iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a question on building with green logs

Started by Treeclimber, February 29, 2016, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbeane

Treelimber I think you have a great cabin started. You are doing what I am going to do to build a little house.  I have looked around on the net alot for someone building with squared logs like you are. I can find a little but not alot out there, or I am just missing it.  I was going to use poplar but I have been debating on pine. then I stumble on to what you are doing and I cant quit thinking about pine being what I want. I just got a sawmill a little over a month ago.  Woodmizer LT15. So I am new and learning. But all that aside I do love what you are doing.  I have never built with logs or anything like what I am thinking to do. I have done alot of framing but I can see this is a new learning experience.  Would love to send you a message and pick your brain a little. I think the pine I have is Pitch Pine and have been told it would make great construction lumber but I am not sure about using it as I am wanting to. Any thoughts anyone??  You have a great cabin and I hope you continue to add pictures to your gallery so I can watch your progress..Thanks for posting!
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Treeclimber

Any one know if I where just to stain wood or put linseed oil on the logs would this still allow them to dry? Don't want to trap moisture in logs by sealing them until there under 20% dry ... but I do want to go head and put something on them for looks and little protection

rjwoelk

I came across your thread on the cabin build. 
When we did our roof we used plywood sheeting then used a ice and rain shield membrane,  then strapped with 1x to attach  the tin. This gives you a cold roof. It helps with keeping the bottom side of the tin dry from condensation. (Spray foamed the inside or underside of the roof)
The other issue we ran into was the shrinking of the logs width wise and being that they are screwed down can and did cause some gaps in the corners.(1/8+)

. We did a dovetail and now it could not move in tighter. Perhaps yours was the same? Or did you insert the butt log into the pass log?
Nothing that a little caulking wouldn't fix. I liked your board and Barton, we are doing the same.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!