iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) skidder

Started by pineywoods, February 11, 2007, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Here is my new to me tracked skidder. It's a chinese knock-off of lord knows what, no idea how old it is. 30 hp diesel, 6 way blade and most unusal for a dozer, a 3 point hitch and pto. which means I can add a winch without taking out a mortgage.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jph

Looks as nice machine and not too big. I have been scared of buying Chinese  for fear of quality and availability of parts. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Coon

Cool looking little skidder.  Hope it works good for you.  What is the brand name of that unit???
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

pineywoods

Can't find an ID plate of any kind, nor any evidence of one ever being attached. The name on the side says Power Track PT400. Did get a primitive set of manuals with it. Manual says Guilin forestry Machinery Works, peoples republic of china. I strongly suspect this is the same machine that was imported under the name Rhino. It's definitely gray market, parts may be a problem, but I got it very cheap. As you can see, the seat is completely rotted, but just about everything else is almost  like new. the hour meter shows 91 hours.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

BigTrev

What an awesome score, looks like it will serve you well for a very long time to come. I wouldn't worry about the CN manufacture too much, near everything you see now is made there.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Brian_Rhoad

That dozer looks similar to the one sold by northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. I have one made in China called a Bulldog. It is imported by a company in New York. I have a Farmi winch on mine. It will skid a good load for its size. I brought in a Poplar tree that was 28" on the big end and over 80' long. Parts are available and reasonable. Brake bands for my machine are $17 each. A complete steel track set up is around $2000 for both sides.

Willysnut

Pineywoods do you still have your PT400 crawler. I bought mine back in 96. I have abused it something terrible.

pineywoods

Quote from: Willysnut on August 09, 2012, 12:10:51 AM
Pineywoods do you still have your PT400 crawler. I bought mine back in 96. I have abused it something terrible.

Yep, I still have it. Haven't used it much lately. The hydraulics are real slow and I'm afraid I'm going to have to rebuild the hydraulic pump. definitely ain't looking forward to that...

logman81

I had the same dozer a few years ago. Very hady, had my winch on it an was slow but could pull a good hitch for it's size. I bought mine new from a dealer in ct.
Precision Firewood & Logging

lumberjack48

Put a winch with a arch on that cat you'll be set. Get a rebuild kit for the pump, I've rebuild them on the job, basically simple.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

nice machine, perfect size machine.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Willysnut

Hi, Pineywood what type/kind of fluid do you use in your clutch?
I have been using some stuff that was recommended to me and I have been having problems with siezed thrust bearing and pressure plates ever since; and I thought the problem was the system pressure to the shuttle shift being to high, now I'm not sure, maybe I'm using the wrong lube oil.

Holmes

I had a Zetor tractor with a magnetic filter on, for, the tranny and the hydraulics ran off of the tranny fluid. When the hydraulics worked slow I had to clean the magnetic filter, then they would work much quicker.   Just a thought...
Think like a farmer.

toyo03

I have one just like this. Where did you get yours from?  Considering it's Chinese made, where would you get parts when you need to repair it?

I have a xerox copy of the operators manual only that says Guilin Forestry Machine Works.

Brian_Rhoad

Here's a website that is all about the Chinese tractors.

http://ctoa.net/index.php

thecfarm

toyo03,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberlinetree

Nice and it's great that it has the 3 PTH hitch 8)!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

pineywoods

Toyo03, Welcome to the forestryforum. I bought my dozer from a local individual who had left it in a repair shop for over a year. It wouldn't back up and wouldn't turn left, motor ran good. No left turn was a seized steering brake band, no reverse was a problem with the hydraulic reverser. I have probably put 50 hours or so on it, have had a few problems. What parts I have needed came from www.farmboystractors.com, located in Kingsport Tn. Most of my problems can be traced to very poor quality control during assembly. Currently it's down with hydraulic problems, most likely the pump.

luvmexfood

Quote from: pineywoods on February 11, 2007, 03:20:39 PM
Here is my new to me tracked skidder. It's a chinese knock-off of lord knows what, no idea how old it is. 30 hp diesel, 6 way blade and most unusal for a dozer, a 3 point hitch and pto. which means I can add a winch without taking out a mortgage.

Looks like a versatile machine. I would like to have something similar for logging and bushhoggin on steep ground or where you were prone to bust a tire.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!