iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge California Trees

Started by Junior437t, December 10, 2005, 11:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior437t

I am probably going to be going to San Diego CA on the 18th for 4 or 5 days. How far south do the big trees grow in California? Are they within a decent driving distance to San Diego (maybe 200 miles)? Thanks.

beenthere

Redwoods I believe are along the coast but north of San Fran.

Sequoias are on the eastern side of the valley, and in the Yosemite Park area.  That's if I remember right and don't look it up.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

Coastal Redwoods (tallest, moist climes) north of San Fran, to Oregon. Seirra Redwoods(greatest trunk dia. and greatest volume, but shorter,drier climes) in the east side of the Central Valley as stated, I believe near Yosemite area. YOU GOTTA GO, WOW. For Coastals we loved the Humbolt Park (Eureka, Fortuna area). One camp ground in the park you are right in there among them. Also a must see, is the PALCO Lumber Museum near Scotia, Fortuna. Check out the museum before the forest, and witness the 1964 flood damage and film footage. WWWOWWWW :o

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dan_Shade

San Diego has a lot of shrubs and palm trees!

the weather will be a nice change from the weather on this side of the country, though.  :)

last time I went to san diego was a bit over a year ago.  I had been there 3 times in the past year, and I DID NOT want to go this time, I was gonna be there three weeks.  I flew out of national at 6:45am or so, with temps of about 15 degrees, i walked out of san diego's airport, and it was 75 degrees.  Talk about an attitude changer!

If you have time, check out the zoo and the wild animal park, they're both a great way to spend a day.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

solodan

Sequoias??? Absolutly, none in the Central Valley, they are in the Sierra. The closest Sequoia groves will be more like 300+ miles, but if you have never seen a Giant Sequoia, you really should make the drive. Sequoia National Park has the closest groves to San Diego. Though I have never been to the groves in Sequoia N.P. , I hear that they are the best.  I live between the groves in Yosemite and Big Trees. I often visit the groves in Big Trees. I have stood next to these trees hundreds of times, and still, am just in awe everytime. You can take a picture and try to explain them all you want to someone, but you will never get it until you're there. All I can say is, do yourself a favor and go see these giants, no matter how far you have to travel. Coastal redwoods, on the other hand, grow from about 200 miles south of San Francisco into Josephine County Oregon , so still about 300 miles from SanDiego to the closesest ones. These trees are tall, real tall, but in my book, because they grow in such large groves, you don't get to appreciate these until you see a really tall one from afar.  Still, a must see. If I could suggest one drive in California, it would be hwy 1 along the coast from Pismo to the Oregon boarder. about 800 miles, but will change what one thinks about California.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

solodan

sawguy21

I drove part of the old coastal highway south of Eureka. It was twilight on the ground even on a bright afternoon. What solodan said. Seeing is believing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jgoodhart

Take lots of pictures for the rest of us :'(

Cedarman

You just gotta go see the trees.  If they are not one of the most awe inspiring sites on earth, then you can't be inspired.  I have canoed through Canyonlands National Park which has its own unique beauty, but the trees are worth driving across country to see.

The difference is like seeing a picture of the trees or being there to seeing a picture of a beautiful woman or holding and kissing her.

Have a great trip.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jrdwyer

I had the pleasure to live in northern California for a year and travelled whenever I could to see the beauty.

If you don't have time to make it to the big groves of coast redwood up north, then definitely take HWY 1 up to Monterey. There are beautiful state parks right along the coast where streams and rivers empty into the ocean. The hillsides in this area are mostly brush, but tucked in these valleys are big redwoods.  Awesome!

populus

While you're in San Diego, you should also go see one of the rarest trees in the world - Torrey Pine, in Torrey Pine State Park on the north side of San Diego.  Well worth seeing. This species has such a small range that you can see every tree in an afternoon (two stands; there is a subspecies out on Santa Cruz Island that would take some effort to get to).

Thank You Sponsors!