iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar shack build

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, February 05, 2018, 03:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbla

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm impressed with the Sugar Shack.....I really am.
My kind of ideas being built by someone else. 8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

First time I see I sap house with a wood floor.
Have a guy up the road with a new wood floor blacksmith shop.
Best of luck with your build.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Quote from: samandothers on July 12, 2018, 09:44:22 AM
The posts on the porch is a nice touch.  When I hear sugar shack I think of the song and going down to the sugar shack.  To me I like the name and don't think of it negatively.  It is definitely a nice building.

Is the cupola functional, to allow smoke to escape?
The cupola's function is to allow steam and some of the heat to escape!
The smoke goes up through a pipe!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DeerMeadowFarm

he cupola will be functional for the release of steam. As Chuck mentioned, the smoke will exit through a chimney.

Peter - I'm not crazy about the wood floor, but due to the slop it was really all I could afford to do. My plan is to pour a lightweight concrete floor on it. A friend at work is trying to convince me to tile it instead as he thinks the concrete will crack. Any suggestions/experience would be appreciated!

Peter Drouin

I would have used the Cat to level the ground, Stonewall to make a wall on the uphill side. But too late now, It looks good. No matter what you put on the floor it will crack. Wood moves, that southern PT  Pine will have ½ rings in it and will move a lot. I would wait a year + before I did the floor.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

DeerMeadowFarm

Here are some updates! I need to wood side the ends of the cupola, install rake trim on cupola, and the ridge cap on the cupola and the roof is DONE!
Windows, doors, railings and stairs and then I can get my inspection!

Ed_K

Mine was starting to rot,so I took it down.

Going to put pier's in down to ledge. Some places it only down 2 ft.
Ed K

DeerMeadowFarm

Some updates. Majority of the windows are in and I'm getting ready for the cement. 

Some interior shots as well.

Ed_K

Nice timber frame. Do you have a picture of the cupola framing so I can copy it  ;D . Is the lean-to for room to strain and can syrup?
Ed K

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Ed_K on August 22, 2018, 03:43:20 PM
Nice timber frame. Do you have a picture of the cupola framing so I can copy it  ;D . Is the lean-to for room to strain and can syrup?

I can take a picture of it this weekend. We're hoping to get doors on it.

The lean-to is for firewood currently but we do have plans to finish off part of it for bottling once we go to RO and should be using less wood.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Ed_K on August 22, 2018, 03:43:20 PM
Nice timber frame. Do you have a picture of the cupola framing so I can copy it  ;D . Is the lean-to for room to strain and can syrup?
Cupola framing:

DeerMeadowFarm

"Shopping" for more posts/railings:

Magicman

Looking good.  You obviously enjoy climbing steps.   :D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Steam will be coming out in the spring.  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ed_K

Thanks DeerMeadowFarm, it will help a lot.
Ed K

DeerMeadowFarm

This weekend's update: Cupola doors!

Just hanging out!

Ed_K

Are you going to use rope and pulley's to open and close them? Or climb up to tight close at season end?
Ed K

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Ed_K on September 01, 2018, 08:04:39 AM
Are you going to use rope and pulley's to open and close them? Or climb up to tight close at season end?
I am going to use ropes and pulleys to open and close during the season and hard latch it with hook and eye closures during the off season.
I added window stays this weekend:

lynde37avery

looks awesome. nice sugar house. im planning on building a legit compound just like this next year to expand my maple operation over here in Colrain MA. i really like all the timbers you used.
Detroit WHAT?

cbla

DeerMeadowFarm

Got some more work done. The floor has been poured:

I also added chain stops to the cupola doors and built a pulley system for opening and closing the doors:

I also built some doors for the woodshed side (inside view showing locking mechanism):

I also built the front door and added some more work with railings on the woodshed:

I have front door hardware on order and my new maple equipment is on a truck and heading my way! I should get it sometime by the end of the week. We're getting there!

Chuck White

Nice looking sugar shack!

What brand and how big is the evaporator?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Chuck White on October 10, 2018, 07:05:57 AM
Nice looking sugar shack!

What brand and how big is the evaporator?
Thank you! We went with a Smoky Lake Maple 2x6 Corsair with a raised flue pan. Can't wait to get it!

Chuck White

Not familiar with Corsair, but I like the raised flues, that's what my brother has in his CDL evaporator!

Thank You Sponsors!