iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7.2 kilovolts through the logging truck

Started by campy, May 21, 2010, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

The driver was attempting to throw the logging cable over the logs to secure them and as you can see, hooked the 7.2 kilovolt primary instead!

He said the tires began to fry within seconds.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=df8s28k6_8cjcsb7fn

r.man

The good news was that he was not holding on to the cable to try to control it. They make logs and logging trucks every day. I personally think his glass was half full today and no matter how bad it is it could always be worse.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

zopi

ouch.   Glad the firefighters didn't hit it with water....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Wick

Except for hooking the power line, that's a pretty good toss! That cable is fairly high.

The line should have been dead after the fault. They have relays to open the circuit when faults occur. So the water was O:K.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

thecfarm

I thought I saw this before. But still good to bring it up to remind us all of what could happen.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,33006.0.html

This was from 2 years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

Quote from: Wick on May 22, 2010, 02:40:35 AM
Except for hooking the power line, that's a pretty good toss! That cable is fairly high.

The line should have been dead after the fault. They have relays to open the circuit when faults occur. So the water was O:K.

Uhhh...no..I'm sure they have interrupters, but I work on government electronics...trust nothing.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fstedy

Do Not ever trust the line to be dead you might be making a Fatal mistake. When I worked for the local power company as a lineman there were times when a downed primary line was burning in a gutter full of water for a complete block.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Wick

Ya'll are right, you don't trust it to be dead, you "VERIFY" it is DEAD!!!
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Thank You Sponsors!