iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SHOOTOUT

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 19, 2003, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawBilly

splitin atoms!!!!

Dude that's like down to a nuclear level, watch out for explosions...we will have to change your name to:

Ohmama Bin Slabbin  

Larry

Hey this is a lot tougher than it looks.  My lumber scale doesn't have nanometers on it so I had to use my ruler and with my bifocals that is a chore.  First slice was so thin I couldn't see it.  Second slice was doing great at about 2 nanometers but after 4 foot the band broke out.  Third slice came off whole but decided it was time to quit.  I taped a cardboard tree to the backside and with the aid of very bright sun took the picture.  At least I can make the see through category.  No way was I going to take a picture of it with the calipers on it as that would have assured me of last place. :(

Arkie how many times can I try before I have to submit an official entry?
Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DanG

Not bad, Larry. And that's a right purty piece of wood, too. I've got a little work to do on my mill, this weekend, but when I get back in action, I'll show y'all sumpthin. I may not win the overall thinnest title, but I'll bet I can cut the thinnest 4x4 you ever saw. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

EZ

You guys have way to much time on your hands.
EZ

ARKANSAWYER

I have a pile of thin stock in the bedroom and except for the cedar my wife says it has to go.   She says the walnut is stinking.  She has been wondering if we could glue the red oak like wallpaper. My best so far has been 0.032 in white oak.  I guess we can do this for a while.  I see that most are afraid to try.  It is easy for people to talk about how big a log they sawed but when it comes to see how really good it saws they run off.  It looks like the bands are ruleing.  Now we may have to seperate the field by brandname of bandmills.  My WM can shave 0.040 in just about every thing.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

KiwiJake

Arky, keep rattlin' you'll eventually get me out there on the swinger, what happens when I come back and say I've got it down to .025, will it be the saw dust comparison again  ;D just clownin. Bet you I can get the finest, thinnest looking sawdust shaving you'll ever see. Seriously, I'll get around to doin it when I get some time.

ARKANSAWYER

Thats what we need more swingers with godads. :D  I have not seen any big circles trying to out do Jeff.  I can tell you this, do not try in persimmon. :o
ARKASAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

lumberman

Jay Brand here.  (The Brand in Brand X)  I can't resist this one.  Next time I get out of the shop and out at the mill I'll fire it up and make some more business cards.   8)

Jeff

Ron Wenrich knows its no use trying to beat me. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Eggsander

O.K. Arky I gave it another shot with the last log on Sat. I took four slices out of the last piece of the log, each a little smaller.
Here's the whole stack.

Again from the side.

The last one.

I was honestly running out of log and daylight or I would have tried one more. What I was sawing was 7 inches wide out of an 8 foot log. As close as I could tell by checking with my little caliper, they are consistent in thickness over the piece. I know I'm not beating anyone with this, just wanted to show that I was trying.
Wife says, "those are really pretty, what are you going to use them for." I say, "use...ahh...I could...umm...we'll think of something."  :D
Steve

Mtnjack

Hey i thought anything cut under 4 quater was graded as i inch? We should all be rich soon this is value added again and again.

ARKANSAWYER

I am amazed that fewer people tried this.  I can see where all of the lip flapping ends when you have to prove something.  
   I can see where Eggsander kept getting thinner and thinner in his stack. It is not as easy as some may think.  I have several that can be used to set the points in the old farm truck.  It looks like Jeff is the King of circle blades because at least he tried and made a good effort.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

redpowerd

i just read this thread and was fully amazed. last year i had a bunch of friends over to pile logs, they wanted to see how thin i could cut a 4x4, so i cut it. into a 4x3 11/16. while they were gawking at this 'thin' peice of wood. i moved the head down just a touch and got dust along with some paper thin stuff to whip em with.maple. i knew the saw was slightly out of whack, but what the hell, im bulidin an addition to the bus.
this little test proved to be quite the test as to how thin i could cut. never got more than a eighth that day, but it was consistant, and if i didnt have a bunch of boozers around me i know id have done better.
so, gimme some time and hopefully i can impress mabie someone. if im determined, ill go kick around in the snow where the saw used to be and see if i cant trip over the top of the carrage. i know theres a peice of hemlock waitin.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

inspectorwoody

I'd try it with my circle if I had my sh*t together and got to working on the ol' brute  ::) Been lazy  :D

Way to go Jeff!

DanG

This ain't over yet!  I've been stymied by the weather, as have a number of others. I haven't sunk a saw into anything in 3 weeks.  I still say I can produce the world's thinnest 4x4, so y'all just stand by. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SteveS

Here is a pic of the forth board that I ever milled. When I got the mill home and put together, I had to cut something, So I found a hunk of a box elder that fell due to the last ice storm and played around with it. The picture isnt very good, but I would say it was pretty close to a 32nth.

solidwoods

I make these from thin slices of tree.  I cut the log top to bottom or through & through .  The thickness is about 1/8".  Since this one is from a blued log, the log was prety dry to begin with.  I mill it and weave it without any drying, with almost no degrade. This one is Blued SYP.  The frame is wormy antique SYP.  I make them most sizes, and they can be used for everything from Art to suspended ceiling panels.
JIM

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

ARKANSAWYER

I can not believe that some of you guys are using the weather as an excuse for not sawing.   I have had way more snow and ice then you and I have sawn outside every day.  But then I am poor and have not a choice. :(
   Jim has had the best ideal for a use of the thin stock.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

He sure does, I'm thinking of using his idea for the inside of Tammy's new closet! Wish I had some ERC :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

We wove the garden gates like that out of locust, they lasted in that use for about 5 years and are now doing duty as a dirt stop at one side of the garden where I built up the road. Never thought of it for a more finished use, thats neat 8).

Haytrader

Hey Jeff,

I can E-mail you some ERC

:D
Haytrader

Dugsaws

My camera is not the best :D but here is my outcome... sorry I couldnt keep it consistent it went from 1/16 down to 1/32 in Walnut. The thin end the micrometer said between 2 and 3 thousandths and on the thick end it read 5 thousandths.

Doug

Fla._Deadheader

Today we wanted to saw a bunch of logs. Don'tcha know, it's RAINING pretty hard. We DID get to finish the last of the Cedar and got all the adjustments fine tuned. Here's my contribution of what "Homey" can do. It's tough holding the board, dial indicator AND camera, so it's a little fuzzy. Still can make out .038. Not too shabby for a home built, RIGHT ANDY ?? :D :D :D :D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

That only held it from falling over. I still had to hold it with the caliper because it was wilting!! ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ARKANSAWYER

Homey is going a fine job if it can shave at 0.038.  It must be the Porshe engine. ;D  We are still not getting many entrys with this fine weather we have been having.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!