juniper.  I also know where there is some myrtlewood I'd like to get my hands on.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

backwoods sawyer

No Walnut Cedar or Maple on that list  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

FarmingSawyer

Neighbor just dropped off some short pine logs...... Guess I'm beginning my year with those.....The cedar I was going to mill got buried under the snow.

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Magicman

I am going to the Cabin hopefully for the rest of the week to continue on a carpentry job that I began a couple of weeks ago.  It will be cold but I can not waste time.

Next week I will be sawing two framing lumber jobs before going on probably three different "road trip" jobs.  My saw job list increased by three yesterday.  Two road trips and one local.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

After a month off, I finally started sawing today.

I'm sawing framing lumber from this whack of beetle killed SYP.  I am trying to finish two different jobs for two different customers before I make a 180 mile (one way) road trip next week.

The alarming thing was that I had a mechanical/electrical failure today.  Age had made the covering on the cable to the Setworks encoder brittle and allowed water to enter the encoder.  My Setworks was dead.

I finally completely disassembled the encoder and found the problem.  Water droplets on the LED lens.  I dried the water, but two parts of the optic sending and receiving unit became "unglued".  I used Goop to glue the parts back and so far the unit is working properly.  Since the entire unit was badly compromised, I made the decision to order a new encoder assembly.  It was supposed to be delivered this week, but when I checked the tracking # it said Tuesday the 20th.  I will be uneasy with this glued back together unit on a road trip next week.    :-\

mesquite buckeye

Uh, like mesquite. Duh. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

MM
Good on the fix.

Couple weeks ago the wife's quilting machine X encoder appeared to fail. $220 for a new one. Turned out to just be the cable to the X-Y encoders, but that was $60.
What's an encoder run for WM? Maybe I can adapt one to the quilt machine if needed in the future  ;D

What is the resolution(hits) per revolution with the WM encoder?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

This encoder has a sprocket that rides the up/down chain and tells the Setworks when it has traveled the designated (inch) increments that are punched into the display.  This unit can be had for a measly $468 plus tax and shipping.  :o

beenthere

Got it.  big $$$

Quotebut two parts of the optic sending and receiving unit became "unglued".  I used Goop to glue the parts back and so far the unit is working properly.

How many "parts" are there in total? i.e. If you lose one, what fraction of a rotation will be missing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

With the LED, lens, disk, window, & pickup, it's either a go or no-go situation.  It either works or it does not.  The cable was brittle and kept breaking and replacement cable was not available locally.

The real issue with me is reliability.  With the jobs that I have ahead of me, I have no time for a breakdown.

Thank You Sponsors!