iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

address book in outlook express

Started by highpockets, June 22, 2006, 06:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

This ain't about sawing, wood working, hauling logs, or anything else that is really interesting.  It is about a headache, looking for a big hammer, and a computer cussing, and a lot of walking away and coming back after you cool down.  I am sure Bill Gates ears were burning.   

When we returned from vacation I noticed that I could receive email using Outlook Express but could not send any mail.  It seems that the address book had been corrupted.  There was the big and bold notice that I'd have to reinstall the program, etc.  Since this computer did not come with a XP Disc that was not an option.  After doing all of the little tricks that I knew and calling my server tech who is pretty smart and very nice,  I found a thread on Microsoft explaining the problem.   I had searched all day using reinstall outlook,  address book, etc. 

Finally I found a webpage that stated that if one had made the original address book in an early version of Outlook Express and also updated Microsoft's Update File 911567, then it could corrupt the book.  It just so happens that after 18 years of messing with computers, I had decided to let Microsoft update my computer at will.  In my opinion, that is a no no.  Anyway, the solution is to make a copy of the address book, store it elsewhere, delete the original one in documents and settings. Then open the outlook express and import the stored book. So far it seems to work.

CAUSE
Most of the time, these symptoms are caused by a corruption in the Address Book. Frequently, the corruption occurs over time in address books that were created in older versions of Outlook Express. Earlier versions of Outlook Express did not detect this corruption, and the address book functionality was not affected. After you install cumulative security update 911567, Outlook Express examines each address book file for corruption. If Outlook Express detects corruption, you receive an error message.
   Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1.   Uninstall cumulative security update 911567. To remove this update, use the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. System administrators can also use the Spuninst.exe utility to remove this security update. For more information about how to uninstall software updates, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/removing_patches.asp (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/removing_patches.asp)
2.   Copy the .wab file that is located in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<user.wab>Paste a copy of this file in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Desktop\backup.wabNote In this step, <user> is your Microsoft Windows user name. Make sure there is no <user>.wab file on your Desktop.
3.   Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
4.   At the command prompt, type the following: Del "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<user>.*"Note By using the asterisk (*), any file that starts with your user name is deleted.
5.   Start Outlook Express.
6.   On the Tools menu, click Address Book. Notice that the Address Book does not contain any contacts.
7.   On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Address Book.
8.   Import the backup.wab file that is located in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Desktop
9.   Reinstall security update 911567. 911567 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911567/) MS06-016: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express
Note If you find more than one .wab file, rename the user name with which you are currently logged in. If the user name is the default user name, the file name is Default.wab.

After you apply these changes, import all contacts that are contained in the old .wab file to the new profile that you have created. All contacts that are contained in the.wab file are imported to the new profile. During importing, folders are not recognized. Therefore, all contacts are imported to the profile. If you have shared groups, these groups are imported to the profile.

Note This resolution does not apply to Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2 (SP2) on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4). Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
   Back to the top

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Quartlow

Quote from: highpockets on June 22, 2006, 06:01:43 AM
This ain't about sawing, wood working, hauling logs, or anything else that is really interesting.  It is about a headache, looking for a big hammer, and a computer cussing, and a lot of walking away and coming back after you cool down.  I am sure Bill Gates ears were burning.   

When we returned from vacation I noticed that I could receive email using Outlook Express but could not send any mail.  It seems that the address book had been corrupted.  There was the big and bold notice that I'd have to reinstall the program, etc.  Since this computer did not come with a XP Disc that was not an option.  After doing all of the little tricks that I knew and calling my server tech who is pretty smart and very nice,  I found a thread on Microsoft explaining the problem.   I had searched all day using reinstall outlook,  address book, etc. 

Finally I found a webpage that stated that if one had made the original address book in an early version of Outlook Express and also updated Microsoft's Update File 911567, then it could corrupt the book.  It just so happens that after 18 years of messing with computers, I had decided to let Microsoft update my computer at will.  In my opinion, that is a no no.  Anyway, the solution is to make a copy of the address book, store it elsewhere, delete the original one in documents and settings. Then open the outlook express and import the stored book. So far it seems to work.

CAUSE
Most of the time, these symptoms are caused by a corruption in the Address Book. Frequently, the corruption occurs over time in address books that were created in older versions of Outlook Express. Earlier versions of Outlook Express did not detect this corruption, and the address book functionality was not affected. After you install cumulative security update 911567, Outlook Express examines each address book file for corruption. If Outlook Express detects corruption, you receive an error message.
   Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

Install Mozilla thunderbird

There fixed that for ya  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I think I'll go hide now !!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

tomboysawyer

Ditto on the Thunderbird.

You may just find you have lost whatever you let Microsoft manage for you.

While you're installing Thunderbird, grab Firefox.

http://mozilla.org

highpockets

Thanks guys but I thought old Mozilla got washed away in the Katrina flood.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

highpockets

I went in and looked at Thunderbird.  For years I used Pagasus Mail in Russia and finally switched over to Outlook Express after coming home.  I started in about 1989 using such programs as Lotus for spreadsheets but switched to Excel in about 1993. Mostly because our Dallas and Tianjin Offices were using them.  I'm going to try Thunderbird.

Thanks   
Louisiana Country boy

beenthere

I use Thunderbird, after using Eudora for several years.  In the interim, I tried Outlook Express and compared to Eudora, it was an abomination - awkward and very unfriendly.  It was suggested I switch to Thunderbird and I did. Not quite as good as Eudora was, but close.

Just a month ago, for some unexplained reason, Thunderbird started taking at least 5 minutes to log in. My provider doesn't understand it, nor can I penetrate the Mozilla Thunderbird "help" people (they are as isolated as Symantec Norton  >:(  )  But I just tolerate the long login time in hopes another update will fix it.

Thunderbird doesn't have color or much for smiley's, and the address book is more difficult to work with than Eudora was. Even though Thunderbird has a good memory for listing previous address names (i.e type in the first letter and the 'alike' ones pop up) it is difficult to remove and clean out those addy's that are no good anymore.  My brother has had to change his provider 4 times in the last year. Now when I start typing his handle 'sailor' all four pop up even though three of them are no longer in the address book that I can edit. Not sure where the other ones are residing, but keep trying to find out and delete them. With Eudora, when the list popped up, I could highlight them right there and delete them once and for all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tomboysawyer

Quote from: highpockets on June 23, 2006, 06:53:45 AM
Thanks guys but I thought old Mozilla got washed away in the Katrina flood.
Being open source, there is no such thing as the program losing support due to one disaster on the planet. Mozilla.org is up and running and all the open source products being developed and tweaked by all the developers are there and mirrored around the world.

Could you be thinking of Netscape?

As for lack of smiley's and bells and whistles - that's just dress up. I see a couple folks (like me) paint their sawmills when they get them or a new mod) but how many of you pinstripe your mills, or put chrome rims on your bulldozer?

I'll take functional, practical, and reliable over flashy and targetted by viruses constantly. I can't afford to lose my data. It is even more important when I set employees up with local e-mail. Teach them as I might, I've watched them click on unsafe attachments and say "Hey, look what happens when I click this". I think the folks a mile away can hear me yell. If you can afford the bucks, Enduro is really nice.

Quartlow

theres a way to get rid of those old email addys, but its eluding me at the moment  ::)

well its still eluding me but you can get answers here

Mozilla help forums
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sawguy21

I switched to Firefox to cut down on the annoying popups that I was getting on IE. I do like it. I tried Thunderbird but found it would not receive any mails with attachments. Maybe I need to lower the security settings if that is possible.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

highpockets

Well I didn't get around to downloading thunderbird yesterday but may try today.  Beenthere I am interested as to why it is taking you so long to log in.  If you find out, please let me know.  I've always figured if one could stay away from Microsoft stuff like Outlook Express, one would be less likely to get viruses.  Still I seem to wonder that way. 

I have about decided that I was right about one thing. I have never been one to let a virus scan program nor a windows update program run at will.  My thinking is that it could load something or make other changes that I was unaware of.  This seems to be what happened to me last week.  I got weak and had decided to let the compputer work on its own.  Mistake in my opinion.
Louisiana Country boy

Quartlow

With the default settings I get attachments just fine. Never had any problem with it logging in either
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

getoverit

I thought I was the only one that had the strange "corrupt address book" problem. I searched for days and finally just deleted everything that had to do with outlook express in it and started over. It all seems to work fine except I cant go in and make changes to the settings in OE now. Maybe I need to re-install that patch?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!