iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 088 vs. Husqvarna 3120xp for milling

Started by Danny_S, March 06, 2004, 02:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

I am buying a saw this week and depending on price and warranty, I will choose between the two. My preference leans toward husqvarna but lets poll the group.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

PatrickG

Hey, I coulda been told wrong but the way I got it is that Stihl has 90 day warranty (on pro saws) and Husky has a year for non-commercial use.  Eight times as long for essentially the equivalent saw.  Is there a dimes worth of difference between them, except warranty?

:)  Pat   :)

Stan

My trees and mill are pretty small so I'm usin' an 066. It gets the job done, maybe takes too long for professional work, but mine is hobby type.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Danny_S

I have heard it all,... My local Stihl Dealer offered me 1 year. Husqvarna dealer said 90 days because my hobby mill would be commercial use. I thought that was crap, but anyways, summit tools in B.C. advertises 2 years on their husqvarna's.  So what's up with that? ???  I only lean toward the husqvarna because of it's adjustable oiler and I have a husky now for a firewood saw, but I wouldn't think twice about getting a Stihl if price and warranty works out.

KDEC19

i PURCHASED A NEW STIHL 088 ON EBAY FROM CANADA.  TOOK ABOUT A WEEK TO GET AND THE SELLER IS VERY TRUSTWORTHY.  GOT THE SAW THIRYTSIX INCH BAR AND 25FEET OF 404 CHAIN FOR 1200.  GREAT SAVINGS FROM THE 1700 AND CHANGE THE LOCAL DEALERS WANT FOR THE SAW.  AS FOR THE WAREENTY THE 064 FROM THE EIGHTIES AS FOR ALL MY OTHER SAWS WE HAVE NEVER NEEDED TO USE THE WARRENTY.  BY THE WAY THE SAW IS EASY TO START,  RUNS SMOOTH.  LARGE BUT MANAGEABLE.  HOPE THIS HELPS.
gonna do it again......

redpowerd

i think id go for, before anything else, capital letters :D

im wondering why the two mfgs. dont have the same warranty? their prices are so alike, as is their rep. whats the warranty on a dolmar or solo?

the poll should go on to include 'other' makes, by name.
jonsred dolmar ect
sways us away from the stihl/husky war, and tells folks theres other folks willin to be millin with somethin different.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

PatrickG

Quotei PURCHASED A NEW STIHL 088 ON EBAY FROM CANADA.  

The Info source I read was http://www.chainsawsforsawmills.com/  , I think, or a link from there.  Anyway they said that Stihl imported to US from Canada has NO WARRANTY.  This is a Canadian source who has an arrangement to discounted saws.  He said nothing bad about Stihl and gives a recommendation of what Stihl model to use with his mill but notes that as of (I think I recalll) 2002 there is NO WARANTY for Canada to US imported Stihl saws.

OOPS... the Husky warranty was two years, ot one year.  With essentially equivalent saws, why not go for 8 times the warranty, 90 days vs 2 years?

A two year Husky warranty sounds great!

Oregon_Rob

I don't think the husky has the side chain tensioner :P
Not the only thing to base your decision on, but it's worth thinking about.
Which husky do you have for a fire wood saw? could you swap bars if you bought the 3120?
Chainsaw Nerd

Danny_S

I only have a Husqvarna 345 for a saw right now. It is small but is light and works well. I guess I didnt include other makes just because I only have the two dealerships near me. I would think that the warranty should be the same all across canada though, British Columbia = 2 years, New Brunswick = 90 days?? go figure.

Wes

I never looked at the warranty, I just went out and bought mine,[3120] I also use stihl's. Both good saws, I just like the color of the husky's better  ;D.

I havent had a problem with mine yet, I had to buy that to replace my [2101] after the power head fried. But if I had to do it again I would look for a large saw with a side chain tensioner, that would make it alot easyer to adjust when the alaskin mill is attached. Where is the tensioner on the 088 ?

Danny_S

I'm not sure where the tensioner is on the 3120, to be honest, I have never seen one as my dealer don't stock any because they only sell about two a year here in N.B. If someone knows, please tell me. I dont know about the stihl tensioner either..

I think I will go with the husqvarna, I got a darn good quote, with 37" bar and ripping chain, shipping included. From one side of Canada to the other is still cheaper than my dealer a half hour away.

Kevin

The tensioner on the 3120 is not on the side as far as I know.
It might be on the outside (brake housing) at the front though instead of on the inside at the front.
They might be putting it on the side, it would be worth asking about.
Side tensioning for the Alaskan mill is a high priority in my opinion.
Without it you'll likely have to remove the saw from the mill unless you can use an off set screw driver.
HUGE PAIN.
It's worth checking on.

PatrickG

As long as the Alaskan doesn't hide the tension screw too completely, only makes it difficult, I can cope.  I have racheting right angle drive screwdrivers and if it is really tough to get to, I could replace the adjustment screw with one thats head I've welded to a flex shaft.

:P  Pat   :P

Shamus

I've been milling for about six months (but only about 4,000 bd ft) with a new 088, and yes, the warranty ran out 3 months ago. But in those three months I did have to take it back to the shop twice for warranty related repairs.
     It's a good saw, but the main drawback I have found is that the air filter gets clogged up really quickly. It needs to be cleaned every time I refuel! Husky definitely has a better design in that department. Oh yeah, and the 088 does have an oil adjuster, but even at full output, it isn't enough oil for milling with a 36" bar, gotta get more on the chain with the auxilliary oiler. No other complaints though...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Danny_S

Well, Its final, I am going with the 3120. The warranty is jsut too good, the oiler is a bonus, the 3/8 chain, its a pretty orange, like my mill.....heheh  It will be ordered in the A.M.

I have actually drummed up a couple of jobs allready, one I will be squaring up cedar for a guy who has a stationary woodmizer, he has a huge siding order and needs to speed things up a bit.   So that's a good start.. get that saw paid for is my first goal.

Stan

With the Alaskan mounted if you can't see the tension adjustment screw, you drill a hole to reach through with your screwdriver.

slowzuki

He wants to wear you out sharpening chain after sawing all that cedar bark :D

Ken

QuoteI have actually drummed up a couple of jobs allready, one I will be squaring up cedar for a guy who has a stationary woodmizer, he has a huge siding order and needs to speed things up a bit.  

Danny_S

Heheh.. thats probably right... maybe a debarker is the next thing on the list....

Well my big husky should be about 12000 feet over Alberta right now... at least I hope. I have alot of work to do .. and fast. Hope to have it ready by the end of next week.  The pic below is what it looks like now.. it will be longer, with a log loader and log turner (manual) built on it as well. And it will have a fresh paint job.

PatrickG

QuoteWith the Alaskan mounted if you can't see the tension adjustment screw, you drill a hole to reach through with your screwdriver.

Stan, Thanks for that.  I couldn't imagine not engineering my way out of trouble accessing a tension screw.  Drilling a hole, what a concept, whoda thunkit?  Migt be easier than fabricating an extended flexible screw.

Oh, and SHAMUS, thanks for the user report on the Stihl. Air intake clogging could get serious in intensive use like a mill, depending on orientation of the saw and the chips falling where they may.  Perhaps a small deflector made of plastic or flashing metal...

Wes

Drill a hole ?  :o, I never thought of that !!! ;D

Thanks, Stan.

Stan

Shucks it weren't my idea, I got it from Will Mallof's "Cahinsaw Lumbermaking". Might just have been the best $100 I've spent.  8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!