iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV broadcast spreader?

Started by DonE911, November 15, 2005, 06:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

does anyone have one that they are happy with?? One you are not happy with?

I need one in the worst way, but everything I have been looking at is cheap looking. 

Would like a 12V model with electric gate... something that would hold at least 100 lbs and could spread everything from seed to corn for the critters.

I've got two of those Polaris ATP's ( little dump bed on the back of a 4 wheeler, so I'd need one that can be hooked up to the trailer hitch receiver.  It's the small receiver... 1 1/4 I guess.... not the standard 2 inch.

Thanks for any wisdom you can pass along.

jon12345

what do you plan on using it for?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Norm

I bought one from Cabelas a few years ago and promptly returned it. It was not very well made and kept plugging, also the mount was real cheaply made.

Guess my advice is to not buy one from them. :D

sawguy21

I sold an Agri-Fab to a lawn maintenance contractor and he is very pleased with it. It is not really designed for commercial use though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DonE911

My planned use very soon will be to broadcast seed (rye) on the newly cleared land... later on I plan to spread summer grass seed and fert. a couple times a year.  I'd like to spread a little corn for the deer and turkeys, but I don't want a stationary feeder because the bears will tear it up in short order.

I have had my fill of the tow behind ground driven units... have used several of the cheaper models and wasn't pleased with any of them.  Because the land is not flat and smooth I know the ground driven models will just hop along and not throw evenly.

I looked at the cabelas model and thought it was to whimpy... glad you mentioned that you didn't like it ....

Murf

Quote from: DonE911 on November 16, 2005, 10:27:31 AM
Because the land is not flat and smooth I know the ground driven models will just hop along and not throw evenly.

I've found that if the ground is that rough the 4 wheeler wont be that much smoother either.

We just use an old set of discs and a chain harrow first, it's as smooth as I need after that.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

DonE911

Murf,

I'm going to use a chain harrow to smooth it out pretty well.  It wont be to rough, but steep enough in places that I don't want to use a tow behind model because of hopping and easy of turning it over.

Murf

If'n it's steep enough that yer afeerd of the spreader flippin over shouldn'tcha be goin ta other way, straight up'n'down like instead?

Better you be safe than us be sorry, sorta thing?  :o
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

DonE911

Well... yeah.. I prolly should do it that way...  but  ;)

isawlogs

We got a tow behind and took the wheels off and made a bracket and fixed it to the front of the ATV . Put a 12 volt wiper motor on it with a fan belt and use it this way .. I have put out corn and buck wheat and clover with it and had no problems so far with it . Ya need to fill it up often if you are doing any large area but thats little work as I haule the trailer behind with the seed .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jason_WI

My grandpa made one out of an old car rear end and a 55 gallon drum to spread fertilizer back in the day. Ground driven and wide enough not to tip over. It's parked in the woods slowly turning to iron oxide.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!