iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dark splotches appear on pine after staining - why? prevention?

Started by Fairytale, August 07, 2009, 05:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairytale

I have a normal piece of pine that after staining the surface with your average stains (I've tried different ones), it periodically will develop significantly dark areas like it's accepting more of the pigment than other areas in that stick. They follow the grain so its the wood and not something contaminating it that I can see.  What is causing this and how do I avoid this?

Warbird

I am still sort of a 'n00b' and/or hobbiest but I think it is likely happening because the grain is much more open in the area where the darker splotches occur.  To get around this, you can apply a sealer before staining and also use a heavier bodied stain.

I'm hoping someone with a lot more experience will chime in and confirm.

beenthere

fairytale
Welcome to the forum.
What pine is it? and can you post a pic of the problem? 

Hint:  Posting in more than one board not necessary.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Gel stain will have much more even color, as will using a wood conditioner before staining. Also make sure you are getting them sanding good enough, rough spots will absorb more stain
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LeeB

You sort of answered your own question. It come from the difference in density in the early and late wood, one absorbs more stain than the other. Pine is just one of the woods prone to splotching as its called. The above posts tell how to lessen the problem.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jteneyck

Sand thoroughly and to at least 220 grit, then apply a coat of shellac.  Buy some "SealCoat" shellac, and thin it to a 1 lb. cut (3 parts denatured alcohol to 2 parts SealCoat, I think).  You can put it on with a brush.  Just put it on uniformly, and don't go back over it once it's on.  After this is dry, scuff sand with 220 grit.  Then put on your stain.  Gel stain is easier to use than the thin stuff.

If you have a spray outfit, you can spray on dye stain (Transtint works well) in thin coats until you get the shade you want.  This approach greatly reduces/eliminates blotches. 

I've used these approaches on pine and maple with good success.  You can find a lot more info. in Fine Woodworking. 

Good luck. 

Thank You Sponsors!