iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone saw sweet gum?

Started by LaneC, November 23, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Hello. I am new here so excuse my ignorance, but out of all the topics and articles I have read I have not heard of any subjects on the use or the milling of sweetgum. Can it be used as furniture or for barn/shed building or what. Thanks for any input
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to admit.....I do saw Sweet Gum for my personal use for siding. I ONLY use it for siding and usually saw enough I can put up in a weekend. I always use screws or ring-shanked nails to put it up......Sweet Gum tends to want to warp a little in this world.  :D
As Magicman would say.....just don't let it touch the ground. :)

Cruise the internet for Sweet Gum furniture......it's beautiful.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Your question especially made me laugh.   :D

Across the sorta top left of the screen just below the Good Evening, etc banner is a row of tools.  Click on the "search" button and enter sweet gum and also sweetgum.  The rest of your evening will be spent sweetgumming.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 23, 2013, 08:46:10 PM
Your question especially made me laugh.   :D

Across the sorta top left of the screen just below the Good Evening, etc banner is a row of tools.  Click on the "search" button and enter sweet gum and also sweetgum.  The rest of your evening will be spent sweetgumming.   :D

:D :D :D :D :D Now this reply.....Takes the cake!!!  :D :D :D :D :D

He's telling the truth Lane. :)

LaneC

Good evening Gents. I am glad I finally made someone laugh haha. Thanks for the tip and I dont know if sweetgumming is legal here. Especially all night. hahaha. Thanks again

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: LaneC on November 23, 2013, 08:55:13 PM
Good evening Gents. I am glad I finally made someone laugh haha. Thanks for the tip and I dont know if sweetgumming is legal here. Especially all night. hahaha. Thanks again

It's Legal Lane.......you don't need a permit for Sweet Gum.  :D Welcome to the Forum my Friend.  :)

LaneC

I was just joking about the legality part haha. Thanks.

Banjo picker

They make good rail road ties...slab heavy and burn the slabs to stay warm.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

5quarter

I've heard its good for crane matting too...would that count as outdoor furniture?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Sweetgum is great if you need curved wood.  It is self-twisting  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 24, 2013, 09:49:23 AM
meanie    ;D    :D

Am I detecting a little friendliness toward Sweet Gum now?  ::)

LaneC

Thanks for the comments. I saw a beutuful table made from sweet gum in an old post.

Magicman

:D  The best thing about furniture, etc. made from Sweetgum lumber is that it is from dead trees.  Those are my favorites.

drobertson

It saws out real sweet!  looks great for a bit, then turns ugly when drying, I have heard q-saw it, not really sure this works either, I'd say saw it, and bolt it down, great for trailer decks, very tough stuff, just don't wait.
my humble opinion.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kipper

Here's a thought / question: in the attached picture, if I build a small frame out of say 1.5 in by 1.5 in angle iron with welded corners and supports, then bolt it to one side of this sweetgum, could it reduce the twisting?

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yes it would reduce it a lot I would think. It may try to cup on you if you don't put angle across the center. That's a really nice grained slab!

Kipper

Here are two pieces we (Tee and I) cut on his mill and I found someone to buy them. Like David said it sure does look nice when you saw it..

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Kipper and Tee......good job. Starting to get me to wanting to saw a little SG again. NOT. :D

Kipper

Thanks Poston. I'm thinking the ridged frame bolted to the slab should keep it tight. I looked real hard but couldn't find a concrete truck and baby grand piano to park on top of it so I'm hoping this works!!   :P

May make some twisted flat bar legs for it or hairpin legs.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kipper on November 24, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
Thanks Poston. I'm thinking the ridged frame bolted to the slab should keep it tight. I looked real hard but couldn't find a concrete truck and baby grand piano to park on top of it so I'm hoping this works!!   :P

May make some twisted flat bar legs for it or hairpin legs.

I like the hair pin legs....a little pricey if ya buy them on line but you could probably make your own.......
and me some too.  ;D

mikeb1079

kipper, you may also try ratchet straps.  they're cheap and you can put alot of clamping pressure on something.  just make sure to check the straps every now and then and tighten as needed.  i've not tried this trick yet but am planning to the next time i saw some of the more problematic woods....
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

scsmith42

Quote from: mikeb1079 on November 24, 2013, 09:10:46 PM
kipper, you may also try ratchet straps.  they're cheap and you can put alot of clamping pressure on something.  just make sure to check the straps every now and then and tighten as needed.  i've not tried this trick yet but am planning to the next time i saw some of the more problematic woods....

The rule here is to "put a click a week" on the straps.  Another option is to add 250 lbs / square foot on top of the stack of lumber.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

A concrete truck should do nicely (as long as it is full of concrete  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kipper

Any idea how long to leave it "under wraps"? I am going to store it in my attic over the garage.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Thank You Sponsors!