iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speaking of goats.

Started by luvmexfood, September 02, 2014, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Didn't want to hijack a thread so thought I would start a new one. Has anyone tried or barbecued a goat. Never have but a lot of people have told me it was good.

Used to be and still may be a slaughter house from northern Pa. that would come down here and buy every goat they could. Had a cattle trailer that you pull behind a ton truck with two levels. Reckon their was a big market for it in NJ and NY.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

I've never tried goat but I really like lamb, around here there are a lot of immigrant workers that will buy up any goat you're willing to sell.  Can't help but think if you picked the right animal (cattle, hogs no different) that it wouldn't be good.

Magicman

When I was growing up we had no deer, but there was a herd of wild goats.  We would go for a nanny without a kid.  Proper dressing and meat handling was important.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Had Texas bar-b-que/smoked goat twice in the last couple of months,  MMM-MMM-good, with beans, cole slaw, corn bread, nanner pudding, and adult beverages.  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

If those billy goats taste like they smell, it would be hard to eat billy goat meat.
smiley_airfreshener
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Southside

Only back in the sandbox, way more of a necessity than by choice, guess it reminds me of the line from Star Wars, that went something along the lines of "smells like $#!^, but it will keep you alive", don't plan to do that again.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

Cabrito, my friends, not an old billy, or at least a young doe.

LeeB

A  young goat slathered up with Italian dressing, wrapped tightly in foil with carrots ,onions, and peppers and sloooowwwww cooked on a pit is mighty good with a few tortillas and fixings.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Quote from: Gary_C on September 03, 2014, 10:37:25 AM
If those billy goats taste like they smell, it would be hard to eat billy goat meat. 
That is why we always picked a dry nanny or a kid.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luvmexfood

When we used to kill our own hogs two things we never did. 1 was to kill a sow that was in heat and the other if you killed a boar that had not been castrated was to immediately cut his oysters off and THROW THEM AWAY.

drobertson

yes young goats are good! better than deer, just my opinion, we raised many, feed them, milked them and butchered them, get over the stigma, it is good meat!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 03, 2014, 02:05:31 PM
That is why we always picked a dry nanny or a kid.

Stop picking on Women and Children.  :)

Magicman

Have you ever smelled "Billy Goat Gruff"??   :o

WDH

Quote from: luvmexfood on September 03, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
1 was to kill a sow that was in heat and the other if you killed a boar that had not been castrated was to immediately cut his oysters off and THROW THEM AWAY.

Both the oysters and the boar  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2014, 09:36:14 PM
Quote from: luvmexfood on September 03, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
1 was to kill a sow that was in heat and the other if you killed a boar that had not been castrated was to immediately cut his oysters off and THROW THEM AWAY.

Both the oysters and the boar  :D :D :D.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WDH

If you have ever eaten a nasty, big, wild boar, hog, with large oysters that were never shucked, you will understand that statement  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Occasionally you get bacon from a boar, and you know it, taste and smell way bad.

sandhills

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2014, 09:42:54 PM
If you have ever eaten a nasty, big, wild boar, hog, with large oysters that were never shucked, you will understand that statement  :-\.
It doesn't have to be a wild one either, I can't hardly stand a sausage pizza anymore I swear all they use is boar meat for the sausage.

luvmexfood

Their is an old saying you are what you eat. I think that is very true for animals. I have harvested some deer that were simply prime and some that were not so good.

At one time, and they still may do it, they made a cattle feed out of chicken manure with some added molasses etc. for cows to eat. Feller down this way fattened a beef on it. Big dummy. All the fat had a blue tint and stunk. Ended up throwing it away.

Now here's a funny. Most everyone knows that beef is usually put in a feed lot and fattened before slaughter and even if you are raising one your self you will usually confine it and feed it some grain. Costs more to do that.

Saw an add the other day for grain fed beef at x price. Then they had an add for "free range beef" which is simply off grass and it was more expensive. Ha.

sandhills

And I'm sure it was completely organic too  ::)

Cutting Edge

The best eatin' goats fit nicely in the crock pot or cast iron skillet.   digin_2   ;)

Better be on your A-game when it comes to the fencing though...  >:(
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

thecfarm

I guess I did not know about the fencing part. I missed that memo.   ;D  We had 7 goats,5 good size ones and 2 small ones.The most we had at one time was three. I never had a problem with them getting out. I used slabs from my mill. I choiced the best ones and the goats must of been happy with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

james

note: if you can throw water thru a fence a goat will go thru it too
:-[ :-[ :-[don't ask me how i know
james

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like a pic of my last family reunion.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!