iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles...at age 31...really

Started by Leigh Family Farm, February 14, 2013, 08:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Family Farm

I was only out of work for 5 days (thank you sick leave) and was on light duty for another week. The biggest problem was I could not sit in a chair for more than an hour before I had to move around. Everything went away in a few weeks, including the marks, and I haven't had any relapses or stuff like that.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Busy Beaver Lumber

I had a bout with them on my forehead when I was 39. Very painful. Felt like my skin was going to rip, and yes, i was under tremendous stress at that time.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

SLawyer Dave

I came down with Shingles 15 days ago, though at the time I thought I was having a bad reaction to Aspercreme, (which my wife put on my shoulder because it was a little sore after a 16 hour day of wood cutting and hauling).  It got really painful, and like you, kept spreading, so I finally went into the doctor.  Same as you, as soon as I took off my shirt, he said, "Nope, you got the shingles".  Like you, I was very surprised.  I am 46, and in the best physical shape since probably my early thirties.  My doctor said it was probably triggered by my weight loss efforts, as apparently my body is "stressed" because I am making it lose weight, (which the doctor told me to do in the first place). 

The doctor said he can't even give me the vaccine until I turn 50, because it is not licensed for anyone under that age.  Luckily the anti-viral meds he put me on seemed to keep it a "mild" case.  The pain pretty much went away after a week, though I still have the scabbed over lesions. 

At least I didn't have to worry about my wife and unborn child's health.  That just sucks.  What horrible timing.  I sure hope all is well with them, and that your bout is mild and short lasting.  Did your doctor put you on an anti-viral medication? 

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: SLawyer Dave on April 02, 2013, 02:38:12 AM
At least I didn't have to worry about my wife and unborn child's health.  That just sucks.  What horrible timing.  I sure hope all is well with them, and that your bout is mild and short lasting.  Did your doctor put you on an anti-viral medication? 

I was lucky in the fact that my wife already had chicken pox so there was no harm to her or the baby. I was put on Valtrex for 10 days and everything went away.

Norm

Probably doctorb can confirm this but I was told the age had been lowered to 50. Valtrex is very effective especially if you catch an outbreak within 24 hours, Patty used it until they lowered the age.

Leigh Family Farm

I had the outbreak for almost 5 days before I started Valtrex. Still worked like a charm. I'm sure if I caught it earlier, I would have been in less pain.

Thank You Sponsors!