Logrite gets a new toy (I mean machine)

Started by Tam-i-am, March 15, 2017, 07:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

We ordered our cnc plasma cutter table last year and have been waiting patiently for its arrival.   

We were lucky to take delivery just before storm Eugene.

In order to get it through the door we had to disassemble, as it was a tad bigger than the door.

We still have to wait for the install. So just a little longer before we can use it.

This machine will allow us to cut our own hooks.  And do some clever things with the legs.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

This should be interesting.  I thought you would have had that a long time ago!  So, if you start cutting your own hooks for the Logrites, you will still be sending them out for plating?  Or will you be using stainless steel :o ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tam-i-am

Ljohnsaw  - I think people's idea of how big we are and the reality of that are very different.  We had to a-have the money and
b-the ability to keep the machine in use to justify the cost.

Well that time has come. 

Oh, and we will still be send out for heat treating and then plating.  We still want to support other local businesses.   ;)

Tam-i-am

thecfarm

stop teasing me!  I have been trying to get you to come to Connecticut for a long time!!!

I'll make brownies.

Tammy

thecfarm

I know,I know. I will meet up with Kevin in Bangor this year. Or I suppose he will be there??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tam-i-am

Yes, Kevin will be in OESCO's booth this year.  Another show I am not going to as someone has to run the homestead and of course the business. ;D

TreesLogan

Brownies?! how do I get in on this road trip. That looks like an amazing machine thumbs-up I was not aware that the hooks were plasma cut though i suppose that makes sense. You say you are not large but I would say being able to get that machine into production puts you light years ahead of me. Are you going to manufacture any other equipment or just hooks and legs? If it wasnt such an expensive toy I might be tempted to try some expirements out  You guys can take the big stuff and leave the little things to the small guys like me  8)
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

Tam-i-am

TreesLogan - welcome to the Forestry forum!

Up until now we would farm out the cutting of our hooks.  They have been laser cut and plasma cut depending on the vendor.
We manufacture all of our logging tools and arches right here in CT.  The things we still can't do ourselves is heat treat and powder coat.  Honestly, I don't think we will ever get big enough to do either of those. ;D

At the moment we have 4 welders and one other person working in the shop, two people in shipping and receiving, two people in the office, a part time IT, chemist, CNC operator and of course Kevin who does a little of everything including driving the truck.  So we are only 10.5 positions here.  So see we really are small.

pineywoods

powder coat is easy, find yourself an old pizza oven an the hv power supply out of old crt type tv...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

That'd be quite the pizza oven if you could park multiple arches and racks of 60 inch tools in it!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tam-i-am

The powder coater I use has an automated line that takes the hanging items through wash, dry, spray and oven.  The whole thing would take up half of my space!

TreesLogan

Quote from: pineywoods on May 04, 2017, 12:21:26 PM
powder coat is easy, find yourself an old pizza oven an the hv power supply out of old crt type tv...

I have seen some big pizza ovens but not big enough to powder coat. What were you powder coating in a pizza oven?
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

pineywoods

Quote from: TreesLogan on May 19, 2017, 10:02:03 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on May 04, 2017, 12:21:26 PM

I have seen some big pizza ovens but not big enough to powder coat. What were you powder coating in a pizza oven?

body parts off a 64 mustang..Biggest DanG pizza oven I ever seen..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

We never did get to see pictures of this topic's subject; the cnc plasma cutter table set up and running.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Yes can we see some pics
Was my hook on my extreme peavy cut with the new tool ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tam-i-am

Bruno - I don't think so.

Here is a video of the machine running.  The come out so nice and smooth.

https://youtu.be/RkPZZf7GUc0

capt dick

This is my plasma table ,Powder coat oven and spray booth. Table is home made.

Tam-i-am

after we burn out the hooks we are left with these skeletons.  I think they are cool looking and would like to use them some how but haven't thought of anything yet.

Crusarius

Office dividing walls.

Add dark curtain to back side for welding curtains.

Line sidewalk with them.

Lots of ideas :)

Tam-i-am

I have a guy who wants to lay them on his gravel driveway to help keep stones in place.  Not sure that's going to work.

Crusarius - I thought they would make a nice divider too.  Great minds must think a like.  ;D

Crusarius

I have never seen a plasma cut sheet that clean. Very nice. Maybe I need to start using higher grade steel with my plasma?

Ljohnsaw

Those hooks hanging on the blue bin are right off the cutter?  No grinding?  WOW!

So did you take a bunch of cut hooks and lay them out various ways to determine what the most you could get out of a sheet?  Just wondering if you could arrange them like a stack of nested spoons only leaning over a bit.  Maybe like:
JJJJJJJJJJJJ
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tam-i-am

Crusarius - those hooks have been plated.  If you have a hook from when we had someone else cut them, there is a divot where the machine starts and stops the cut.  Not any more though!! They come off our machine nice and smooth.

ljohnsaw - we use a program to figure out the best pattern for maximum yield

Crusarius

Amazing what happens when you use the correct lead in and lead out :)

thecfarm

John Mc

Quote from: Tamiam on June 20, 2017, 03:17:27 PM
I have a guy who wants to lay them on his gravel driveway to help keep stones in place.  Not sure that's going to work.

Hmmm... it just might make a good erosion control device - as long as you can keep the water from digging under the outside edge
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bucknwfl

It could be the next camo pattern, part of a new table /  leg design.  Hmmm

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

DeerMeadowFarm

I know off-road DIY-ers are always buying gussets, tow hook mounts, etc. for their projects. Seems like you could cut dozens out of the areas between the hooks. Tons of them on e-bay:

PLEASE READ POSTING RULES! EBAY AND CRAIGSLIST LINKS NOT ALLOWED!!
How thick is the material?

Tam-i-am

moosehunter

It would make a cool fence /gate at the end of the Logrite driveway.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Tamiam on June 23, 2017, 03:22:59 PM
DeerMeadowFarm

3/8"

I'd make a bunch of gussets, cylinder mounts, Chain key-hole slots etc. and sell them to DIY's. Just Google those or look on e-bay for the links I'm not allowed to post. If the machine is running anyway why not cuts stuff out of the scrap to sell?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on June 26, 2017, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: Tamiam on June 23, 2017, 03:22:59 PM
DeerMeadowFarm

3/8"

I'd make a bunch of gussets, cylinder mounts, Chain key-hole slots etc. and sell them to DIY's. Just Google those or look on e-bay for the links I'm not allowed to post. If the machine is running anyway why not cuts stuff out of the scrap to sell?
If you made keyhole plates with Logrite logos on them, I'd buy some! :)
John Sawicky

Tam-i-am

I think the material is too thick for keyhole plates but thanks for the suggestion.

If you just want my logo we have nice wall mount bottle openers.  :D :D :D :D
https://logrite.com/store/Item/bottle-opener

AnthonyW

Quote from: Tamiam on July 07, 2017, 10:22:07 AM
I think the material is too thick for keyhole plates but thanks for the suggestion.

I was expecting the bottle opener to look like a cant hook. Nice Logrite logo on them, though.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Tam-i-am

Raider Bill

Quote from: Tamiam on July 07, 2017, 10:22:07 AM

I have been unable to wear my LogRite bottle opener out but I keep trying.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mike_belben

Just FYI, smith and wesson in spfld does outside forging and die sinking, heat treat, plating, black oxide and maybe powder coating. Possibly also wire edm and cnc work for outsiders.  I was there a decade and my father and brother still are so if you have any interest in contacts there just hollar and i can get names and numbers.  

From other shops in springfield i also know independant die shop, 2 cnc shops, a cutter grinder and one water jet/knife sharpening shop.  Got another buddy at hypertherm if its of any help.  

Those scraps between your nested parts are absolutely perfect for the thing weve been talking about.  Or cut out stars and half moons etc to make windchimes and such.  Put up random artsy shapes on etsy and they will sell to the craft crowd. 

The leftover sheets should get painted and sold for industrial art, think andy warhol soup prints.  Charles Brush at indian orchard mills is the first guy who comes to mind for finding someone.  His 500,000SF mill is half machinists, half artists/photographers and a few art deco/industrial/furniture resto folks. He is the northeast epicenter of manufacturing meets art.  34-40 front street in springfield (indian orchard) mass.  Its where my shop was. 
Praise The Lord