iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First full day of Sawing

Started by etroup10, August 10, 2014, 12:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Well today was my first full day of sawing and I had a blast! I had gotten to run the mill a little bit after work this week but I still am learning a lot. I'm just milling beams for a log home company and taking off big slabs to make the beams in as few cuts as possible and avoid blue stain from the sapwood. We then make wood shavings out of the slabs at work so we aren't wasting much. I'm working by myself but have a skidloader which helps a lot with the big beams! The biggest ones I got today were 12"x12"x16'. Here are some pictures of my progress. I didn't get as many beams as I had hoped but I'm still learning and things were starting to get faster towards the end.

There was just a little bit of stress in this slab  :D But the beam was still good!!

I had a pretty good slab pile at the end of the day, which is all going to be made into wood shavings

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

BCsaw

Looks like your coming along! Nice work.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

dgdrls

Well done Etroup10,

how about some pictures of the shaving mill??

Best
DGDrls

drobertson

You bet! getting a good rhythm is the main thing.  It just takes time and patience to get the flow, working part time has it's advantages, and disadvantages, but full day is a good way to make up ground. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

Nice, But there's a lot of 1x4 and 1x6 in the slab pile  :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

etroup10

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2014, 09:34:39 AM
Nice, But there's a lot of 1x4 and 1x6 in the slab pile  :o

Yes there is, but we are getting $.60/bf for the smaller beams and $1.00/bf for anything bigger than 8x12, and any 10x or 12x. We can sell as many of those beams as I can cut and so its just not worth the time to cut the small boards out of the slabs. We don't have a solid buyer for them and since we can just make them into shavings we aren't losing very much if any by not cutting them.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Chuck White

Seems to be a good market for shavings these day too.

It does speed things up a lot when you can make fewer cuts and still get your end product!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I had a similar job a few years ago, the order was to slab heavy and get the beams, some of the pine was bluing, and the logs were large, which made heavy, heavy slabs to pull off and handle.  I made the comment, can I take a few boards off for my keeping if it does not slow me down too much? explaining the weight issues I was having with some of the slabs,  he said go for it, later that day, he said nice call, he  ended paying for all I sawed.  I was picky, but some was just to good to be chipped.  It was a different scenario than what you are in, but close in some regards,  good job on getting it moving too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

etroup10

The crazy thing is, the past 2 years they had been turning logs like these into shavings!!!  :o There were a lot of great quality and clear logs that have were turned into shavings! And just for reference, the big log on top of the pile is 40" across at the butt end.

mad murdock

Congratulations!! Nice whack o beams there 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

I think that you are doing quite well.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

etroup10

Thanks everyone. I got to mill again today. The log home business needed some 8"x16"x16'. They didn't have to be boxed heart and could have sapwood. I was able to get a 16"x16" cant and split it in half. It was a shame to take that big of a cant and split it. I should have gotten pictures but didn't think about it at the time. Also, I was having a difficult time trying to turn the log with the claw turner after I got two sides done, and since its a 1995 woodmizer, it doesn't have the clamp that goes up and down which would have been nice. I ended up having to use the skid loader to pick up and flip the log.

Thank You Sponsors!