iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at 785 New Holland skidsteer

Started by Ironwood, June 27, 2006, 12:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Anyone out there running one of these? I am looking at one for general use around our acreage. He bought it new in, he thinks 1989. It has 3500 hours. Forks and bucket.  New water pump, fuel  pump on the Perkins diesel (non turbo). It looks well greased and maintained in terms of filters and lube but has been outside alot as the guy uses it in his RXR tie business moving tens of thousands of ties. He is older and needs a newer machine that will require less wrenching ( I drove the new Cat he demoed, thing must cost $40G's). How well does it lift? What is the HP? And is this something I should avoid?

:P Thanks Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ronwood

Reid,

I have a New Holland LX885 that I like real well. I has a 3 cyclinder  Ford diesel engine that has plenty of power ( 60 Hp). Mine is a 1998 that I got for a pretty good price. it has a longer wheel base that some of the others and it seems to lift quit a bit. Been real happy with it. I don't know much about the 785.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

ohsoloco

I'm running the same machine as ronwood...it's real nice to operate.  The 885 is rated at 2200 lbs, but it maxes out around 3500.  The 785 should also be a two speed, a nice feature if the ground isn't too rough  :D

stumpy

I have it's smaller brother the L555 deluxe.  Mine only lifts 1700# but it's a great machine. What is he asking for it?

One thing to look for is weather the quick attach on the front is the new style. I believe it isn't, which means you can only use NH attachments. You can however buy a new quick attach plate for it so you can use all brands of attachments.. I bought one for mine and it cost about $600.  I then modified my old style NH bucket to fit.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

stumpy

I have it's smaller brother the L555 deluxe.  Mine only lifts 1700# but it's a great machine. What is he asking for it?

One thing to look for is weather the quick attach on the front is the new style. I believe it isn't, which means you can only use NH attachments. You can however buy a new quick attach plate for it so you can use all brands of attachments.. I bought one for mine and it cost about $600.  I then modified my old style NH bucket to fit.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

nyforester

I had a new holland tire machine. It was very powerful and I liked it. The only problem is it would get stuck and had limited traction off the pavement. I bought a Bobcat T190 with rubber tracks. I find it blows the tire machine away. Traction is incredible and it goes just about anywhere. I have forks, bucket and a 6 way dozer blade. The little machine can push !!

getoverit

I'm real happy with my NH 785. It lifts most everything I want it to, and because of the longer wheel base it isnt as rough riding as some skidsteers. I have no idea what year mine is and I only have forks for it. It is a tool I cant do without.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Rancher

I have both a NH L555 and a 784 (gas, 6 cyl). I like them both in their own ways. Either one move logs for my mill. The little 555 gets in a few places better but the 784 handles the rough ground in the timber better.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Thank You Sponsors!