iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Chain for large bucking?

Started by Richard Karwowski, January 13, 2012, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack48

I use a 5/32 file on a 3/8 chisel chain right out of the box.

Take a good look at a new chisel cutter before you file it, it looks like its been filed with a smaller file then a 5/32 file.

On a new 3/8 chisel chain, when you put it on the saw, grab a 5/32 file and you'll see and feel the file fits right in the factory grind.

The only part of a chisel chain that does the cutting is the tip and top edge of the cutter.
If you file to deep you get to much hook, it will jerk and grab the wood, stop the chain, this is hard on everything and dangerous. You want to make sure theres a little bit of the file showing above the cutter when filing.
If you file to high on the cutter you get what is called a dray runner, no matter how times you sharpen, it cuts like its dull.

Once you get started right its so easy to keep sharp, a guy has to take his time to learn what to look for and get the feel of the file, then it starts to be fun.
When you look at the top edge of a cutter and you see a shinny edge, your chain is dull. You have to file until the shinny edge is gone, every stroke of the file you can watch it disappear.
One of the main things when filing by hand is don't rock the file, long slow straight strokes with the file [ don't pull the file back against the cutter]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

chevytaHOE5674

On my 3/8 chain I use either 7/32 or 13/64 files as that is what is recommended by the manufacture and they are the right size for the chain. They don't get into the tie straps and don't take too much off the top plate.

Only way to get good at hand filing is to do it over and over. Which means that you need to cut a lot of wood  8).

Al_Smith

Like I said it's just a preference . ;)

lumberjack48

I'm sorry Al, its not a preference for me, its the one that does a better job. I used a 7/32 for 25 yrs, I'd bought my son a little John, Jonsered, it called for 5/32 file. All my files were shot, so i grabbed the 5/32 file to finish the day.

I filed with it the rest of the day, i couldn't believe the difference, my saw cut smoother and faster and i could throw an edge on in half the time. I never went back to a 7/32 file.

Chevy, step out of the box, try a 5/32 file, the thing is you have to know how to file to use one, so you shouldn't have a problem. Theres no reason to be filing all that chain when theres no need to. The 5/32 break easy so don't push to hard, and turn the file counter clockwise when your filing.

I don't think you have any idea how much wood this Ole lumberjack has cut by hand. If i need a reference i can give you many, many ph #'s to call.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Well with due respect sir I don't question your methods I just make reference that there is more than one way to skin a cat .

Preference meaning in any case the method a certain person prefers to use .Mine doesn't happen to be a 5/32" file or a 40 degree top plate angle . Although I might add I do use a 5/32 on a certain portion of a race chain which is not  the topic so I won't go there .

lumberjack48

What i go by is how fast it cuts, the faster i can get it to cut the more i like it.

If you told me to use a 1/2" file, and it cut like a razor blade i would use it, what ever my preference was.

Al_Smith

Well yeah I can toss a race chain on and it does cut like a razor  but it just doesn't last long .

So then you have a choice 5 minutes with a 7/32 file on a 20 " loop of round chisel or an hour with three different files on a 3/8" square cut race chain .

It's a choice .I was born in '48 too by the way and have ran these noisey things since I was a teen ager .I'll just stick to my 7/32 file on a work chain I think . ;)

Just to clarify though we have no soft woods in this area save an occasional linden or cotton wood .Any deviation from the standard factory sharpening methods really doesn't gain much in terms of speed in the oaks and hickorys ,sugar maple and dead ash trees .A 40 degree angle might cut faster but only for a short period of time .On a dead ash you wouldn't make it a tank full .

chevytaHOE5674

I've tried all different sized files and always come back to the 7/32 or 13/64 as they do a good job for me, and I too cut a lot of wood.

If you prefer the 5/32 then have at it.

Thank You Sponsors!