iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Elm for shingles???

Started by Rob-IL, April 25, 2007, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob-IL

Does anyone have an idea of how Red Elm would work for roof shingles. Were constructing a log structure (Pioneer Blockhouse) and have access to a small amount of Cypress and several nice Red Elm logs that we will have processed. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Dodgy Loner

I assume you're planning to saw them, not split them.  Splitting elm is an effort in futility due to the interlocking grain.  Unfortunately, elm of any type is not a good choice for roofing shingles.  It has very low resistance to rot, and even if you treated it, the interlocking grain would probably result in some shingles that are shaped like potato chips.  On the other hand, it does make beautiful lumber.  Maybe you could saw them into lumber, sell it, and buy some more suitable logs  ;D ;D  I recommend cedar, oak (white is better than red, but either will do), or cypress.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!