iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E-Classic 1400 - opinions please

Started by Dean186, August 30, 2009, 07:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean186

Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of a new Central Boiler E-Classic 1400.   It is Central Boiler's new high efficiency, low emissions outdoor wood gasification furnace.   I am looking for some feedback before I make my purchase.  I know that it was just released for sale this year (2009) but I'm still hoping to find someone using this furnace.  Are there any users of this furnace out there?

My understanding is that it features some improvements over the E-Classic 2300.  Such as:

•   LED lighting that illuminates the inside of the firebox and the front and sides of the furnace
•   FireStar Electronic Controller (It is my understanding that the E-Classic 2300 non dual fuel models are now being shipped with this controller, which is similar or same as the E-Classic 2300 Dual Fuel model controller.)
•   Lower operating handle for the bypass door
•   Hinged door for easy ash removal
•   Fire Box has straight sides with two rods hanging down on each side to help feed wood
•   Thicker metal for the fusion combustion chamber (It's my understanding that the E-2300 will be shipped with thicker metal in the fusion combustion chamber)

The E-1400 is smaller than the E-2300 with the firebox about 56% the size of the E-2300. 

Anyway, I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you in advance, Dean

KDEC19

I hear they like nice dry split type wood....
We have a heatmor and it is just great has been burning for a year this month...burns wet wood ,slabs dry wood all round and four feet long and because of the fans it does chips real well also....

no smoke either.....
gonna do it again......

wi woodcutter

I would have to skip that E-Classic. Get a regular central boiler and save your money and head aches. Is it really that much better? It wouldn't be for me.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

rowerwet

some of us live in states where only gasifiers or pellets are legal.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wi woodcutter

Quote from: rowerwet on September 06, 2009, 01:47:43 AM
some of us live in states where only gasifiers or pellets are legal.

I guess that I have never heard of that before, which states? I am surprised that Wisconsin doesn't have that.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

JJ

Maine and Vermont have forced early compliance to EPA 2012 emissions for outdoor wood furnaces, which meens gasification wood stoves which can pass the EPA emission tests.
They did this in Jan 2008.   I wanted central boiler as they are better in construction and have better warrantee, but couldn't get the classic and had to spend extra $2K on e-classic.

The other stove I was looking at was wood doctor, but wood doctor did not get EPA certification on their gasification stove, so I could not install in Maine.

I have been happy with my boiler, but it will not burn green wood.  It doesn't have to be dry, but don't expect to burn trees cut any later than mid summer.

JJ

solidwoods

California is puting enough forest fire smoke in the air to run boilers in all the other states.  And typically twice per yr.
Boiler mfrs need to make an exhaust goes through a water filter for the units.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Dean186

Thanks to everyone for the feedback that was left in this post.  It seems there is no direct experience here with the E-Classic 1400.

I made a trip to my local Central Boiler dealer this week to look at the newly arrived E-Classic 2300 and compared them to the E-Classic 1400.

•   I noticed a redesigned fusion chamber in the E-Classic 2300 as another thread has been discussing.  This appears to be the same fusion chamber as in the E-Classic 1400.

•   A "Fire Star" controller has been added to the non gas E-Classic 2300 model.  This appears to be the same controller as on the E-Classic 1400.

•   A hinged access door for the combustion chamber has replaced the removable door in the E-Classic 2300.  The E-Classic 1400 has a hinged door as well, but a slightly different size and shape combustion area.  Both have firebrick in the bottom of the combustion area.

•   There are now two air control solenoids instead of three on the E-Classic 2300.  There are two air control solenoids on the E-Classic 1400.  The fan appears to be larger on the 2300.

•   The E-Classic 2300 fire box now has two rods hanging down each side like on the E-Classic 1400.  I assume this is for increased air flow and/or wood feed control.

•   The fire brick has been removed from the firebox and I believe the fire box shape has changed on the E-Classic 2300.  The E-Classic 1400 does not have fire brick in the fire box.

The two features that I see on the E-Classic 1400 that are not incorporated into the E-Classic 2300 are:

•   The lever for opening the bypass door in the firebox is easier to use on the E-Classic 1400 and seems to make a better seal when closed.  I didn't find the E-Classic 2300 opening lever to be hard to use though.

•   The E-Classic 1400 has 3 LED outside lights instead of the incandescent light found on the E-Classic 2300. There is a LED light found on each side of the E-Classic 1400 and one built into the side of the door that shines into the firebox when the door is open.

Although the E-Classic 2300 seems like a lot more furnace than the E-Classic 1400 for just another $1,160 dollars before rebates, I purchased the E-Classic 1400.  I believe it will meet my needs better.  However, I will pour a concrete base large enough for the E-Class 2300, just in case I have to feed wood to the E-Classic 1400 more often than twice per day and I need to change it out.

I plan on creating a new post about the E-Classic 1400 after installation and usage.

flapjack23

Just curious, what prices did you find for the 1400 and 2300?

Andy
Stihl MS361

Dean186

Fall of 2009

The E-Classic 1400 was priced at $9,630.00 with a discount of $700.00 off of that price.

The E-Classic 2300 was priced at $10,790.00 with a discount of $925.00 off of that price.

dva

flapjack23

Thanks Dean186, I'm in the beginning planning stages for a barn and hope to use an OWB to heat it and supplement my house. Is it running? Good unit?

Andy
Stihl MS361

rpote

Dean,

Let me know how you do with the EC1400. It took a little time and effort but once the nuances of the EC2300 were understood it actually performed very well for us this past winter. Fired up about a month ago and warmer temps have saved some wood but I ran new ThermoPEX this summer and now see the real benefits. We're doing much better on wood consumption.

Basically, we fill it once per day with dry wood. Not sure why we'd want to burn wet wood since it takes a fair amount of BTUs to drive out moisture. With the new ThermoPEX installed this winter I'm estimating about 8-9 full cords will be enough for winter. Compare that with 1800 gallons of fuel oil and the payback is pretty good on this unit.

Learning how to load wood to prevent bridging (load sideways with front seems to work for me), keeping the ashes down in the reaction chamber, and some monthly cleaning have worked for me. I also use a scraper to peel off the creosote buildup and keep the air holes clear in the bottom of the fire box each time I fill it. Takes me about 10 minutes per day to take care of business with about an hourly each month in burn season to do some PM. Not bad considering the payback. Also, I have some neighbors with regular CB and other older style units and they really smoke up the neighborhood. Regulations or not, I like the difference in smoke cloud intensity after I close the damper and the stack goes clear. Much more neighborly. :D

CBoiler has been quite helpful with my secondary air chamber (eg: reaction chamber/fusion chamber) issue. They sent me the replacement unit with instructions for install. No problems doing it myself and it seems to be working fine.

Keep us updated on your progress with the EC1400. You'll find most of the good folks on this forum are really helpful with answering questions, giving guidance, etc. I think the EClassic has gotten a bad rap because of the growing pains we've been through but I think we're coming out of this. We've all learned a lot by working through some problems with this unit - the EClassic is more complicated that the older technology but I think it's well worth it.

firechief

Hey rpote-
Curious to know if you are using split wood or rounds ?
If split when you say you fill it up once a day, about how many pieces would that be ? I find my self loading up about four times a day.  Not sure if I'm afraid of "overloading" or what if that is even possible.  Thanks

Jim

Dean186

Thanks for all the information rpote. 

It is not up and running yet, not even delivered, but soon.  The installation takes time to accomplish, as most of you know.  Here is an image of the completed pad.  I still have to pull the electric wire and connect the heat exchanger to my boiler. 

I will post my results.

dva

Nice looking pad.

Are you sure you have enough room to get to the reaction chamber and back panels with the side and back brickwork?

rpote

Great pad. Nice style!

I split the wood into small pieces that are about 18-20 inches long and about 4-5 inches in diameter. I bought one of those high wheel carts and about 1.5 cart loads do the trick right now. Will need to increase load when gets colder here in upstate NY.

Make sure you use dry hardwood. :D

Dean186

Thanks for the pad compliments rpote and dave.

I will have enough room even though the manual suggest 6 feet of clearance.  The retaining wall doesn't go up very high on the cleanout side of the furnace.  I will have 38 inches of clearance between the E-Classic 1400 and the 18 inch high wall on the reaction chamber side.  I will have enough room in the back and I could stand on the wall to access the reaction chamber tubes for cleaning, which would save getting a ladder out for cleaning.  Worst case, I can remove a layer of retaining wall on the cleanout side, since the extra layer on that side is there just to match the other side's height.

Dean

dva

Dean, I'm anxious to see a picture of the completed installation. It looks like it will be very attractive.

What sq footage are you heating with the 1400?

Dean186

Dave, Our house is 4,300 sq feet with a two car heated garage.  The basement is 1,300 sq feet of that number, so there is 3,000 sq feet above ground.  Since the kids no longer live here, we have 600 sq feet of that number closed off.  I keep the garage thermostat set at 40 degrees.   The house is modern construction with 4x6 walls and only one small area of the house has a vaulted ceiling.  There are lots of windows, which is the big item for heat loss.

So, a shorter answer is:  95% of the time we will be heating 2,400 sq feet and the other 5% we will be heating 4,300 sq feet.

Dean

jj7218

New to forum. I would like to thank all of the users of this forum and others like it. I ordered a e classic 1400 in July and found this forum in August. I did not feel real confident in my purchase after reading many posts on the e classics. The install was not easy for me but its done. I have been problem free so far and very pleased. I have a 2600 sq ft home that up to now was costing me $4800/yr to heat with propane and we were not comfortable. Now i walk around the house in shorts and a t shirt for the price of  2 armfulls of wood a day. It has been a mild fall in central New York. I have only had one real problem if you want to call it that. My wife left the bypass open overnight when I was out of town. I tested the water and everything is fine and water level itself didnt budge. Now that the colder weather is finally here my e classic seems to run even better than before. I have been running it since the 2nd weekend in October. It was great reading all the post on the e classics prior to operating the unit. I knew what to look for before problems popped up. This whole project could have been a real disaster without the tips from all you great folks. Thanks

dva

Welcome JJ7218

Keep us posted on your experiences with the boiler.

Happy holidays
Dave

TimNichols

For what it's worth, I had my E-Classic 1400 installed just a little over a week ago.  We're still on our honeymoon but I'm in love with it at this point.  Once the coal bed is established I get very little smoke as long as I'm using well-seasoned wood.  My house is about 2,300 square feet and over 200 years old (some drafts) and I'm satisfied that it will keep us warm.  Temperatures have been in the 20s and lower lately and we've kept the temperature at about 70 most of the time.  Loading it up in the morning and evening is good enough.
I'm burning mostly oak, but I have a huge stack of black walnut from some trees I cut last winter.  I'm burning the black walnut mostly when I'm going to be around because it seems to burn up faster, but still keeps the boiler up to temperature.  I've also found that I can get away with some huge logs as long as there's a nice bed of coals and I put down a layer of smaller logs on the coals and around the big log.  I haven't put more than one big log in at a time.  Even with all smaller-diameter logs I get some bridging, but I've never let it go long enough to see if the pile will fall in.  Instead, I just knock it down (always easily done) and pile in some more wood.
Oh.  Do heed the warnings about standing back when you first open the door.  I was eager to check the coals one day so I opened the bypass, opened the door to the firebox and got a nice singe job on my face and hair.  I wasn't injured and I don't mean to suggest that this is a flaw, because the warnings are clear in the literature, but the warnings are there for a reason.  It does happen, so standing back behind the door for a second when you open is a good standard practice.
I'll check back from time to time to see what others report about their E-Classics.

jj7218

Tim, I have yet to have any real problem with logs hanging up. They do fall if you leave them. I have had a problem with a thick liquid creosote low in the fire box. I am also burning mostly oak and some ash. It is about a year old but I wonder if it still is holding moisture. Something else to watch is when you have the door open for long periods of time in the rain or snow. You get a rock hard ball of ash (tar like). I bent a hoe trying to get this out. After cleaning out the firebox and getting some colder weather the extreme heat made it brittle. I now use a sidewalk scraper daily before loading just to loosen everything up. The lower air holes in the firebox crust over very easy. I like to let the fire burn down every few days
so I can realy get at them. The units burns much nicer when those holes are clear (less smoke). I think most of that was the fire was idling so much in the warmer temps. Now that it is getting good and cold the units cleans itself.

Guitarjunkie37

Just installed a 1400 about 30 days ago and everything is working great.  They are runing a great deal on them here and I got $1000 dollar instant rebate off the stove and it qualifys for the 1500 tax rebate. After rebate and tax credit the stove cost $7200 plus the install.

Thank You Sponsors!