iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which air filter for a Predator 420cc engine

Started by Helipackmech, October 14, 2017, 07:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helipackmech

For those of you running the Predator 420cc engine, what air filter are you running? I have the stock square foam one right now. I want to buy a few spare filters so I can change them out as I'm sawing. I was thinking of getting some paper filters but then I see you can convert over to a round stock style. Or should I just stick with the oiled foam style? I don't think I really want to switch over to a k&n style. I did a search but didn't come up with anything.
This is a hobby mill and not a production mill.
Thanks in advance!

Coltbodi

I don't know anything about these engines, but I do know that oiled foam filters are great for keeping out dust. That's the type of filters you run a dirtbike that is always running in the dust. The filter should last a while, especially on a hobby mill. So you shouldn't need to change it very often. I tried to look up the filter for those motors to get and idea of what you have and all I could pull up a performance upgrade filter which was a paper filter. If it was me I think I would keep the oiled foam just because they work so well with dust.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

bandmiller2

HPM, your not cutting commercially and oil damp foam is efficient why mess with success. If you can find several foam filters keep some clean and replace often. I don't think the difference in engine longevity due to air cleaners will amount to a row of peas. After break in I would use synthetic oil and add a small amount of two cycle mix to the gas as air cooled engines run hot and dry in the head. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Helipackmech

Thanks for your advise guys1 This is kind of what I was thinking as well. I tend to over think things  sometimes though! 

Coltbodi

Does it have a pre-filter around it? Those are very cheap and extend the life of of your filter
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Helipackmech

No, right now it has just a square piece of foam 4 7/8" x 5 1/4" x 7/8"

Thank You Sponsors!