iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK guys, da Doctor ordered further test, rendered a diagnosis, and recommended the proper treatment.  We will have this topic on a yearly basis so keep your "cards and letters" coming.  :)

Seen above is the load of ERC logs that began the original topic so it is fitting that it continue to be an introduction for this and future topics.  

OK, so Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Snowflakes! Easy to saw but hard to stack. Somebody find that lying groundhog and lets start us a food topic. I bet he'd be good with a side of grits.

I drove over yesterday to buy some used roofing metal advertised in a local trader paper for use in air drying my lumber and slabs. Called ahead to confirm still available and set up a time, offered to come early but lady said finish my other running around then just come pick it up.  Drove 25 miles over then when called to let her know I would be there in a couple more minutes she called back and said they had sold it. Did not seem to care she'd just cost me nearly 2 hours and 50 miles. Oh well, that's people for you. Okay enough venting. 

I sure do like the looks of that load of cedar logs. Hard to find anything close to that around here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodpecker52

Congrats on the return of the best post.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

mtoo747

Glad to see this thread back up. I would check the old one every time i came to the board. Always something of interest! 

E-Tex

Welcome Back "Whatcha Sawin'....2019"

Here's my first entry.  4500# pecan from yesterday:

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

stihltoomany

Is it possible to reference the Old whatcha sawin thread and if so how
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Crossroads

Have to admit that I was a little out of sorts the last couple days. I'm definitely a creature of habit lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

I've been stuck in bed with a bad case of vertigo....if I tried to saw, it would be in circles!  :D

Glad to see this Whatcha Sawin' version 2.0.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

E-Tex, that Pecan "Devil" will either warm your heart, smiley_gorgeous  or break your heart,  smiley_devil  and she decides which.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Wow - I had a horrible nightmare that Magicman broke the internet and almost crashed the Forestry Forum due to this incredibly successful thread. At the end of the dream MM was driving away with his sawmill in tow and Jeff stood there and in his Kirk Douglas voice said "He's the man from Snowy River who broke the internet".  :D

So I came here and saw the famous picture and all was well again. Wait - the title is different.... :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

randy d

Very pleased I really enjoyed checking in to see what was happening. As for my sawing not going to happen soon there is 4' of snow that will have to go away before I can get to the log pile. Luckily the weather guessers are calling for a warm up next week. Randy Thanks

terrifictimbersllc

Snow and mud have scared off a few faint hearted customers in the last two weeks. Their  business isn't going elsewhere but nevertheless it is inconvenient to say the least. But tomorrow's cancellation was followed by another call today from a repeat  commercial customer with an urgent request, so I am going out to re-saw some beams. Two hours of driving, two hours of work, and get paid for five hours minimum charge plus mileage, So win-win all the way around.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

E-Tex

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 08, 2019, 04:11:55 PM
Snow and mud have scared off a few faint hearted customers in the last two weeks. Their  business isn't going elsewhere but nevertheless it is inconvenient to say the least. But tomorrow's cancellation was followed by another call today from a repeat  commercial customer with an urgent request, so I am going out to re-saw some beams. Two hours of driving, two hours of work, and get paid for five hours minimum charge plus mileage, So win-win all the way around.
8)  Yesiree!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

123maxbars

I sawed up some Apple today, A friend brought it over to saw, it was a small one about 48in long but made for some nice 1x9 boards. We usually don't get apple big enough to saw but this one was a pleasure to open up. Under it is a nice 5/4 walnut I sawed up before the apple, I took a pic of the apple on top of the walnut intentionally so I can continue my torment
of WDH   ;D ;D

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

He is continuously twisted and tormented.  ;D

AZ_builder

Yes!!! I get to read this one from the beginning. I tried to catch up with the last one but got lost in the pages.

Crossroads

Enough snow has melted that I can take care of a small job tomorrow morning. Will be slabbing a 16' pine log for a bar top. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WLC

Hopefully beginning sometime next week I'll be able to take the tractor and dig out the sawmill from underneath our winters worth of snow.  Might actually be able to get back to sawing something soonish.  Have a bunch of beetle killed spruce to get out of the woods and get cut before it goes to waste and need to cut a good bit more birch for flooring and trim.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

GullyBog

The first "log" of 2019 wasn't one to write home about but I had start somewhere.

One hour of sawing, although most of that was maintenance yielded 12 board feet.

This sassafras stick was a bonus that came with 9 cherry logs.  I plan to make a box as a gift for the nice woman who offered me her trees.  The best part is that a professional tree service dropped them and skillfully loaded them into the back of my pickup.  The tree had a tiny hollow pith and I think this was beneficial.  It was very dry for having been cut this winter.  It laid around for 2 months without end-sealing and didn't check.  The wood has been fairly stable in spite of the wandering grain.  It will be a good warm up for the cherry logs, half of those have a similar form and that is typical for most of the cherry in these parts.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

tule peak timber

keep the loads coming in.....

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Farm29

Finished cutting a Doug fir log today or at least I believe it's Doug fir it's not a species I am use to a guy I've cut for gave me a load of stuff he picked up from somewhere not around here it was free logs so I wasn't picky it's amazing what one log can produce!  

M

Hard to see but the pith was way off center on one end not the other 

Finished in the rain this morn with a nice stack of lumber 

96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

doc henderson

MM that is some great ERC and I hope you are feeling better. :laugh:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: E-Tex on March 08, 2019, 04:25:05 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 08, 2019, 04:11:55 PM
Snow and mud have scared off a few faint hearted customers in the last two weeks. Their  business isn't going elsewhere but nevertheless it is inconvenient to say the least. But tomorrow's cancellation was followed by another call today from a repeat  commercial customer with an urgent request, so I am going out to re-saw some beams. Two hours of driving, two hours of work, and get paid for five hours minimum charge plus mileage, So win-win all the way around.
8)  Yesiree!
1 hr there, work 3 hr, 1 hr back.  

Five 100-200 yr old white oak beams cut up so the customer could complete an order of antique flooring.  Went into his kiln as I was packing up.  Here's me with the last board, a 2x12 cut from the short end of a beam.  

Wife came along and took a walk through downtown New Haven while I was sawing. I clamped the board hard so he couldn't take it away before I got a picture.

That's glaciation on the ground behind me.  

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Thanks, the fever and chills have subsided and I am now on solid food again.  I never knew that withdrawals would have that affect.  I wonder whether the "2019" version is what did the trick??  ;D

Good stuff Dennis.  smiley_thumbsup  The lumber, not the glaciation.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!