iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taco replacement cartridge

Started by MJD, November 20, 2012, 06:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJD

I put a new cartridge in my pump in august to get ready for heating season and yesterday I get up go out to put a few chunks of wood in the C.B. and find the pump growling and not pumping ( no deer hunting this morning i guess), when it got light I poped the 6 year old cartridge back in. The pump is a 009-f5 the cartridge that failed  was a 009-021RP, my ? is, is that the right cartridge for that pump? I want to get another to have on hand but cant find a 009-f5 cartridge. Thanks for any help.

BBTom

From what I see online, the 021RP is the right cartridge for the f5 pump. That is assuming that you have a cast iron pump. 
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/product/taco-009-circulator-pump-replacement-cartridge-009-cast-iron-pumps
and
http://www.pexsupply.com/pex/control/category/~category_id=442/~refine=200442+6082073 

The attachment is from Taco and should be the "bible" for all replacement cartridges.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

MJD

Thanks BBTOM, I saw that same guide line when looking yesterday, I just want to make sure because that one sounded bad from day one and to only last a month and a half is sad and costly. I bought it a year or so ago so I doubt they will take it back.

Draco

I went through at least one Taco pump (cartridge) per year for three years.  I bought a different pump and haven't had a problem since.

MJD

beenthere

I put three B&G circulator pumps in my system a bit more that 20 years ago when I switched from an oil fired boiler to a gas backup boiler.
I have a spare pump, but to date these three pumps are the original and have (knock on wood) been trouble free. I can hear one of them running now so there may be some problem brewing, but I've heard it that way for about 5 years already.

I'm puzzled by these Taco pumps and why they don't hold up. As far as I can decipher, the B&G pumps do not have a cartridge to replace. Just replace with a new pump.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ga jones

I replaced mine with grundfoss 3 speed pumps about 6 years ago. have an extra on hand. never had to use it. 75 bucks around here.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Jim H

I've had the same taco pump since 1996. It's been on two different boilers. I've heard it growl and bought a replacement, but that was a year ago. It quieted down and is still working. :)
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

trapper

On my first taco 007 the impeller disintegrated.  I replaced the entire pump.  Almost equal in price to replacement cartridge.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

BBTom

I have had to replace one of each B&G, Grundfos and Taco.  They all lasted about the same length of time.  I have six or seven of them running in one capacity or another around the house and farm.  The oldest one I have is a monster B&G that was installed in 1965 and is starting to limp from time to time, a backup cost me $700.  Next is a Taco that I use for maple sap in the spring and water the rest of the year. It has been going since 1992.  All the rest are less than 10 years old.  I would say to buy whatever you got a good dealer for.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

MJD

I picked up a new cartridge ($108), I hope it lasts. Alot of places say there out of stock and this was the last one at this dealer, I have found the cross match in grundfos pumps and it sells for $185 which is about $40 cheaper than tacos  pump.

boilerman101

A properly sized pump should last for years, regardless of the brand.
I have over 10 years on my Taco 009 and have helped install many systems where the original pump is still working.
I think the main cause for pump failures is the fact that most people just plug them in and expect them to start pumping water.
This may work with pressurized systems.
Most OWF systems are open, non pressurized systems, so the pumps and PEX loops need to be filled and purged under pressure on initial install or if a pump replacement has taken place. Household domestic pressure (typically 40 PSI) should be connected to a drain valve teed somewhere into the loop, with water pushed back to the OWF through both the return line and the supply line by opening and closing the supply/return valves at the OWF (yes backwards through the pump) before ever plugging the pump in for the first time. Without doing this, the water lubed cartridge never fills correctly and all the air may not be pushed out of the lines and exchangers for full water flow, which is why pumps can fail in short order. I have even silenced noisy pumps by doing this process.

beenthere

boilerman
That is a great explanation and explains a lot.
I quickly forget that the OWB's are not usually pressurized, closed systems.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MJD

Boilerman on my owf I have a shutoff on both sides of the pump right after the flanges and after changing the cartridge and opening the shutoffs I can here the air bubble back into the furnace so I think the air would be out. Im thinking that I may have got a used cartridge (the one that failed) because the box was open and it came with 2 o-rings instead of a gasket like the 1st one I got and this last one also came with a gasket (the bad one bought in 2007 just to have if needed and decided to put it in before heating season since the other was 6 years old). Good point I could open the valve that supplies the gas boiler in the basement to purge the air out.

boilerman101

Taco recommends pumps be intially filled under pressure. Only way to do that in our case is by pushing domestic pressurized water back through to properly fill the cartridge with water for proper operation.Otherwise, more early failures....IMO

Thank You Sponsors!