iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has this ever happened to you?

Started by AtLast, March 16, 2004, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

I got a call the other day and was requested by the USFS from Washington DC to participate in a seminar in Ann Arbor Mich. There were 40 people there representing various government departments from the DNR,MDA USFS,and local government. This was about the EAB ( Emerald Ash Borer) Well...the day before this took place it was a BEAUTIFUL day. Not to cold...sunny...good day for milling. Well.....when the day came it was 20 degrees not to mention the wind chill with winds gusting to 30mph..VERY miserable day. So here I am ...all these people standing around to watch me mill an Ash log. I gave my " speech" and commenced to-a-cuttin. I didnt get 18" into this bloody log when all heck broke loose. The log was VERY froooozen....yup...you guessed it...I hit a knot...the blade took a turn north and came to a screeching hault...I tried to back out the blade and...well....I know I know...BIG BIG mistake...POP!!!..off came the blade...demo over...So...me in my quick thinking and with the support of the MDNR....began to explain what happened and why....fortunately MOST of those in attendence were aware of the ups and downs of sawing frozen logs. I made a few jokes ( at my expense) and talked briefly. At this point I suggested we adjourn to their waiting bus where myself and the MDA and MDNR were to speak further . When it came to my turn the folks were MOST reassuring and understanding and actually quite pleased with what I had to say and was doing. I than told them I did it on purpose so they didnt have ta stand in the cold anymore  ;D well....ok...so they bought it...alittle :-[...anyway...of ALL the times for something to go wrong...why is it it happens at the VERY worst time....All in all it went well and a positive response was received.

Tom

Naw, Never happened to me.  I've never been in Anne Arbor. :D

If something is going to go wrong on a sawmill, you can bet that it will happen when there are a lot of people you are trying to impress standing around.   Never when you are alone. I wear a red shirt to help camouflage my red face. :D

EZ

My very first custom sawing job I was nervous as one can get. The owner of the logs was there along with his wife, grand-mother, and son. I loaded the first log, clamp it in place, grab the pull rope to start the motor and on the first pull the rope broke. ;D
EZ

Jeff

AtLast, a few years ago the bank where the boss does his business got a new banker. Ray had him and his wife and two kids come to the sawmill for a tour. The highlight of the tour of course was to come up into my cab to watch some logs sawed. I'm used to visitors and can talk right along while I am sawing. Well, I was about half way through the log I was demonstrating, came back and hit the set button to take a board and started back into the log on the fly when all heck broke lose. Sparks and horrible noises, the saw waving so bad as I backed out that it looked like it was going to fly off. Almost panic behind me from the banker and fam. "Is that supposed to do that??"  Nope.

I had a power supply switch go bad just as I hit the set button. The log bunks kept driving the log forward as I entered the cut bending the saw all over and creating quite a scene. Quite a demo! So I feel for ya. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Huney_Red_Oak

Dear AtLast
  Sorry to hear of your 'problem demo'.  Sounds like the first 18" went ok tho'...:-)    However, I am confidant that they were all impressed with yourself and your company...  Keep up the great work...! ;D    
Loving Trees and others . . .

AtLast

Tom....I'll have ta remember the red shirt thing  :D

Jeff....I know what it sounds like on a bandsaw mill...I cant imagine the horrendious sound THAT musta made...I feel alittle better now.. ;D

EZ....Appreciate share embarassing moments.....maybe we both need ta get red shirts  :)

HRO.....Thanks for the compliment....I guess some inches is better than none... :-[

dewwood

AtLast

Do you happen to know which counties in SE Michigan are quarantined?  I know some right around Detroit are and was wondering how many more are under quarantine.  Does it prohibit moving any logs in or out and can you saw the logs or do they have to be burned?

Thanks for any info you might be able to supply.

Dewey

PS. I am located about seven miles from the Michigan line and about two from the Ohio line in Indiana.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

smwwoody

Dewwood are you around angola??  I come through there about once a month with a load of Cherry veneer on my way to green bay.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

AtLast

dewwood,
If you keyword " michigan department of agriculture" there is  a link there that will explain EVERYTHING about this lil devil. 13 counties in Michigan ( with hot spots in other areas) Its beinning to pop up in parts of Ohio, Ont. Canada, and Maine. The wood MAY NOT be moved outside the quarantine zones. We, LCLTL are working under a complience agreement with the MDA and are able to handle and move this wood by following VERY strict guidelines. PLEASE take the time to visit the MDA web site and read first hand about it.

dewwood

smwwoody,

Yes I am near Angola, actually I-80 runs right through my property about two miles from the Ohio-Indiana border mile marker 155 look to the south and you can see the back side of our buildings and a bunch of little trees planted in several of the fields.  Honk when you go through.

AtLast,

I will check out that site and try to get some information.  I have a couple of publications that I picked up at Logging Congress but they don't tell a whole lot about what you can and cannot do.

Thanks,

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Thank You Sponsors!