iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

windmill dangers.

Started by twobears, August 29, 2008, 12:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

has anybody else seen the video of a big windmill going out of control?? i saw a video of a windmill in denmark losing it breaking system in a strong storm.one of the blades shattered into a million pieces and the other two blades hit the tower.it shattered those blades and crushed the steel tower.the tower snapped at the joint in the tower and the top half of the windmill fell to the ground.when,the two blades hit the tower it also ripper apart the housing with the gearbox and ect in it.
the scary part is pieces went for a half a mile from where the windmill was.when,the windmill went out of control they evicted a 1/4 mile area around the tower and thought they would be safe.nobody got hurt but they very well could have.

delbert

Fla._Deadheader

AND ???

If anyone wants to worry about what COULD happen, then, all foggy highway areas NEED to be closed. FOG, DOES create injuries and deaths.  ::) ::) ::)

Not being a smarta$$ but, this society worrying about EVERYTHING that MIGHT happen, needs to just look around. There's NOT enough worrying to go around.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 29, 2008, 12:42:55 PM

AND ???

If anyone wants to worry about what COULD happen, then, all foggy highway areas NEED to be closed. FOG, DOES create injuries and deaths.  ::) ::) ::)

Not being a smarta$$ but, this society worrying about EVERYTHING that MIGHT happen, needs to just look around. There's NOT enough worrying to go around.  :) :)

Like the smog/fog on the turnpike they blamed on the pulp mill down in Knoxville. Some serious accidents happened there. Raised the stacks higher and problem was solved. Or at least I never heard any more trouble.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I'm with Harold's thoughts on this too...as for me, the greater (est) danger is getting into the auto, and onto the highway. Be safer to be in the military in Iraq. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberfaller390

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 29, 2008, 01:51:03 PM
Like the smog/fog on the turnpike they blamed on the pulp mill down in Knoxville. Some serious accidents happened there. Raised the stacks higher and problem was solved. Or at least I never heard any more trouble.
Yep the Bowater paper mill is what caused the fog up there. It actually is a little place called Charelston TN. The stacks and them dumping hot water into the river is what caused the fog, they denied the hot water but you ask any old timer up there and they would tell you there was no fog before the mill came in.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

SwampDonkey

I've been there.  8)

But, it's like this area when we call it Centreville. I'm not actually in the village. I'm up in Royalton, 5 miles northwest.  The old rural route address scheme was always addressed as Centreville R.R. # ??. We never knew where we lived until 911 came along. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

twobears

all i asked is if anybody saw that video. i,am very much pro windmill but,watching that mill come apart was impressive.
they built 198 windmills of that size and type a hour south of me.some of the parts came right by my house.it,s hard to believe the blades could hit that tower so hard it flattened it and took the whole top half down.

delbert

sawmilllawyer

Yes Delbert, I saw what I believe to be the same video on a T.V. show named "Destroyed in Seconds". Impressive as far as the damage caused by the blades. Appparently, the blades were spinning at four times their rated capacity immediately prior to the first blade snapping off and the other two blades shearing the metal tower. Thankfully no one was injured. Here in Oklahoma about sixty miles from me there is a wind farm. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

twobears

yep,jeff thats it the braking system failed in a strong storm and that was the result.

delbert

timberfaller390

Did the brakes fail because of the storm or was that a mechanical SNAFU that happened at the worst possible time?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

twobears

it was a mechanical SNAFU at the wrong time.i would think they would have another way to shut the windmill down if the braking system failed.that was a big lose of money.

delbert

stonebroke

Windmills generally have redundant braking systems. Both failed . It might be time to look at triple redundant braking systems.

Stonebroke

twobears

to me that shows just how much power is in wind.

delbert

Ironwood

That was impressive!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

That reminds me of a scene from the Jody Foster movie "Contact"  The transporter that is built is sabotaged by a bomb and comes unglued. Pretty good old movie. You can see the scene I am talking about near the end of this youtube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZn825jemqk
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_S.

Thanks Jeff.  >:(
There aren't enough hours in the day already. Now I have to go out and rent the movie so I can see what happened.

;) :D

That kind of turbine meltdown would kill the industry if it happened here.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

rowerwet

you would think they would have the technology to just turn the wind mill out of the wind ( so it didn't face directly into it) these windmills don't have a tail, there is a motor to change the dirction.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

bandmiller2

We need " windmill control" quess thats why their out on wind farms not in town.Everything man builds is prone to failure.Wonder if the dutch had that problem years ago??
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Radar67

Speaking of controls, does anyone know of a speed control that would keep say an alternator from going over a certian rpm?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

I would say you need to control the driver of the Alternator.  What do you plan to use to power the Alternator ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

I have an idea about using the wind to power the alternator, but not with a traditional windmill. Picture a squirrel cage blower fan, but on a larger scale and different blade configuration, with the alternator in place of the motor. I will most likely have to gear or belt drive it to get the rpm where they need to be, but in a high wind situation, need something to slow it down or shut it down to keep from burning the alternator up.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pineywoods

Quote from: Radar67 on April 03, 2009, 09:37:53 AM
Speaking of controls, does anyone know of a speed control that would keep say an alternator from going over a certian rpm?

Radar, I assume you are thinking windmill driven alternators. the old farm-type windmills used a mechanical governor which swing the tail vane around to point the windmill head less into the wind. Didn't work too well,especially with gusty winds.
I think on the big windmills, the pitch of the blades is controlled by an electric motor, hence some speed control. In theory, the blades can be set to zero angle to stop rotation completely. But that ain't nowhere near close enough. To connect a generator of any type to the power grid, the frequency and phase of the generator output has to match the grid perfectly, otherwise spitzensparken und fusenpopen. output of the actual alternator is usually multiphase ac which gets rectified down to dc. The final output is done with a honkin big electronic inverter.
The DIY crowd has available plans for a low-speed homemade alternator built from a car brake drum and a bunch of husky magnets out of microwave ovens. Makes multi-phase ac, frequency and voltage vary depending on rotation speed. That's rectified to dc and used to recharge a battery bank.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

chainspinrunner

I live in Western New York Southern Erie county and we just had a couple hundred Vesta units put in in a few counties to the south in the past 2 years and these projects are on mostly private farm and forest land. These windmills are fairly new and have not been tested against mother nature yet. I can see a failure resulting in major damages in such a rural area. Some of these turbines are right on top of the farms and close to residences, snowmobile trails, hunting land, etc...
Has anyone heard of major damage to ares such as this.
Grose

Fla._Deadheader

Radar, what you are describing is a VAWT (Vertical Axis Wind Turbine). For ALL info you could possible want, go here.

http://www.fieldlines.com
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!