iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When do you know you no loger need your mill?

Started by opticsguy, August 13, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I have the proverbial situation of having more wood than I can shake a stick at.
I see 50 more trees I want to cut for the special types of wood I like to work with, but no more room for more wood, not sure if I will even use all the wood I now have.

My situation;  Cutting wood as a hobbiest only, not into selling. Most of my wood is used for specialty projects in my hobbies.  The only reason now for cutting more wood is to build a shed to put my wood inside,  where does it all end?

So, when is it time to let go?  Or options?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Chuck White

I never actually "needed" my mill, I just knew I wanted one!

I have set a time that my mill will go up for sale, and that is in 2018!

I will turn 70 in Jan of 2019 and elect not to run the mill after reaching 70, God willing!

Even though I would have some problems with the mill once in a while, I still love running it!

Opticsguy, it looks like your only choice is to either expand or quit sawing for a while and use up some of what you have stored!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ddcuning

I haven't even got my mill running yet and already have more wood than I need. My solution has been to start giving away the wood that I have to make room for new. Problem solved! ;D

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Deese

It's Therapy For Me.

This is me before sawing    smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy

This is me afterwards   smiley_bandana smiley_bandana smiley_bandana smiley_bandana smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Lots of good, rewarding uses for wood and your time if you don't want to sell.
Donations or trades to local woodworking clubs, Scouting groups, kids with projects, church groups, etc. I try to help these good causes when I can.
For example, I have a "birdhouse" pile of  cedar lumber where people who build bluebird houses (bluebird habitat restoration is a big thing around here) can come pick it up for free.  It's a trivial amount of wood to me, but it always makes me feel good when peoples'  eyes light up when I tell them "no charge."
I also donate wood to the local Army Woodshop where they use the lumber to build things for veterans.
Having a sawmill and lumber is a very valuable asset and skill set to use to help others even if only occasionally.  I sell wood, no doubt about it, I'm in business to make money, but some of my most rewarding "sawmill" memories are when I did something for free or to help somebody in need. Maybe something to think about.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rooster 58

Optics,
     Send all of your sawn lumber to me. Then you will need to keep your mill and be happy ;D

Magicman

I am 71 and you will have to ask someone older than I am.  I'll be sawing a Poplar job tomorrow.   ;D

Sounds like you are oversawing your needs.  Maybe the best storage facility for the extra lumber is in the trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 13, 2014, 12:54:34 PM
Lots of good, rewarding uses for wood and your time if you don't want to sell.
Donations or trades to local woodworking clubs, Scouting groups, kids with projects, church groups, etc. I try to help these good causes when I can.
For example, I have a "birdhouse" pile of  cedar lumber where people who build bluebird houses (bluebird habitat restoration is a big thing around here) can come pick it up for free.  It's a trivial amount of wood to me, but it always makes me feel good when peoples'  eyes light up when I tell them "no charge."
I also donate wood to the local Army Woodshop where they use the lumber to build things for veterans.

Having a sawmill and lumber is a very valuable asset and skill set to use to help others even if only occasionally.  I sell wood, no doubt about it, I'm in business to make money, but some of my most rewarding "sawmill" memories are when I did something for free or to help somebody in need. Maybe something to think about.
YH

Kudos on you YH.

I just donated a small stack of air dried White Ash to a promoter for the Wounded Warrior Program's "Ice Hockey" team.  They'll use the Ash to make some of the short specialized hockey sticks.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Buying a sawmill because you like wood, is sort of like buying a restaurant because you like food.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

YellowHammer,you are a good man. You are so good,I would almost eat some grits with ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2014, 06:24:36 PM
Buying a sawmill because you like wood, is sort of like buying a restaurant because you like food.  ::) ::) ::)

It could be worse. Have you seen the cost of some of those bass boats people buy? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 06:27:31 PM

It could be worse. Have you seen the cost of some of those bass boats people buy? :D
No, are they up there with a diesel hydraulic LT-40?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

You mean, is a Diesel LT40 up there with a bass boat? :D My point was, if one can afford a mill as a hobby, it's no worse than having a boat, motorcycle, or whatever other toy that is big bucks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on August 13, 2014, 01:18:03 PM
I am 71 and you will have to ask someone older than I am.  I'll be sawing a Poplar job tomorrow.   ;D

Sounds like you are oversawing your needs.  Maybe the best storage facility for the extra lumber is in the trees.
Maybe make a storage facility for the mill, and get it out when you need it again?

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 06:37:08 PM
You mean, is a Diesel LT40 up there with a bass boat? :D My point was, if one can afford a mill as a hobby, it's no worse than having a boat, motorcycle, or whatever other toy that is big bucks.
Agreed, and the mill probably uses less fuel.

Ianab

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2014, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 06:27:31 PM

No, are they up there with a diesel hydraulic LT-40?

Buddy's boat is ~$70,000 new, and the model he wants is more like $120k.

So yeah, a sawmill could be considered a "cheap" toy, and would burn less fuel.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Piston

You had it right in your first post...YOU answered YOUR OWN question!! 

Quote from: opticsguy on August 13, 2014, 10:44:45 AM
The only reason now for cutting more wood is to build a shed to put my wood inside,  where does it all end?

That's right, there ya go!  Once you build a shed and get all your wood inside, then you can start milling more wood.  It's really very simple, you just keep building more sheds, to store your wood in. 

Eventually, you'll have so many sheds, you won't have enough lumber to fill them.  That right there my friend, is the point at which you know, you have reached the "equalization of wood".  This is when the ration of available wood to mill, equals the available space to store it. 

Once you reach that point, post back up here, and ask us what to do next... 
Glad I could help  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

"equalization of wood"   :D   Maybe that should be in the FF dictionary.   :D

glassman_48

opticsguy,
How about a solar kiln?  I bet you would get a lot of local woodworkers coming out of the woods so to speak to get some kiln dried stuff.

bandmiller2

The minute you sell your mill you will need more wood for something. Build a good dry shed for the mill, it will never be worth less. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on August 13, 2014, 06:25:36 PM
YellowHammer,you are a good man. You are so good,I would almost eat some grits with ya.

:o :o :o :o :o Don't lose your head, Have a hamburger :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawdusty1

When the tax man comes to measure the square footage of all your wood sheds is when you'll know you have too many sheds.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Thank You Sponsors!