iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil Cloth

Started by Radar67, January 02, 2009, 12:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Has anybody ever made or used oil cloth? I'm looking for the best method to make it. So far, the best formula I have found is 2 parts paint thinner to 1 part linseed oil. Paint that onto the cloth, which is hanging vertical, and let dry for a week or more.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

logwalker

What do you use it for? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Radar67

Oil cloth was traditionally used for steam trunk coverings, tents, bed rolls, ground cloths, table cloths, bags, rain proof clothes, etc.

I want to use it for tarps and such made from bed sheets.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

stonebroke

You ever heard of blue tarps?

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

I didn't know what you was up to Radar. The only time I herd that term used was in floor coverings . It must be an old product as my grand mother always mentioned using it. Seems to me I've seen it even in this old house, but it didn't wear too good. A lot I've seen was worn down to the wood. Dad said they used it on table tops to, but I never seen it used here on tables.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

Stonebroke, blue tarps are a waste of good money. They last less than a year in the sun, and don't even get me started on the wind.  :( Sorry for the rant, but there is just too much waste going on.

I want a product that will last for many seasons and oil cloth lasts. I want to cover material on a trailer and not have to worry about the wind tearing it, or water pooling and ripping it.

SD, it is old school. I've always said I was born a hundred years too late.

Ironwood

HEY,                       HEY fellas, got a little secret I want to let you in on. STOP buying and making tarps. Do you know the HIDEOUES roadside signs that pollute America? Most of them are HIGH quality reinforced poly "whatever" and last for years outdoors. They only get used once for the most part. Do the enviro a favor and track down where your local outdoor advertising folks that get rid of them. I buy them occasionally, dumpster dive for old roofing rubber from flat roof jobs and somtimes get it all for free. On the rubber, you will likely be providing a service for the roof crews as you help lessen tipping fees, and on the roadside signs usually giving them a few boards or a small token (sometimes beer, wood, small orpan furniture) works.
FYI, and a GOOD secret to share. I will hold off on some other "sources of cool stuff unrelated to tarps for now", I am a MASTER scrounger :D ;D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Woodchuck53

ironwood, you sound like my kind of guy. I've been using old billboard faces for a few years now to cover just about anything. The people I use give them away so they don't stack up in there way. I recycled before it was a fad. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

SwampDonkey

Dad always used good canvas tarps, they made them locally. The place also made or rented huge tents for outdoor trade shows and exhibitions. Used them a few times for forestry field days. I remember using the same tents for years. You guys are right about the poly tarps, they are useless in the wind. The eye hooks pull right out of them right out of the sac.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Ironwood,I wondered what you meant by HIDEOUS roadside signs.Don't see many in Maine.I think there is a law against them here in Maine.I could use something that would last too.I get some roll carpet,as we call it,from work.BUT,it's not water proof. Works good for keeping the snow off.I can shovel the snow of it without ripping the carpet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

All provincial signs here are aluminum placard and either PT post or aluminum post. Be hard to make a tent out of that, other than the frame.  Used to be a wood based placard as by spring it looked like a war zone with chunks of wood ripped out of the placard by the snow plows. Now they just try to wrap'm around the posts. :D

Fla._Deadheader

When the "Typical" Awning type canvas gets old, it will leak. There is a Silicone based liquid that can be applied, and it stops the leakage. Dries rapidly, doesn't cause mold or mildew to grow, as oil cloth might. A gallon will treat a LOT of cloth. Used it on Boat canvas a LOT instead of charging customers for "New" canvas every 3 years.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

CF,

It is one of the tragedies that took hold in most of the country blighting our beatuiful roadside world. There are few places they are outlawed, I think NH or Vermont, and as stated Maine. Here in PA. we have MANY beautiful vistas and the signage is such a distraction. Multi billion dollar industry NOT going away. We have seen many empty billboards lately due to the economy, good to see some saturation FINALLY. For a while those 4#%^ things were popping up like weeds :( :-X

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

timberfaller390

When we made oil cloth for civil war reenacting, we would use straight linseed oil and do really thin coats. I like the adding paint thinner idea. Another thing we did with a new canvas tent was soak it down whit thompson's wood sealer. If you really want to get in depth with it I have a book with the Confederate army's recipie for oil cloth. I can post that if you would like. A word of warning if you don't already know, linseed oil soaked rags can spontainiously combust in the right conditions, so don't throw them in the shop garbage can.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Radar67

Timberfaller, I sure would like to see that recipe. As for the oily rags, I lay all my shop rags out flat, on the outside to dry out before they are washed or disposed of.

Ironwood

Always read about that, kinda did an experiement a few years ago  :o definitely works. Nieghbors at the end of the drive called about my buring trash can. Once you see what can happen, you'll never forget.

Ironwood

WildDog

Radar we use oiled rainwear down here in the bush. There is a major supplier called Driza-Bone, my understanding is the heavy 12oz cotton cloth is impregnated with parrafin wax and then oiled with the companys product. I used to buy a can of it and re-oil my riding jackets, a couple of these were dried out and worn that much I doubt any wax was left but the oil rejuvenated it. I am not sure what there oil product is it's a company secret but I am thinking maybe of trying just parafin oil and some thinners like you mentioned.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Radar67

Just a note, always mix the melted paraffin to thinners away from the fire.  ;)

timberfaller390

Quote from: Radar67 on January 03, 2009, 12:11:54 PM
Timberfaller, I sure would like to see that recipe.
I'll get it dug out today.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

cheyenne

I will let you in on a secret i've used for 50 years. Find a swimming pool co. and ask them if you could have their old Vinal liners. Cut them to any size you want. Get a grommet press and grommets and your off and running. They fold up nice and tight for storage and are easely cleaned just rinse off with a hose. Old inner tubes and s hooks for bungees.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Radar67

I haven't even considered that, and I have a pool company not a mile from the house.

shinnlinger

Hi,

I too have grown disgusted with blue tarps but can never shell out for canvas ones when the time comes.  I think the oilcloth/linseed oil is the right idea, but I also have and I have a few Driz-a-bone souvenirs from my experience down under.

"Back in the day" I used to melt parafin(double boiler on this trust me) and mix it 50-50 with kerosene to protect wood and I see no reason why you couldnt use that straight on your bedsheet or add melted parfin to your linseed oil mix for extra water repelency...

I still would like to see the confederate recipe though....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

timberfaller390

Sorry boys I forgot all about this thread. Here is the recipie for "lacker for general water proofing" straight out of The Army of the Confederacy Ordinance Manual First Edition 1863.
Beeswax......................13 lbs.
Spirits of turpentine........13 galls.
Boiled linseed oil............1 gal.
All the ingredients should be pure and of the best quality. Heat them together
in a copper or earthen vessel, over a gentle fire, in a water bath, until they are well mixed.
                  "Recipie for boiled oil"
Raw linseed oil..............103 lbs.
Copperas......................3.15 lbs
Litharge........................6.3 lbs
Put the copperas and litharge in a cloth bag and suspend it in the middle of the kettle.
Boil for 4 1/2 hours,with a slow, even fire, so that it may not be burned; then let
it stand and deposit the sediment.

A gallon of linseed oil weighs.............7.5 lbs.
"             " spirits of turpintine............7.25
"             " japan varnish...................7.0
"             " sperm oil........................7.12
"             " neat's-foot oil..................7.63

"Fate denied us victory, but deemed us glorious immortality" Robert E. Lee
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Radar67

Thanks for the recipe timberfaller.

SL, adding a little wax seems like a good idea. I have not made this yet. I have been flip flopping between using a good sheet, or using the 6 oz canvas 4x10 runners painters use as drop cloths. I can pick those up reasonably and have the capability to sew them together to make them wider.

shinnlinger

Radar,

Being from a state that doesn't beleive in billboards and doesn't have many pools to boot I am intriged by this idea.  I was thinking a stroll to the thrift store is in order.

ANy reason why old electric blankets wouldn't work?  My thought is they are a dime a dozen and a little thicker than a sheet ANd I might be able to talk the local home Economics calss to sew some together for me.

Timberfaller,

That is a cool recipe, thanks for typing it in.  It looks like a modern parafin-PT thinner-linseed oil batch would do something.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!