iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Is Done... and it's about time.

Started by DR_Buck, February 07, 2006, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Almost a year after buying the DH-4000 from Wood-Mizer, I finally got it up and going.   8) 8) 8) 8)

The kiln chamber is made from an old truck body I bought at an auction.   It came mounted on a trailer frame, which I left on it.  I did remove the tires and put it up on blocks.   

Because it was not insulated I had a lot of work to do to get it ready.   The interior walls were plywood over a 1 inch air gap.  I painted them with silver roof paint to waterproof them.  Then I had to build a raised floor so that I could get it insulated. and clear the wheel wells.   This took about 9 inches off of the height.   I covered the inside walls, floor and ceiling with 2" foam panels covered in poly film. 

The hardest part was replacing the roll-up rear door.  The roll-up just wouldn't work with the air baffles.

This is the outside view of the box.  The side walk-in door was already installed when I bought it.   The small panel is where the controller is mounted.  I didn't want it hanging on the outside of the box.

This is the DH-4000 control box and fan power switches.   It's insulated and waterproofed from both the inside and outside elements.    This is also a shot of my pathetic rear doors.   I may replace them with some tongue-and-groove made doors later.

This is outside looking in.   The lower 4 foot half of the walls is covered with aluminum I salvaged from our old swimming pool.  It protects the foam panels from being bashed by boards.     The raised floor is made from treated tongue-and-groove 2x6's.

This is the air baffles and kiln unit.   Air baffles are plywood and 2x4s holding the fans, with industrial tarps rolled up on 2 inch pvc pipe.   I use pullys and rope to raise and lower them.   In the right photo you can see the insulated box that houses the controller unit.

This is a close-up of the kiln unit and the controller box and a view from the inside looking out.

This is a view behind the air baffles  and looking out from inside with the side door open.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Coon

That is a sweet looking dry kiln.  Nice work. 8)  How many hours of work did it take to build?  How much hirachi ($$$) have you got into the complete project?   

What is the board footage that you can fit into the kiln and how long is it going to take to dry it down? 

Sorry for all of the questions but someday I would like to build myself a kiln.  I was thinkin of something along the lines of what you built but.......  Keep us posted on how well it works and all the little things you would have done different had you known then, what you know now.....

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Troy

Nice job Dr. Buck!  Have you got anything milled for you first charge?  Coon already asked my "how much will it hold" question...  Post some pictures of it when you have it loaded, should be an impressive sight!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

DR_Buck

The 1st load is cooking.   (See my other posting for DH-4000 Help).     

The inside dimensions are 7 1/2 wide, 7 high, 19 long.   It will hold about 2000 bf of 4/4 in a 48" wide stack.    I currently have around 1500 bf of partially air dried oak in it now.

Aside from the kiln unit, the biggest cost was the 2 inch foam board insulation.  The stuff is running over $27 for a 4x8 sheet.  It took 20 sheets to do the whole thing.   The truck box was $300 at an auction.   The treated T&G flooring was salvaged as "seconds' from another job and was free.  The aluminum inside walls were also free, salvaged from the side walls of an old above ground swimming pool.   I guess I have another $250 in miscellaneous stuff like switches, electric wire, circuit breakers and other hardware.    If I had it to do over again I would buy a refrigerator box with hinged doors on the back.

Coon -  I haven't got a clue how much time I have in it.   I spent more time avoiding working on it than I did actually doing the work!   :D

After loading the 1st load, I know I need to build a raised platform off the back end and a cart.    Got to find some wheels first. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

iain

Way to cook them boards, dont forget the exit pics,

is the roll up to drop over the stack and direct air flow?

because it looks mightily familiar, i also use heavy old blankets around the edges, and for any odd shape fill ins

iain

oakiemac

I also built my kiln from a shipping container. It looks a lot like yours except my fans are directly under the compressor unit and they blow over the stack of lumber and then through the lumber and back to the kiln unit. Is the way you have it how Nyle recommended to build? I built mine using Ebacs directions because it used to have a Ebac in the kiln but I switched to Nyle for the large kiln.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

getoverit

Beautiful job on the Kiln !! It has given me some good ideas and suggestions on how I would want to build mine when the time comes.

I dont know what part of the country you are in, but I could use those 30 sheets of OSB, if the price is right and you are within driving distance.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!